• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porter Cable Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porter Cable Use

Hello everyone.

I have been reading Meguiar’s forums for a long time but have not posted until now.

I recently purchased a Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action Polisher along with the 8006 and 9006 pads from Meguiar’s.

I have a black 2004 350Z. Over the past few months, I have noticed the cobwebs in the paint when seeing the sun's reflection, so I thought I would put some of the information in these forums to use to see what I could do. Here are the steps I followed:

1) Wash with Dawn utilizing the two bucket method.
    2) Clay Bar.
    3) Wash with NXT Wash utilizing the two bucket method.
    4) Dry the car.
    5) Allowed to sit garaged for two hours to cool the finish.
    6) Apply Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner with an 8006 pad and PC 7424 on speed 4 to the trunk. (Under the garage lights, the cleaner didn't seem to be getting out the micromarring, so I changed to ScratchX by hand. This did not seem to be working either, so with another 8006 pad and the PC 7424, I applied the ScratchX with the PC 7424. After doing the trunk 3 times and seeing mild improvements each time, I decided to do the rest of the car before I ran out of ScratchX.
    7) Wiped down the car with Meguiar's Quick Detailer and Micrfiber towel.
    8) Apply Deep Crystal Paint Polish with a 9006 pad and the PC7424 on speed 4.
    9) Wiped down the car with Meguiar's Quick Detailer and Micrfiber towel.
    10) Apply NXT Tech Wax with a 9006 pad and the PC 7424 on speed 4 and allowed to sit for 25 mins.
    11) Removed the NXT Tech Wax with an additional 9006 pad and the PC 7424 on setting 5.
    12) Buffed the entire car with an additional 9006 pad and the PC 7424 on setting 6.

I guess the reason I am writing is...I see remarkable results posted on this site. Regardless that this is my first time using a PC 7424, I think I used the correct products...maybe I am wrong. I did not see the results I was expecting, not to mention it took 7 hours out of a Saturday. The car looks great. It has a deep, wet look that it has never had before. My girlfriend commented on it, and that has never happened before. I love to detail cars. I just am not feeling like I did the best job I could do.

My question is... What should I do different to get rid of the micromarring/cobwebs? What products should I be using?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom

Skip step 11. and step 12. If you're trying to buff the finish with a dry pad, you will probably produce some fine swirls.

Instead, buff out with a mf towel. Then, as a final buff, you can use the Meg's microfiber bonnet on a foam pad.

I've got my finishing down to 3 or 4 steps (couple of hours max on my customer's cars).

1. Wash with Meg's
    2. Clay (if needed)
    3. DACP (if needed) setting on 4 or 5
    4. NXT with a 9006 setting on 2.5 or 3
    5. MF buff and final Meg's MF bonnett

Hope this helps
    Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Take a look at some of the Professional Line of products such as Dual Action Cleaner Polish. If you get one of the Meguiar's professional catalogs you can look at the relative abbrassive scale to determine which products to try. You will probably have to try severeal before you find which is the right product for your application. Scratch X isn't designed to applied by machine and I have seen a number of people who claim to actually have made their situation worse when applying in this manner.
      *No Applause, Just Throw Money!*

Comment

Forgive me for not stating before, but I removed the NXT with an Ultimate Bonnet over a 9006 pad.

I wouldn't have used the ScatchX with the PC if I hadn't read it on here. But, I will keep that in mind. Thank you for the advice.

I will also take a close look at the professional products to see what is available.

Comment

tommy81569

A black 350Z. That is a sweet looking vehicle. You should pay close attention to how you are washing and drying your car. Removing swirls and scratches is a lot harder than preventing them. Black cars are a magnet for swirls too.

Wash your car with Gold Class or NXT wash and use a new Sheepskin mitt. Use the two bucket method. Rinse the car with your hose with the nozzle off to let the water sheet off. Final dry with a micro-fiber drying towel.

