• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic car wash damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic car wash damage

It appears the previous owner of my car was fond of automatic car washes. I'm struggling to remove straight line scratches at the cowl of the hood and the leading edge of the roof.

I have a PC 7424, and I started with #9, and quickly realized that wouldn't cut it. I went to #83 DACP, and definitely started lifting more material. The bad news is I'm still not getting down to the scratches. Apparently they're a little deeper than I'd hoped, but they don't look that deep. I realize that's a noob statement, but I am new.

I'm working on a fifteen year old Porsche with Guards Red paint. I'm not trying to get the car into concours condition. I just would like to get it more presentable.

Would the Compound Power Cleaner be the next step?
    '89 951

You might give Meguiar's burgandy pad and DACP another try. Set the pc at 5 or so and hang on.

I've found that 3M Perfect-It II and 3M Perfect-It III rubbing compounds work OK with a pc and the burgandy pad. I'd try that next. Follow the rubbing compounds with DACP and a polishing pad. That should take care of any micomarring

The final solution is a rotary buffer.

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

I just ordered a burgundy pad. I'll give it a shot.

I'm just trying to avoid going to a rotary buffer, because of inexperience. Not to mention the fact I don't own one.

I was pretty impressed with what the DACP pulled up. The paint didn't appear too oxidized, the car's led a garaged life.

I also ordered the CPC. Since that and the 3M compound both claim to remove 1200 grit marks, I figured maybe they're about equal.
      Last edited by Red1; Jun 10, 2004, 07:01 AM.
      '89 951

Comment

The Compound Power Cleaner is quite aggressive, even with the 'safe' PC.

I'd start with the new Burgundy pad and DACP - see what happens, with a fair amount of pressure, at speed #5. Lighten up after the third pass.

If you need to progress to Compound Power Cleaner, use the yellow pad. Then of course, you'll need to clean that up with more DACP, and then a fine polish. Remember that you are removing paint with each pass. Has it been buffed in its past? Just keep the paint thickness in mind...

BTW, I'm doing a '88 944 Guards Red on the 19th (and 21st!) - no reflectivity at all!

Good Luck

Jim
        If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Hi Red1,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Please keep us updated with your results from using the W-7006 cutting pad on the PC, especially with more aggressive products.

I have people tell me once in a while that this works pretty good, but what I have noticed is it has a tendency to dull your finish down. That's okay if your restore the clarity and gloss by re-polishing with a W-8006 and a cleaner/polish like the DACP or the SFP, but if not... then it may require a rotary to undo the damage and restore the clarity and gloss.

I'm very interested in your results.

Jim

Is the 1988 Porsche a single stage?

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I really appreciate all the feedback. I like Jim's idea of aggressive pad/DACP before going to the CPC. And I will do CPC/yellow pad if it comes to it. I hadn't thought out how the pad/compound combination would affect the rate of cut. It makes sense, and I'm glad you pointed it out. Might've kept me from going more aggressive than I have to.

I expect the finish to be dulled down a bit in order to reach these scratches. I'm hoping I can recover the shine with subsequent lighter applications of polish and swirl remover. I'm prepared for the process to take time and effort. Nothing with this car has been easy.
            '89 951

Comment

Jim
              Is the 1988 Porsche a single stage?
              You know, I don't recall, I did 'test' it with a cleaner polish rub, but there were so many other issues with the car (2 weeks ago) that I only remember that 'I could take care of it'. Needs stonegard replacement, trim renewal, touchup...

But is has Recaro seats, 5 point harness, tuned suspension, and more. The new owner is a SCCA licensed driver, so I'm sure he'll make it a worthwhile venture.

I'll post some b4 and afters...

Jim
              If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Originally posted by Red1
                I'm hoping I can recover the shine with subsequent lighter applications of polish and swirl remover.
                This is my concern when I read about people using aggressive pads and compounds with the PC.

The PC will remove defects with aggressive compounds and foam pads, (even wool and other fiber pads), but can you recover?

That is the question, can you recover.

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

The PC will remove defects with aggressive compounds and foam pads, (even wool and other fiber pads), but can you recover?

That is the question, can you recover.

Mike
                  Well, I dunno. Guess we'll find out. The more I look at it, the more I realize how much there is to be done.

I have to remember my original goal is to just clean it up a bit. Getting it to a scratch-free wet look is probably an unrealistic goal, given what I've got to work with. So far, I've got nothing but positive things to say about the Meguiar's products I've been using, and this forum, for that matter.

'89 951

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');