• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's vs Mothers-How they compare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOTHERS IS BETTER!

I just compared the two side by side.

I have to say I prefer Mothers by far !!

I couldn’t find any chocolate chips in #26, #66, #20 or #21.

Last edited by Superior Shine; Jun 23, 2006, 03:34 PM.
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

The recently reformulated M83 uses vanilla chips as the inital abbrasive. Atleast thats what the rep from Mothers told me....
      Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Top Down
        Anyone ever detail golf clubs? I removed scratches on the woods and waxed them, and then used APC on my golf shoes
        my dad has some dremel kit for cleaning his clubs. Maybe i will wax them some day
        Patrick Yu
        2003 Honda Accord
        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Re: MOTHERS IS BETTER!

Originally posted by Superior Shine
          I just compared the two side by side.

I have to say I prefer Mothers by far !!

I couldn’t find any chocolate chips in #26, #66, #20 or #21.

I like Mothers cookies too

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001
            I think Maguiars is similar to Meguiars but Scottish...
            I thought that magwires were the cables coming from the magnetos to the the sparkplugs on a Cessna....
            Meguiar's Fire/Rescue/EMS, member of the Church of the Highly Reflective Finish!
            Waxworks Automotive Detailing

Comment

Can we order those Mother's cookies over ADS? And how much tooth pressure am I supposed to apply to get good breakdown?
              Gil A. Castillo

Comment

I have a friend who uses Mother's Stuf, and some of it I like.

Their Cleaner Wax is rougly equivalent to the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, but no where near as good as ColorX or ScratchX(not a wax). It doesn't have a lot of cleaning abilities, but it clearly has some. It is not worth its price given it costs about the same as ColorX, which is superior (my opinion).

My friend uses their Reflections and FX series wax too. Reflections is similar in quality to the Gold Class stuff if you do the entire program. My friend puts on Reflections Car Wax, then he follows up with Reflections Top Coat, which makes it look good. Apparently, Reflections Car Wax on its own doesn't look all that good. To me, this seems like just another wasted step becuase wax should be your final step.

Mother's FX SynWax is another wax he uses and it is his favorite. As far as I can tell it is just about the same as Nxt Tech Wax, but a little bit less refletive.

If it makes you feel any better, I have another friend who uses Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell stuff and things it is great. He offered me $20 to wax his car after he washed it becuase he hates waxing it. I asked him why he doesn't take the $20 and buy Nxt Tech Wax from Meguiar's and try it instead of his usual Turtle Wax Hard Shell stuff. His response was, "Waxes haven't changed in a long time and Hard Shell is just as good as it was 10 years ago."

I thought to myself, "who am I to argue. It isn't like that hardshell stuff is any better or worse than it used to be."

Well, he left and went to work in his other car and left me to wax his small car. Once he left, I pulled out Nxt Tech Wax Liquid from my car and waxed his car with it instead of the Hard Shell Stuff. It took only 10 minutes to cover his car since it is a small car, so I decided may as well put on a second coat..

When he got back, he was still talking about how great the Turtle Wax Hard Shell looks and he mentioned that it does appear to have improved in appearance lately becuase his car has never turned out as shiney and reflective as it did this time. He asked me about my application technique and I told him it is the same as his technique. He asked me to demonstrate by putting another coat on his hood, so I agreed. I went to my car and got Nxt Tech wax and quickly applied another coat to his hood.

He now uses Nxt Tech Wax exclusively.

Justin

Comment

Cookie and detailing party at Superiors place!!

Used Turtle Wax once, then switched to Meguiar's after my friend did a test spot on my old car's hood with DC#1. Haven't used anything but Meguiar's since!!I use it on my new car today.

Jbirk: Did you give your friend back his $20 and tell him to go buy some NXT Tech Wax? Tell him the lesson was free and he can start waxing his own car for now on.
                  2016 Focus ST

Comment

No need to give him back the $20. He actually has quite a bit more money than I do. His is quite wealthy, but he is also quite chieap.

I.e. he owns 3 homes and rents 2 of them out, which means he has a lot more money than I do. However, he is very cheap. He has a set price he is willing to pay.

For instance at a fast food restaraunt, he limits himself to $5, he will spend no more than 33 cents for a single serving of candy, ... and the list goes on.

However, he will now spend $16 instead of $4 on wax. He has decided it is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jbirk
                      No need to give him back the $20. He actually has quite a bit more money than I do. His is quite wealthy, but he is also quite chieap.

I.e. he owns 3 homes and rents 2 of them out, which means he has a lot more money than I do. However, he is very cheap. He has a set price he is willing to pay.

For instance at a fast food restaraunt, he limits himself to $5, he will spend no more than 33 cents for a single serving of candy, ... and the list goes on.

However, he will now spend $16 instead of $4 on wax. He has decided it is worth it.
                      Well, you don't get rich by spending all of your money!

BTW, for all you lawn mower detailers, have you ever detailed a tool box?

Comment

Originally posted by WaspHunter
                        ...And how much tooth pressure am I supposed to apply to get good breakdown?
                        It takes a fair amount of pressure. Mother’s cookies are crunchy.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001
                          It depends what your looking to accomplish and what products your discussing. Anybody who gives you a blanket response is not being fair, IMO (Saying all of A's products are better then all of B's).

Detailing is based on personal opinions. Mothers produces some really good products and some really bad ones, IMO.

Mothers Products I enjoy include Mothers' Mag and Al. Polish (requires some elbow grease) and Mothers' Detailer Spray (sweet cinammon smell). Thier waxes are pretty good also...

However, I was bitterly disappointed with the cleaning ability of Mother's Califorina Clay Bar. It was junk, IMO. Didn't work well and clogged up pretty quickly...

Being that I use mostly the professional product lines, I no longer use their detail spray because I have found the Meguiars' last touch more effective and I can cut it with water to use for clay lube. I do miss the sweet smell of the Mother's however.

I still have a tin of their Mag and Al. polish, though lately I have been getting equal results from Meg's NXT All Metal Polysh with out the elbow grease, though I still use the Mothers for the real heavy stuff.

Find what you like, and stick with it

P.S. Its Meguiars' LOL
                          If you like the smell of cinnamon, you need to get some Last Touch Foam detailer (in the aerosol can). The Last Touch liquid smells like coconut, which I happen to really like! It makes me think I'm in the Bahamas!

RamAirV1
                          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Re: Maguiars vs Mothers-How they compare?

I like Meguiars products, second to none. However, I used to use NXT Tech Wax (first version), until I tried Mothers FX Synwax. It was comparable, but Synwax was far easier to use, in my perspective. I have not tried the Tech Wax 2.0 yet though. Is it easier to apply and remove than the first version?

Comment

Holy "old thread revival" batman!
                              ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Originally posted by EPHIOS View Post
                                I like Meguiars products, second to none. However, I used to use NXT Tech Wax (first version), until I tried Mothers FX Synwax. It was comparable, but Synwax was far easier to use, in my perspective. I have not tried the Tech Wax 2.0 yet though. Is it easier to apply and remove than the first version?
                                Haha, Ephios. Are you still wrestling with whether to buy a bottle of NXT? In December it sounded like you had made up your mind to lay down the cash. Just go ahead and do it! It will only hurt for that minute or two you're standing at the register.

Once you have it, you can compare SynWax and NXT and share with us your results. And if you're not happy with NXT, you can always take it back to the store (with your receipt) and get your money back. So what do you have to lose?

BTW, I haven't tried SynWax, but I have tried Mother's Reflections and like it a lot on my black car. And it too is easy to apply and remove.
                                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                                --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');