• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buffing new paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buffing new paint

hello guys i have a 1999 gtp and i just had it painted g9900 black.
    and i'm going to do the wet sanding. i have practice before
    on my truck. and i just have a few questions? these are the tools i have. #4000 pad #8000 pad. #85. and #9. and i also have 1500 grit and 2000 grit. do you guys think i'm going in the right direction? and i have a pro buffer.

and the paint is 3 months old
    g99

I am no expert on the topic, but I do belive Meguiars makes sanding papers up to 3000 grit. Certainly may want to go finer than 2000 to make marks easier to remove.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hi gtpboy, to MOL!

Learning to wetsand, cut and buff a finish normally takes instruction from an experienced teacher and a fair bit of practice. It’s not something you want to try on your own, not on a finish that’s important to you anyway.

If you have a paint job that you don’t mind messing up and having to re-spray I’d say go to town on it. But if you value this paint it's wise to either find another car(s) to practice on first or have a professional do it.

PC.

Comment

What The Other PC said

Unless you have some orangepeel that you just can't live with, I'd skip the wetsanding.

And I'm with Murr1525 about using fine grit paper if it'll do the job.

If you do try it, I myself prefer the 3000 grit Unigrit paper. Not a big deal to remove 3K sanding scratches, you don't need to get nearly as aggressive as #85/#4000. I'd only consider 1500 grit for something that's really messed up and I found a big difference between 2000 and 3000 too, though 2000 scratches came out without getting really aggressive too (and this was on hard paint).
        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

ok thanks guys. i'll just do it with 2000 grit. i'll post some pic up soon.
          g99

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');