• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's vs Mothers-How they compare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiar's vs Mothers-How they compare?

How does Maguiars and Mothers compare to the end result?

Are they both easy to apply by hand or a machine?

How long does each one last?

For me it's Maguiars.

In the past it was Mothers.

Thanks Joe

This is a pretty subjective question.

In my case, I used to use Mother's products exclusively...until I tried my first Meguiar's product. From that point on, I have been buying nothing but Megs and every product I try proves to be better than the equivalent Mother's item...to the point that I believe I have an addiction.

Hi, my name is Steve and I'm a Megsaholic....
    1968 Mustang Coupe Candy Apple Red
    1990 Limited Editon Mustang 5.0 Convertible (7UP Car)

Comment

Originally posted by Stangfan
      This is a pretty subjective question.

In my case, I used to use Mother's products exclusively...until I tried my first Meguiar's product. From that point on, I have been buying nothing but Megs and every product I try proves to be better than the equivalent Mother's item...to the point that I believe I have an addiction.

Hi, my name is Steve and I'm a Megsaholic....
      But have you ever detailed your lawn mower ??
      Bill Poirier
      West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Re: Maguiars vs Mothers-How they compare?

Originally posted by Dieseljoe
        How does Maguiars and Mothers compare to the end result?Are they both easy to apply by hand or a machine?How long does each one last?For me it's Maguiars.In the past it was Mothers.Thanks Joe
        The best thing to do is to test them out yourself... Depending on what you're working on, start out with something as simple as our car wash like NXT Car Wash or Gold Class Car wash, then maybe pick up a bottle of our ColorX and test it against their cleaner/wax or NXT Tech Wax or Gold Class Wax against their California Gold or anything else.

Just give similar product a test and see what you think...

p.s.

it's... Meguiar's
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by TKDDAD
          LOL once i did it twice in one day
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord
          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

It depends what your looking to accomplish and what products your discussing. Anybody who gives you a blanket response is not being fair, IMO (Saying all of A's products are better then all of B's).

Detailing is based on personal opinions. Mothers produces some really good products and some really bad ones, IMO.

Mothers Products I enjoy include Mothers' Mag and Al. Polish (requires some elbow grease) and Mothers' Detailer Spray (sweet cinammon smell). Thier waxes are pretty good also...

However, I was bitterly disappointed with the cleaning ability of Mother's Califorina Clay Bar. It was junk, IMO. Didn't work well and clogged up pretty quickly...

Being that I use mostly the professional product lines, I no longer use their detail spray because I have found the Meguiars' last touch more effective and I can cut it with water to use for clay lube. I do miss the sweet smell of the Mother's however.

I still have a tin of their Mag and Al. polish, though lately I have been getting equal results from Meg's NXT All Metal Polysh with out the elbow grease, though I still use the Mothers for the real heavy stuff.

Find what you like, and stick with it

P.S. Its Meguiars' LOL
            Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by TKDDAD
              Twice.

Once by hand using Zymol Cleaner Wax and really working it with a ton of elbow grease...

Comment

Originally posted by TH0001
                It depends what your looking to accomplish and what products your discussing. Anybody who gives you a blanket response is not being fair, IMO (Saying all of A's products are better then all of B's).

Detailing is based on personal opinions. Mothers produces some really good products and some really bad ones, IMO.

Mothers Products I enjoy include Mothers' Mag and Al. Polish (requires some elbow grease) and Mothers' Detailer Spray (sweet cinammon smell). Thier waxes are pretty good also...

However, I was bitterly disappointed with the cleaning ability of Mother's Califorina Clay Bar. It was junk, IMO. Didn't work well and clogged up pretty quickly...

Being that I use mostly the professional product lines, I no longer use their detail spray because I have found the Meguiars' last touch more effective and I can cut it with water to use for clay lube. I do miss the sweet smell of the Mother's however.

I still have a tin of their Mag and Al. polish, though lately I have been getting equal results from Meg's NXT All Metal Polysh with out the elbow grease, though I still use the Mothers for the real heavy stuff.

Find what you like, and stick with it

P.S. Its Meguiars' LOL
                the clay bar is no good, i have heard people that have gotten like 6 cars out of a clay bar, i can't even get one they had this rock chip repair kit that was really good, but they discontinued it, i've heard it was made by langka
                Patrick Yu
                2003 Honda Accord

Comment

I have never heard of "Maguiars".
                  Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I think Maguiars is similar to Meguiars but Scottish...

Comment

In terms of experience, I was once asked to help someone wax his car - he had a bottle of Mother's reflections. He told me Meguiars wasn't a 'premium' brand, assuming all Meg's made was NXT.

Compared to the Cleaner Wax Paste I currently use, both apply about the same and give similar depth of gloss. However, the Mother's stuff was incredibly difficult to buff off, to the point where I was worried I was going to scratch the paint with the pressure I needed. I don't help him wax his car any more.

I'd have to agree with Mike and say the best way to find out how indivdual products compare would be to get both, or find someone with the other product so you can compare.
                      Gil A. Castillo

Comment

I've had good results with Mothers and never had any problems with their products. But I've just been so satisfied with Meguiars since I've got back into detailing.

Comment

I only wax the mower once a year.
                          2000 SS Camaro, slightly modded.

Comment

Originally posted by davered00ss
                            I only wax the mower once a year.
                            LOL i did it and then i mowed the lawn i don't know what i was thinking
                            so i had to do it twice
                            Patrick Yu
                            2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Anyone ever detail golf clubs? I removed scratches on the woods and waxed them, and then used APC on my golf shoes

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');