• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! White water spots and streaks on wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! White water spots and streaks on wheels

Hello all,

I am very upset as my 2002 passat GLX mags seem to have water marks ( white streaks and spots) on them and it does not come off after washing the car.
    The wheels are clearcoated I believe.
    Does Maguiars ahev a product to remove this ?

Can I buy anything to clean them or are they tarnished for good
    http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/johnny...e2.jpg&.src=ph

I can send a cleaer picture if needed as you can see towards the middle of wheel the white lines and streaks.
    Thanks in advance,
    Johnny

Have you tried anything already?

Certainly looks like some kind of staining...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hi Thanks for the response !

I haven't tried anyhting yet but just don't want to make it worse...

Some say a plastic polish because of the clearcoat?

I can send a bigger picture if you want

Any ideas?
      Johnny

Comment

I mean did it come after washing the car, or after anything eas used on it? Or was it used, and someone else did it? Or just showed up?

Well, first you are just going to have to clean the wheels, to get everything ready to work on, and see if it helps. I really like the new Hot Rims Multi-Piece Wheel Cleaner. Just hose yoru wheel, spray it on, let it sit for 30 seconds or so, then agitate with a brush/old towel, and hose off.

Maybe that would solve it. If not...

Since the wheel is clear coated, you can treat it exactly like paint. Not sure what products you have there, but you can try a mild paint cleaner like Deep Crystal#1, a medium one like ColorX, or even give ScratchX a try.

Those are the 2 things I would do first.

Comment

Thanks...

It does not seem to come off after washing the car . Since I have a clearcoated wheel, will the plastic polish work ?

Just don't want to spend all kinds of money on stuff and may even make it worse.

Johnny

Comment

No I am not sure why plastic polish was recomended.

You can treat the wheel's clear coat just as you would your paint's clear coat, with the same clay, cleaners, polishes, and waxes.

I think the Multi Piece is like $7.99, and then DC#1 is under $5 I think, or ScratchX is like $7.99 if you went with that. Or some prices in that ball-park.

Edit:

Just saw you were in Canada... well, adjust prices accordingly..
            Last edited by Murr1525; May 1, 2006, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Now i'm confused

What would be the exact steps to clean my wheels from this stuff .

I can email you a big picture of the problem , send me your email

Thanks again
              Johnny

Comment

Well, dont get too confused.

Step 1. First clean the wheels good with the Multi-Piece cleaner. It is quite mild, safe for all surfaces. This will get you prepped good.

Step 2. Then, use a paint cleaner, either DC#1, or ScratchX to try and remove anything left of the stain. DC#1 is milder, ScratchX is a bit more agressive.

You can start with DC#1 if you want, or just try ScratchX. Neither are going to cause any more damage, but DC#1 could be too mild.

Hopefully, between those 2 steps, the stain will go away.

You are actualy better posting pics on here, we love pics.. and other people can chime in as well then if they see anything different, or that I missed.

You could try searching for other 'wheel stain' threads around here as well.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrmtl
                  Now i'm confused

What would be the exact steps to clean my wheels from this stuff .

I can email you a big picture of the problem , send me your email

Thanks again
                  Johnny
                  Here's another suggestion...

This past weekend I was washing the wifes 00 Honda Accord, and she had some stains somewhat similar to those on you wheels.

Here's what I used:

Rinsed wheels with high pressure hose
                  Spayed with Meg's All Wheel Cleaner
                  Aggitated with Meg Wheel Face Brush
                  And Rinsed
                  NXT All metal Polish with a terry towel (with some passion behind it)

They came out great..

Last edited by Magic; May 1, 2006, 01:08 PM.
                  Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

Can you send me your email as the file is too big to attach and of which will give you a better picture of my situation.

Thx

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');