Thread: remove cracks? in paint

remove cracks? in paint

Hi guys. After detailing my wife's Jeep a few weekends ago, I noticed a whole bunch on small cracks in the paint mainly on the hood. They almost look like small vein like cracks. I can barly feel them with my finger. I'm sure they were always there but they are noticable after using #80 and two thin coats of #20. Actually my wife poinetd it out to me after I was done detailing it. Is there anything i can use to get rid of these or are they actuall cracks in the paint that can't be removed. The paint has a nice shine to it. Not quite as deep as reflective as I would like but maybe if I can get rid of these cracks and use a slightly more agressive product, I can get rid of some of the remaining swirl marks and have a bettter look. Thanks in advance for the help.

There really nothing that we offer that's going to repair cracked paint. Sound like the finish migh have been repainted. Is this true? Paint cracking occurs when a finish is prepped correctly when being repainted.

that sounds similar to what my friends dads explorer looked like. The clear coat on the hood was cracked. looked like there was hair in the clear, but you could barely feel it and catch with a finger nail.

Originally posted by Jorge Sanchez
    There really nothing that we offer that's going to repair cracked paint. Sound like the finish might have been repainted. Is this true? Paint cracking occurs when a finish is prepped incorrectly when being repainted.

Cracking is a common finish defect. It can occur on a new finish that has been improperly applied or on an old finish due to aging, weathering and temperature cycling.

The only way to repair it is to sand it down (or strip it off) and respray.

PC.

Thanks for the replies. That what I thought. I don't think her Jeep was every repainted but you never know. I think it's more about the paint being neglected. Supposedly, the previous owner had it detailed once a year. The last year she owned it, her son drove it. It doesn't seem like he ever did anything to it. Just a few small dings nothing major but some pretty good scratches. Also, it a 1998. Thanks again everyone for the replies. We'll live with it for know and maybe get it repainted eventually. It's not noticeable from a distance. Only up close.

Thread Information