• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car first cleaning - confused by plethora of options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car first cleaning - confused by plethora of options

A little eductation and guidance would be appreciated. I've just used Megs cleaner/wax for the last several years, but now have a new car thats a few weeks old and I am ready for its first cleaning.

I don't usually have time & location available for an all day detailing, but I'd still like to get a solid foundation for the finish on the car which is always parked outside (no garage). Being new, it has no noticeable swirls or scratches.

After washing, I was originally planning on a cleaning product followed by a wax, but after reading here, I'm inclined to go wash/clay/???/wax. I'm assuming I can't do much damage being a novice clayer. Please fill in the ??? for me. I've already purchased the smooth surface clay kit, NXT wax and NXT speed detailer.

Do I just need the paint cleaner? just the polish? both? neither? something else? I know his seems like a pretty basic question, but after reading so much here it left me confused as to the proper product(s) to be using.

Thanks for your help

Be sure to read these threads, just in case you havent seen them yet..

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Nonetheless, if you dont have time for a full 5 step detail, here is a good solution...

1. Wash

2. Clay - Smooth Surface Clay kit

3. ColorX

4. Wax - I like #21, but Nxt, or any other wax could also be used.

That is a great procedure for a quicker detail. The ColorX will cover the cleaner, polish, and 1st wax step in one. Here is a pic of ColorX in use..

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover
    Last edited by Murr1525; May 22, 2006, 01:20 PM.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks. No swirls or defects to address for now. I have read the 5-step cycle. It's the clean/polish process and what product (s) applies or which can be skipped on a new car finish that leaves me a little confused.

I'm off to read the suggested products for a new car link.

Comment

Well, you always want to try and cover the clean, polish, and wax steps when detailing.

This is why I mentioned the ColorX product, or you could use the Cleaner/Wax as well. I use ColorX often.

It covers all three steps in one product, so you arent skipping anything. But it still cuts out a number of steps. You can look at it like this:

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. Clean - Deep Crystal #1.

4. Polish - Deep Crystal #2.

5. Wax - Whichever wax of your choice.

6. Wax - Remember 2 thin coats are best.

OR:

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. ColorX

4. Wax

As you can see it is a few steps shorter, making it a bit easier for those of us on tight schedules.

Comment

I thought perhaps color X might be a bit too harsh for a new car finish since it's listed as "the tested and proven system to restore deep color and gloss from your oxidized or contaminated paint finish."

Comment

It is fine for a new car as well.

Remember, part of the cleaning power comes from you. If you dont have any marks to remove, dont work it in as hard. On that Ford Bronco link, Mike is working it in very agressively/pasionatley.

You could use ColorX every month for years... even longer if you are very mild with it.
            Last edited by Murr1525; May 22, 2006, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');