• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your ca

Want to capture swirls and defects without looking like you're pointing at the obvious? Virtually every auto-focus camera has a halfway point on the shutter release (the take a picture button ) that locks the focus.

Set up for your shot, put your finger in the frame close to the defect you're trying to capture, press the shutter release halfway to lock the focus, move your finger out of frame, and finally continue to press the shutter release to take the picture.

Comment

Re: How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your ca

Originally posted by joncz View Post
      Want to capture swirls and defects without looking like you're pointing at the obvious? Virtually every auto-focus camera has a halfway point on the shutter release (the take a picture button ) that locks the focus.

Set up for your shot, put your finger in the frame close to the defect you're trying to capture, press the shutter release halfway to lock the focus, move your finger out of frame, and finally continue to press the shutter release to take the picture.

Nice trick there!

But make sure your camera is not set to "continual focus". Nothing is easy anymore is it?

Comment

I am not having very good luck with this. I am taking these pictures in my garage. Is that my problem? I have swirls.. just not showing up on this camera. where do I put the flash light so it will catch it

2002 Yellow Chevy Monte Carlo SS
        My Albums: http://s394.photobucket.com/albums/pp24/Johnson0667/

Comment

I had the pleasure of attending a detailing clinic with Mike back in the early part of 2009 with my brother's Altima. He showed us the coin technique of capturing swirl marks.

And now I've been tasked with photographing imperfections regularly for a friend that has a detailing company. The swirls are easy, but what about orange peel or surface imperfections like unevenness due to bondo?

I've tried using something else to focus on like a piece of tape. I've also tried setting the aperture higher so that it keep everything in focus sharply in order to avoid any depth of field that could blur out the imperfections. I've tried using something to reflect in the paint like a piece of paper with lines. Some of these methods work, but inconsistently. Any ideas appreciated.
          Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Comment

Spider-web seems to show up better around the outer edge of a direct, single point, light source reflection. The sun directly over head... a bright light of some kind. Water spots seem to show better in a reflection of an indirect light that is a light color and quite bright. Bright sky, full sun reflected at an angle. But not a dark color reflection. Dark clouds in sky, or dark wall in background doesn't help to show. Orange peel also shows up better against an indirect, bright color reflection that is not as intense. But, I think seeing orange peel also needs a contrasting background reflection. You'll see it in the bright part of the reflection if there is a dark reflection next to the bright part. Another good way to see orange peel is when two cars are right next to each other, in bright sunlight. Like in a parking lot. The sun reflects off of your car onto the car next to yours. The orange peel from your car shows in the reflection on the other car.

Comment

Great tips! I've got a white car so its even more difficult to capture the swirls with white paint!
              I've been told I'm obsessed with my car, but I've got the cleanest car on the block!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');