• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remove plastic melted on exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you remove plastic melted on exhaust

A plastic bag must of caught my motorbike while riding today and melted on the exhaust, a good 12" long section of pipe. I tried the home remedies, using Easy Off oven cleaner while pipes are hot, Goof Off when pipes are cold, finger nails and I can't seem to get it off. Anybody have any ideas?

Body Solvent?(just an idea)

Comment

at home we have melted plastic on a pot from the frozen corn bag. hasnt come off in 5+ years, although you dont notice it as much.

if you scratch it off, you'll have to remove the scratches from your exhaust. i suspect you like your bike to look nice (hence why you're here), but if it was up to me on my car, i'd get some 400 sandpaper and just sand it off (who cares if it looks bad, nobody will see it), unfortunately you cannot do that with a bike
      Lancer Evolution VIII
      I4T

Comment

How about heating it back up by running the bike, and gradually working it off with a "safe" tool, that will not, itself, melt? Once you get most of it off, you may be able to use a metal polish?

Comment

Maybe try some Nevr Dull wadding. It works great on chrome exhaust tips.

Comment

I tried cleaning while it's at it's peak temp, nothing budged. I tried oven cleaner and the pipes are so hot it just turns to white powder instantly but nothing. I tried a "safe" type paint stripper, nothing. I tried paint thinner because my buddy said it ate through vinyl, didn't budge. All the trying different things has reduce it somewhat, maybe half of what it was but what's still baked on may never come off. I need something that disolves plastic like an acid but doesn't affect chrome.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');