• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Detail

Im pretty new to the forum and detailing in general. Just got into it. Here is a shot at my first engine detail. Got 62K miles on the car. Would love to hear what products everyone uses on engine compartments.

Looks great, now do mine! :lol
    Right now I'm trying to keep the mice out so the hood is constantly open with electronic pest controllers in the engine.

Comment

man that looks NICE!!!

list of products?

how long it take you?

Comment

Thanks guys,

Mostly just cleaning wipes and the protectant wipes. I did use WD40 on some of the parts. Used some foam paint brushes to get into the tight spots (worked great). And lots of paper towels.

Took all told, 3 - 4 hours. But I didnt do it in one sitting. I would do a little whenever I had free time.

Comment

looks great!!
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord
          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by 99jag
            Thanks guys,

Mostly just cleaning wipes and the protectant wipes. I did use WD40 on some of the parts. Used some foam paint brushes to get into the tight spots (worked great). And lots of paper towels.

Took all told, 3 - 4 hours. But I didnt do it in one sitting. I would do a little whenever I had free time.
            well worth the time because it looks awesome. good job again.

Comment

thanks again, I've got lots to learn. But its fun to get it all done. I am looking to replace the plastic piece that is holding the radiator. Its all marked up. Does that mean I'm hooked, replacing engine trim just so it looks good?

Comment

Re: Engine Detail

I'm glad to see this section. Got a 97 Maxima. Tried different Meguiar's products on exterior and inside car. Die hard Meguiar's products fan. About the only section I haven't done is the engine compartment. Figured the all purpose cleaner was the way to go. Did it occur to you to try the Heavy Duty Shop wipes? I'm curious about that. The only thing I'm really waiting on is talking to the dealership as to what I can clean and/or "get wet", and time. Just as a side note, my first encounter wth Meguiar's products was in 1977 on a '77 Datsun 280z. Hence the name classic53. My daughters have taken a interest in their cars due to the results I've given my car and my wife's Murano. In a sense it's like the old TV series, Kung Fu. Grasshopper learn from teacher. Grasshopper has now become teacher. Their friends ask them how they do it. Their first response is, "it's Meguiar's". Cool huh !! Sorry I got off topic, but I couldn't resist telling the history. Did you try Meguiar's degreaser? Or, have you heard of anyone that has? Afterwards, did you put protectant or trim detailer on any parts? Question to the general members. Has anyone tried using tire cleaner on the rubber hoses? Or, is everybody sticking with the all purpose cleaner?

Comment

I'm glad to see this section. Got a 97 Maxima. Tried different Meguiar's products on exterior and inside car. Die hard Meguiar's products fan. About the only section I haven't done is the engine compartment. Figured the all purpose cleaner was the way to go. Did it occur to you to try the Heavy Duty Shop wipes? I'm curious about that. The only thing I'm really waiting on is talking to the dealership as to what I can clean and/or "get wet", and time. Just as a side note, my first encounter wth Meguiar's products was in 1977 on a '77 Datsun 280z. Hence the name classic53. My daughters have taken a interest in their cars due to the results I've given my car and my wife's Murano. In a sense it's like the old TV series, Kung Fu. Grasshopper learn from teacher. Grasshopper has now become teacher. Their friends ask them how they do it. Their first response is, "it's Meguiar's". Cool huh !! Sorry I got off topic, but I couldn't resist telling the history. Did you try Meguiar's degreaser? Or, have you heard of anyone that has? Afterwards, did you put protectant or trim detailer on any parts? Question to the general members. Has anyone tried using tire cleaner on the rubber hoses? Or, is everybody sticking with the all purpose cleaner?

Comment

Looks great!! Nice job on it.

I used APC + on my engine then dressed it with #40. It turned out very well IMO and the #40 seems to be holding up pretty well.

I don't know what kind of car you have, classic53, but on my Chevy S10, I covered up the alternator and battery terminals with plastic wrap, and that seemed to work fine even with me spraying water at it with the hose. My truck started right up without any problems once I was done. I did use an air compressor to blow all the water out before I started it, though.

I'm afraid you are showing all the symptoms of being Car Crazy, 99jag. It is an incurable disease. jk

Lol that's awesome, classic53.
                    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
                    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
                    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');