• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaner Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaner Polish

Hello,

I would like to know what is the product designated as Cleaner/Polish in 3rd step of the 5-step method. (As indicated in the relative article/thread, there are 2 kinds of polishers the clean/polish and the pure polish).

What I'm looking for is 1 single product that could be used between the washing and waxing steps. My car is a dark blue Alfa Romeo 156 with relatively good paint condition.

Thanks for the assistance!
    Last edited by nikos900; Jun 26, 2006, 04:42 AM.

Are you working by hand or machine at the moment?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

..by hand

Comment

In the Consumer Line of products, Meguiars does not make just a cleaner/polish. The cleaner/polishes are in the Professional Line, and even then, are probably best applied by machine.

In the Consumer Line, the best 1-step product would be a cleaner wax, either the A-12 Cleaner/Wax (red bottle) or ColorX (might be ColourBoost in your area).

It sounds like you might be short on time/effort? Here is wha tI do for my daily driver:

1. Wash
        2. Clay if needed
        3. ColorX
        4. Wax - I use #21, but you could use Gold Class, or Nxt, etc.

Hope that helps.
        Last edited by Murr1525; Jun 27, 2006, 08:09 AM.

Comment

..I will probably go with your suggestion, maybe skipping the clay step (indeed short of time!)

I was thinking of applying cleaner wax before the final wax (GoldClass) but your suggestion of ColorX seems very interesting. I suppose ColorX is a little bit more aggresive than the CleanerWax that is more like a one-step product. is this correct?

Thanks for the great help.

Comment

Yes, ColorX is stronger/more agressive than the regular Cleaner/Wax. You could use either one. They are both considered one-step products, both fall into the category of cleaner/waxes.

I just figure if it is a daily driver, and I am kind of shortcutting things, may as well use the stronger cleaner.
            Last edited by Murr1525; Jun 27, 2006, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Yes its a daily driver, I will go with your suggestions, they fit my profile perfectly.

Thanks again

Comment

cleaner wax related question as well...

In the Consumer Line, the best 1-step product would be a cleaner wax
                doing this by hand using an applicator pad

1) how much force should i apply...not sure if the cleaner wax is an abrasive material like scratch removal where it requires tons of "passion"?

2) should i wipe down the section i'm working on immediately...from what i recall...only waxes you allow time to sit?

when i apply my coat of wax after the cleaner wax...planning to let it settle overnight...then wipe down the next morning...anyone see potential problems with this?

thanx

Comment

The regular Cleaner/Wax (red bottle) is mild like DC#1, so it is not going to be removing many swirls, etc. However, if your car is dirty, then certainly work it in a bit more. If your car is quite clean, you can be more gentle, just wiping it on.

Even with a mostly chemical cleaner, you rubbing it in still helps clean more, if a lot of cleaning is needed.

Now ColorX does have some more diminishing abrasives in it, so you can work it in with more passion if needed. It is not as strong as ScratchX, but it will get some swirls.

The cleaner/waxes count as a wax, as far as doing the whole car, and letting it dry to a haze. Then wipe off.

Well, there is no benefit to letting it sit overnight. And I certainly wouldnt do this if your car is outside. But if you are in a garage, ehh, it is probably ok. Meguiars waxes dont seem to streak much if they sit for a while.

Comment

Murr1525 thanx for the tips & you changed your avatar

ya i read the bottle again and it does count as a wax LOL

i park my car in a garage...could've sworn i recalled the magic # "12" being the time to allow a coat of wax to sit on a car

i'm thinking of leaving the wax on for a few hours to see what happens *4-5 hours*...hopefully nothing bad

i just had time to wash and dry today...did the surface feel inspection...found some areas that need claying

will tackle the claybar/cleaner wax tomorrow

Comment

I figured it was a good off-season picture... though I think it was taken before the Super Bowl. Not sure if the average person can tell it is the Bus or not though...

What you might be thinking of is 12-hours between coats. It is good to leave at least 20 minutes between coats of wax, but 12-hours seems to be the best.

With that, you would apply the wax, let it dry, and remove, but then not apply the next coat for 12 hours.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');