• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tampa Florida! - Roadshow Pictures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The below car is a Cadillac and we sanded a small area where something impacted the paint and left high points and divets in the finish. After removing the sanding marks with the rotary buffer the owner used the G100 Dual Action Polisher to polish and wax the paint.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

We used the G100 and a combination of M83, followed by M80, followed by NXT Tech Wax to remove the horrific swirls out of this PT Cruiser that had seen the ugly side of a Hurricane!

Here's the before and after side-by-side results...

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the time and effort to all involved in creating this event.

Definitely the best training / hands on seminar I've been to.

I've been detailing cars for over 20 years and using the D/A for 8 years or so, or so I thought. Seeing Mike in action has opened my eyes to everything I've been missing out on from this tool.

The side by side black Z06 hood with scratch X ( I was using it wrong by hand and agreed with the it doesn't work camp prior to the class) was truly an eye opener.

The D/A with #80 SLOWLY with adequate 15# pressure was all I needed to see to make the trip a winner. Mike showed the proper progression to use with 3 hand applications of scratch X (Mildest method), Then did a taped off area with #80 speed glaze with the D/A a couple of times to show the next way to attack the problem area (slightly more aggressive). The results of both of these areas were 95% or better to my eye, only then did Mike mention, of stepping up to #83 if a perfectly blemish free finish was the goal.

This demo showed me Mike Loves what he's doing, and better yet wanted to teach everyone there the least nvasive way to prep paint. Think about it he could have hit the hood hard and fast and gotten a great pop, but we would be in trouble without his technique and experience and possibly damage the finish of our test subject.

By the way, the Z06 looked so good, I really couldn't believe this was our test bed, but a low flat hood on a black car with some defect was what we needed to see and we did see clear improvement.

Finally, the 21 is awesome, I used it after claying my monther in laws Saturn (dark green) I can say it did a great job, the paint was glossy, super smooth and the metallic flakes poped like never before. From what I've read here this is a very durable synthetic,a perfect for a LSP going into summer in FL.

Make the new package 32 OZ and Tyrone has a sale, is stuff will be gone in 4 weeks or so.

There was lots more to learn, like wet sanding and roatry work for tough problems, don't miss this class if you can get in one.

Comment

looks like a blast! Great birds eye view shots too!
          2001 Vortex Blue New Beetle

Comment

Seems like everyone had a great time! I wish I could have gone but I didn't have the time or desire to go up 200+ miles each way from where I live in South Florida. Maybe one day you guys can come to Rick Case Honda in Davie, Florida. It's one of the largest dealerships in the world and I know it would be a packed class with all the enthusiasts we have down here.

Comment

What happened to the guy who posted online a few weeks ago that he purchased $300+ worth of merchandise from Meguiars but was having no luck with swirl removal. I forgot what his name was but he said he was going to attend the class-I was wondering if you assisted him in solving his problems?

Comment

What a great day! Can't say thanks enough, to all who had input. Mike you're one of a kind, I to enjoy my work very much but don't get to help others with their passion like you! It wasn't a long drive for me, but it was for my black z06 (about 20 miles from Clearwater across the bay to Tampa) maybe I could have a black Meguiar"s shirt in XL! Thanks again!!

Comment

Originally posted by lockz
                  What a great day! Can't say thanks enough, to all who had input. Mike you're one of a kind, I too enjoy my work very much but don't get to help others with their passion like you!

It wasn't a long drive for me, but it was for my black z06 (about 20 miles from Clearwater across the bay to Tampa) maybe I could have a black Meguiar"s shirt in XL! Thanks again!!
                  This Tampa class was defintitley a fun class for me as well. Thank you for letting me work on your car.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by skyace888
                    Seems like everyone had a great time! I wish I could have gone but I didn't have the time or desire to go up 200+ miles each way from where I live in South Florida.
                    David Pedre is going to look for a place to host the next class in the Fort Meyer's beach area. It has nothing to do with the fact that my Father-in-law lives there and owns a 31' Contender.

