• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"California" water blades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "California" water blades

Does anyone use the California water blade? I've had one for years to get most of the water off and then towel dried.

Now that I know more about proper paint care, I was wondering if the blade is safe for my paint? The blade is amazingly flexible and soft still. I don't see any scratches that could be attributed to blade but then again... I've got a lot of swirls and oxidation that could easily hide light scratches.

For the record, I now use the blade to get most of the water off and then use a large waffle weave microfiber towel to dry. I also use a two bucket method to wash the car. I have the PC...just need to save up some money for the polishing pads and foam gun.

I would still like to use the blade as it makes drying the car so much faster...but would stop if it is considered to be a scratch maker.

Well, I dunno.. I wont start using it, but people do use it without problems, so who knows. I'd certainly use it with a soft touch.

But for your foam gun, and any other quick-connects, nozzles, etc, order direct from Gilmour, its like 20 bucks cheaper.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I first saw the water blade at an outdoor Memorial Day car show. These guys were using it on big money restored muscle cars. I figured the restoration costs of the cars had to have cost at least as much as my new Accord. I probably don't use it as gently as I should.

Comment

I've been using one with good success for about 5 years now. But the key to getting the most out of it is what car you're using it on.

A car/truck with lots of little ridges or indentations is gonna be tougher than say a car/truck with lots of flat smooth panels. It's hard to get the blade in the crevices so the you end up having to towel it down anyway.

Even still for the cost of one... you can get all your flat panels dried in no time then use a good towel for the spots the blade can't reach. I usually have the blade in one hand and a towel in the other, make a pass with the blade, then wipe the blade dry, then repeat. then use the towel for anything the blade missed. It goes pretty quick!
        2006 Impulse Blue GTO
        1999 Indigo Blue S10

Comment

I've used one myself for a couple of months now, and haven't noticed any problems. However, before making my purchase I consulted with various professional detailers that had 20+ years experience. Every time I got the same response.

The blade should be more than safe to use since it is made of a soft rubber. What you need to be worried about is the collection of dirt on the blade. After every couple of wipes you should wipe the blade with a damp rag to take off any possible dirt build up.

I also have to agree with the last comment on the ease of use. Really depends what car your working with. If you don't have too many ridges it is great!

Comment

I use the California Blade to dry my truck. After I use the blade, I finish dying it with a 100% cotton towel. I think it works really well. I always make sure my truck or my wifes Jeep is washed real well and I always rince off the blade after I use it and store it back in the original reclosable container that it came in. I real happy with it.

Comment

I do basically the same thing...
              • Give car a thorough prewash rinse
              • 2 bucket method to wash
              • Thorough post wash rinse
              • Wash the blade before using
              • Wash it afterwards
              • Store all wash tools in a bucket with lid

Comment

i use it and a leaf bower to get the nooks and crannys

Comment

I used a leaf blower once. Wasn't completely clean and put some minor scratches on my roof.

I don't think my electric one is quite powerful enough to help with drying though, it seemed I took less time with the blade and the water magnets.
                  Gil A. Castillo

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');