• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about synthetic & polymer sealants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about synthetic & polymer sealants

Hi fellow meguiars online members,fellow autopia.org member here,i am interested in purchasing 2 64oz bottles each of the meguiars #20 polymer sealant and the meguiars #21 synthetic sealant,i was wondering how many months of durability each wax offers and i was wondering what the differences in formulationb are,i am going to buy 2 of each anyways.

I was wondering if meguiars sells bottles i can distribute the product into for easier handling/travel management. I am also wondering how it stands up to heat from the brakes if i want to apply it to alloy wheels,chrome,windows & mirrors.

I am also interested in knowing if meguiars sells twisted wool pads for a porter cable 7424 for more agressive deep swirl & scratch removal,i also would like a meguiars branded foam agressive cutting pad,as well as a light cutting/polishing pad and a finishing pad, i would like the wool cutting pad to be able to thread directly onto my porter cable if possible,i would like the buffing pads to be compatible with my lake country branded 6.5" foam pad kit with backing plate,i'm not sure of the backing plate size but it is made for 6.5" buffing pads.

Sorry for such a long post,thank you for the advice, i hope to post more here and on autopia as i have been a stranger and a bit shy to post long questions like this,but i guess this is how you learn.

Anyway,please give me suggestions, much appreciated!

Sincerely,
    Peter C. Bellantoni Jr - President/Founder
    Pete's Auto Detail & Repair Llc
    Peter C. Bellantoni Junior/President
    Pete's Auto Detail & Repair Llc.

Pete,

It appears that you are in the professional detailing business. I'm just a long time (and old) amateur, but here goes.

Both #20 and #21 will hold up very well on alloy wheels. Most of the pros and amateurs are going with #21. There is really no reason to have both. However both #20 and #21 require that the surface be clean and in good shape before applying them. I see no polishes on your list. You should have at least #83 and #80 on your list. I also suggest #66 which is a pretty aggressive one step cleaner/wax (called Quick Detailer).

No one is using wool pads on their Porter Cable 7424's. The most aggressive pad suggested by Meguiars for a pc is their polishing pad. I use both Lake Country pads and Meguiars pads and really don't notice much difference in their performance. Your present backing plate will work with the Meguiars pads.

If you are really serious about detailing, you should probably buy a good rotary buffer and learn how to use it. I don't see how pro-detailers can do their jobs without one.

The bottles you are looking for and all of Meguiars products are available from their e-store http://meguiars.com/estore/

Good luck.

Tom

Comment

AUTODETAILINGSOLUTIONS DOT COM, IMO
      Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Auto Detailing Solutions (ADS) is having a small sale, and they carry the entire Meguiar's Line.

I've not used #20, but I can speak from personal experience about #21. I just re-applied it on my Jeep the other day, the last time I had applied it was in Mid-Febuary. I know it can last longer, but I wanted to re-apply. I'm pretty sure I could make two thin coats of #21 last the entire Texas summer if I had to.

All waxes will break down under heat, that being said, #21 is no differnt. I can see it lasting a month, maybe, under the heat of the breaks, maybe more maybe less. I'm having to clean my wheels once or twice a week, because I use performance pads, but I notice its much easier to remove the brake dust.

Comment

Re: Questions about synthetic & polymer sealants

Hi autoguru21, to MOL!

Originally posted by autoguru21
          …I was wondering if meguiars sells bottles i can distribute the product into for easier handling/travel management.…
          Meg’s has dispenser bottles and sprayers for bulk products. They have bottles that are pre-labeled for the Detailer line products or generic mark-it-yourself bottles for any/all products.

Since you’re a pro I’d highly recommend calling Customer Care (1.800.347.5700) and having them mail you a pro line catalog.

PC.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');