My routine
          1. Wash
          2. Clay if needed
          3. Clean with MPPC with the PC
          4. Inspect finish for swirls and if present Use #82 Swirl Free Polish on them.
          4a. Re-inspect and if defects are still present use #83 DACP to remove. It may take additional applications to completely remove the defects.
          Once the swirls are gone re-inspect your finish for any slight haze caused by micro-marring. #83 can sometimes cause that. If present go over the car again with #82.

5. Now it's time to make it look wet and deep. I use #7 or #81 for this. While #81 is called a hand polish and can be applied by hand I use the PC. Much quicker and your finish will now pop.

6. Time to seal that great shine with a good carnauba or polymer sealant. On black I prefer #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax for a carnauba. It gives a deeper gloss than almost anything I've used. #16 is not bad and lasts longer but doesn't quite look as deep. I like #16 on lighter finishes and metallics. For a polymer sealant I like NXT Tech Wax.

Once the swirls are gone maintaining your shine is a lot easier. Use good washing techniques to minimize swirl marks and you should not need to resort to the #82 or #83 steps but on rare occasions.

Then your steps will be;
          1. Wash
          2. Clean (MPPC)
          3. Polish (#7 or #81)
          4. Wax
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

I used clay, DACP (#83) followed by #82 swirl free polish and then NXT on a swirl filled black 740i and it came out dang near perfect. I probably could have skipped the #82 becasue the NXT does a fair job of filling the swirls. Also note that you need to apply a little pressure with the PC - about 5 pounds, just until you hear the motor change its note.

Scratch X is designed for hand use, so I'd bag that and the Deep Crystal cleaner in favor of DACP. Using the above, you'll get better results with less effort. In short, you seem to be using "by hand" products when you have the PC. PC specific products will give you better results.

I'll try to post photos tonight - I uploaded a set just before the big crash, so they're gone now, but I'll try again.
            TwoTooBlack

Because one black car just wasn't enough . . .

Comment

I 2nd or 3rd the DACP. One thing to try especially using scratch x would be a 50-50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water to clean surface. That should remove fillers to really get an idea of what has been done to the surface. The fillers will show great results but the defects are still there.

I was a skeptic of the DACP. Especially after using the scratch x. I used for the first time this weekend and I really removed the paint defects not covered like scratchX. I feel very confident now to mention to perspective clients that some minor paint defects can be removed with the PC and DACP.

Good luck!
              Last edited by scrub; Jul 6, 2004, 01:28 AM.

Comment

I should have posted a pic along with that write-up. My apologies.

Comment

Very nice!!

Another thing, I don't think the DC steps will give you the results you seek. Those seem to be an entry line, sort of get to know Meguiar's to get you hooked on detailing products. You use them and desire more. Still great products if you want a quick down and dirty detail.

That's what the Mirror Glaze products are for. To give the final results you expect eventually. One has to study and use trial and error to find the right mix.
                  Last edited by scrub; Jun 7, 2004, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks Scrub and to all of you guys for your responses.

I ordered the #82 and #83 this afternoon, so we'll see what they can do here shortly.

Comment

No prob. I'll be lookin forward to your results. For the record though your ride looks awesome already!!

Comment

Figured I should jump in since I didn't see anybody else mentioning it...
                        DON'T WASH WITH DAWN
                        Explanation provided in this Meguires video http://www.meguiars.com/clinics/clinics_template.cfm ...it's the first video...the Automotive Appearance Care Clinic

Comment

Thanks again, scrub.

Between Autopia and the majority of people on here, Dawn is the only dishwashing detergent that will effectively remove old wax while not damaging your surface or trim.

I cannot view the video link from this computer but will definitely check it out at first opportunity.

I just want to do what is best for my ride so it will stay in near show condition for as long as I have it.

Thank you for your input.

Comment

Basically, Dawn will not remove old wax...it will remove the oils from old wax (and essential oils from all your trim!)

Some people use an alcohol dilution to remove old wax...I personally prefer 3M's GPAC (General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner)...works great and shouldn't hurt anything...

Comment

I like Meguiar's Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner for removing wax and any oxidation. Another choice is Dupont Prepsol. I'd never use Dawn.
                              Jim
                              My Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');