Captain Ron

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike I'd like to have another class here in FL. I'm down for driving 200+ miles away to see you in action again.. Great class in Tampa! (My kudos was given to you in the thread you closed later that day)

-Nick
                      1998 White Olds Aurora
                      V8 260HP

Comment

Here is the link for the guys that had the questions about the amount of pressure on the DA prior to attending the seminar (Monk & Lafirefytr)...http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...s&pagenumber=1

I was wondering if the seminar helped answer the questions you guys had previously, and if so what type of technique change was made to get better results-just trying to learn more-Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 74 thing

I was wondering if the seminar helped answer the questions you guys had previously, and if so what type of technique change was made to get better results-just trying to learn more-Thanks.
                          YES! I had the technique wrong and was applying way to much product in the wrong way. I learned how to apply the right amount of product in the correct way; how to CORRECTLY use the D/A and a ton of other information I didn't know. Well worth the 225 miles round trip. I'd be willing to go 200 miles out just to see another seminar done by Mike.

In fact, since I have a really good friend who works for an airline, I'm trying to get free airline tickets to come see Mike in Irvine...

-Nick
                          1998 White Olds Aurora
                          V8 260HP

Comment

I sure learned a lot about using the DA and the rotary. How slow to move them and how long to work the product. Nothing beats being there in person and seeing these machines worked. I learned the correct technique for everything, like you can work the product longer than I thought, correct pressure on the machine and tons of helpful hints. Mike's a great teacher and a great ambassador for Meguiar's. Meguiar's should develop a new polish and name it after Mike. I wish there was another class this Saturday. Wes

Comment

Originally posted by FryeBaby
                              I sure learned a lot about using the DA and the rotary. How slow to move them and how long to work the product. Nothing beats being there in person and seeing these machines worked. I learned the correct technique for everything, like you can work the product longer than I thought, correct pressure on the machine and tons of helpful hints. Mike's a great teacher and a great ambassador for Meguiar's. Meguiar's should develop a new polish and name it after Mike. I wish there was another class this Saturday. Wes
                              1998 White Olds Aurora
                              V8 260HP

Comment

Originally posted by 74 thing
                                Here is the link for the guys that had the questions about the amount of pressure on the DA prior to attending the seminar (Monk & Lafirefytr)...http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...s&pagenumber=1

I can only speak for myself (but I know Monk personally and believe he would agree with me) when I say that 99.9 % of it was ME. When I got involved in the thread you are referring to above I was very frustrated the detailing process w/ my G100. I had to apologize later in the thread as I'm sure you read. I decided to make the trip to Tampa (600 miles one way) and get it figured out. It all came together once I was there and finished the seminar. I was making all the ROOKIE mistakes: working too big of an area, moving to fast, too much product, pressing down too hard at times, and expecting that it would be perfect in one pass! Well it AIN"T GONNA HAPPEN LIKE THAT MY FRIEND!
                                I SAW the correct "TECHNIQUE" displayed via Mike P. I learned the correct amount of product (1 full circle on outside edge of pad 1st time, the 1/2 circle pretty much after that) work an area about the size of Meguiars MF towel, slow steady arm movement, listening to the sound the machine made when the correct amount of pressure was applied /watching the rotation of the pad and then figuring out how hard I had to press to achieve both of these, and realizing that it may take multiple passes. I saw Mike have to make multiple passes and sometimes even go w/ a little more aggressive product. He also, on a few occasions, had to go from the G100 to the rotary as there are limitations to the G100. The rotary is not an option for me.
                                Everything I learned, I had pretty much read on here, but for me reading about something just didn't cut it. The old saying "seeing is believing" would apply here. Everything was reinforced in the class and you are able to see it and then actually do it in the presence of Mike where he can correct your "technique" if need be.
                                I cannot emphasize enough how much I enjoyed the class and highly recommend it. It was definately worth the trip and effort. I would do it again anytime. I regret that I ever had doubts to begin with but it took the bad experience to get me to take the class and that I grateful for.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');