• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's #7 Meguiar's Glaze and #9 Swirl Remover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiar's #7 Meguiar's Glaze and #9 Swirl Remover

Hi guys , my new paint hase some light swirls on it .
    I have read that i can use meguiars #7 meguiars glaze and #9 swirl remover on fresh paint .

Aftermarket paint jobs continue to cure for two to three months. During this time you shouldn't wax the finish, because solvents and other volatile paint components are still evaporating. However you can safely use pure polishes like Meguiar's #7 Meguiar's Glaze and #9 Swirl Remover on fresh paint without any damage. These products are silicone free, and don't seal the surface of the finish, so the paint can properly cure.

Is this true ? the paint is like 2 weeks old

Yes, you do not want to seal fresh paint with a wax/sealant. But a cleaner or polish will not seal the surface.

You also may consider a small bottle of #80, as it also contains a paintable polymer that will offer a little protection until your paint is finished curing.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

so its also safe to use on new aftermarktet paint job

Comment

Actualy it is aftermarket paint jobs, or re-sprays, touch-ups, etc that need to have 60-90 days of cure time before waxing/sealing. So only use cleaners and polishes until the 90 days is up.

Paint jobs on a new car are baked at the factory, which speeds cure time. So paint on a new car isnt exactly 'fresh' and you can wax/seal a new car as soon as you bring it home.

Comment

yeah i know , i know from my bodyshop that they have used infrared drying dont know exactly what that mean but ok

Comment

You should be able to ask the body shop how long it takes for their paint to cure, with the process they use.

For people who dont know how long they need to wait, waiting 90 days is best. But if you can get more exact information, they may say 60, or 30, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
              You should be able to ask the body shop how long it takes for their paint to cure, with the process they use..
              Heh heh, seems like a lot more guys know how to spray paint than know about the curing period. I've had shops say all sorts of stuff that was utterly inaccurate.

When MirrorFinishMan queried the paint manufacturers the shortest period any of them specified was 90 days.
              Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Well , 2 weeks ago when i picked my car at the bodyshop my car already had some wax on it or something when it rains the water on the car looks just like when its on wax . so i think they already have waxed it with some stuff . But maybe i should just call them to ask , 90 days wating is very long , and with the nice weahter now i really dont wanna see the swirls

Comment

Beading doesn't necessarily mean they waxed it. Fresh paint will often bead OK on its own and glazes will cause beading anyhow.

I'd wash it when it needs it and see how it looks. If it no longer beads/looks the way you want it then use a fresh-paint-safe product. If it beads like it's freshly waxed, I'd give the situation a little thought and decide what you want to do/not do.

Not saying you oughta do this, but if *I* thought my fresh repaint had been waxed I'd de-wax it with something nice and mild (Deep Crystal paint cleaner, #9, something like that) and apply some #5.
                  Practical Perfectionist

Comment

thanks. this answers my questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Accumulator
                      Beading doesn't necessarily mean they waxed it. Fresh paint will often bead OK on its own and glazes will cause beading anyhow.
                      A freshly clayed car will bead also......and there is nothing there.

Comment

Probably because there aren't contaminants on the paint making it easy for water to cling.

Never heard of infrared drying before... Maybe its a process that allows them to cure the paint (faster) without risk to the interior and rubber?
                        Gil A. Castillo

Comment

yeah i think so , its with infrared light

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');