• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel Cleaner vs. Tire Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Cleaner vs. Tire Cleaner

What is the difference between Wheel Cleaner vs Tire Cleaner?
    Can't tire cleaner be used on rims as well as tires and wheel cleaner used on tires as well as rims? Is there any thing harmful about doing that?

I used Meguiars All Wheel Cleaner and I was extremely impressed with the job it did on my rims.

But not anywhere on the spray bottle did I see the word "Tire" Appear.

Does Meguiar's make a product that you can use on both rims and tires to clean off dirt and brake dust?
    RW

Well, tire cleaners clean tires, and wheel cleaners clean wheels.

Seriously, you should use two separate products. The two are not interchangeable because a tire cleaner is designed to clean rubber, while a wheel cleaner is designed to clean a hard surface such as chrome, aluminum, or a clearcoat.

As far as I know, there are very few tire cleaners out there. Meguiar's makes an NXT tire cleaner, but I've not tried it.

I've used Westley's Bleche-Wite for many years with good results. Its readily available in most auto parts stores. I've used it for a very long time because (a) it works very well, and (b) besides the new NXT tire cleaner, there are essentially no alternative products to use. Spray it on a dry tire, let it sit for 2-3 minutes, scrub with a brush, then rinse. You won't believe how much brown gook comes off your tires (its mostly embedded brake dust). Follow up with a good dressing and you'll have beautiful rubber!
    Last edited by Toady; Jun 1, 2006, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I would have to agree that you will get better results with using a tire cleaner on tires, and the appropriate wheel cleaner on your wheels.

However, you can use a general cleaner like the All-Purpose Cleaner for a light cleanng.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I have tried the NXT Tire cleaner and it is awesome!!!
        I have been a life long Bleach White user. Bleach Wite is a great product, highly effective, but I like the NXT tire cleaner better. I like the foam application. I like how it clings to the tire walls. It is MUCH easier on my lungs than a spray cleaner because it is pretty darn hard to accidently inhale foam.

The BIGGEST problem I have though is that I can't find any place that sells NXT Tire Cleaner. I mean other than meguiar's online. IF anyone knows of any retailers that sell it please let me know.
        Last edited by RWayne; Jun 3, 2006, 05:27 PM.
        RW

Comment

BTW I would like to thank the Lincoln Fan from NY for the tip on tire cleaners vs wheel cleaners. That answered my question.
          RW

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');