• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old eggs

So I have read some articles on egg. It sounds to me that it is irreversible. The reason I am asking is that a friend of mine recently got his 1996 Integra egged. It is his baby. He was ready to get all the egg off and clean everything up but the police told him to not touch it. After a week, and still no police, he decided to clean all the egg off. He took it in to get it professionally cleaned off. There is still some haze where the EXTENSIVE egg damage was done. I just want to be totally clear and cocrrect when I tell him that there isn't anything that can be done (except repaint) since the car was left outside, in the sun, for about a week. IS the pretty much the consensus?

Thanks for all your help.

Mike

In most cases there is nothing that can be done other than repainting the area. Do you have any pictures that you could post to help in assessing the damage?
    Quadruple Honda Owner
    Black cars are easy!

Comment

Re: Old eggs

Originally posted by MikeC
      So I have read some articles on egg. It sounds to me that it is irreversible. The reason I am asking is that a friend of mine recently got his 1996 Integra egged. It is his baby. He was ready to get all the egg off and clean everything up but the police told him to not touch it. After a week, and still no police, he decided to clean all the egg off. He took it in to get it professionally cleaned off. There is still some haze where the EXTENSIVE egg damage was done. I just want to be totally clear and cocrrect when I tell him that there isn't anything that can be done (except repaint) since the car was left outside, in the sun, for about a week. IS the pretty much the consensus?

Thanks for all your help.

Mike
      I am no egghead here but can say this. I was egged in a White Toyota Sienna Minivan about 1/2 mile from my house. Turned around and came straight home and rinsed with the Garden hose. In that little bit of time between whatever damage the shell did and the egg itself. It had damaged the paint bad enough until a repaint would have been necessary.

I guess it might depend on what type of vehicle/paint it is but for that length of time I suspect he is hosed.

If you like you can tell him to post some pics and let the others have a look see but I have a feeling they will likely come up with the same answer.
      Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Sorry, but I have to agree. Usually eggs will stain the paint, and will cause micro-fractures in the paint at the impact site. Usually, a re-paint is necessary.

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

to MOL

i wonder how an egg does so much damage?
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord
          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

If eggs are so hard on paint, then how does that chicken make it alive

Comment

Maybe this will offer hope?

SRT-10 Silver

Comment

Originally posted by Newport Viper

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...ighlight=egged
                Something like Scrath-X "might" minimize the egg effect to a degree. maybe Tim can comment here. I guess it would depend on just how bad the damage is.

I guess the egg and the key are a Car Care Enthusiasts biggest nightmares. I don't think I could maintain my cool if I caught somebody doing this red handed.
                Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Originally posted by MikeC
                  So I have read some articles on egg. It sounds to me that it is irreversible. The reason I am asking is that a friend of mine recently got his 1996 Integra egged. It is his baby.

He was ready to get all the egg off and clean everything up but the police told him to not touch it. After a week, and still no police, he decided to clean all the egg off. He took it in to get it professionally cleaned off. There is still some haze where the EXTENSIVE egg damage was done.

I just want to be totally clear and correct when I tell him that there isn't anything that can be done (except repaint) since the car was left outside, in the sun, for about a week. IS the pretty much the consensus?
                  Ouch!

We're sorry to hear about your friends bad luck with the egg and it doesn't sound like this policeman is a car guy. Being told to leave egg splatter on your paint until they, (the Police), can get around to inspecting and investigating the damage? I think we've all learned a lesson here.

If the paint is stained from where the egg dried then it's possible to improve this defect depending upon how deeply the stain penetrated into the clear coat, it's just a matter of removing some clear paint until you uncover a portion of the clear paint matrix that is unaffected and hopefully by the time you reach this point you will still be leaving behind enough clear paint in this area to protect the base coat over the service life of the car.

Does that make sense?

If it were mine, I would take a rotary buffer to it gently with something like M83 with a W-8006 polishing pad at 1500rpm and start making a few passes and then inspect.

If there is damage that looks more or less like this,

Then this cannot be fixed without repainting the area, that is... adding more paint to the car.

What you see in the above picture are divets, or as Tim called them, micro-fractures, in the paint. In the case of the picture above these divets or micro-fractures are through the clear coat and into and through the color coat, thus only by re-painting the area can the damage be honestly corrected.

If the owner were in the SoCal area we would love to have them come by our "Open Garage" nights on Wednesdays and we would do our best to improve what can be improved.

As far as telling your friend there is nothing else that can be done... this kind of depends upon the skill of the detailer and the quality of the product they use. Some detailers do great work,

Joe aka Superior Shine teaching a young man how to wet sand and remove scratches using Nikken Finishing Papers and a Rotary Buffer at Meguiar's Open Garage

While others do not...

Gross swirls caused by the mis-use of the rotary buffer

Originally posted by Newport Viper

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...ighlight=egged

Thanks for tracking that down Dave, you're pretty hand with that search box...
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Wow, thanks for all of the help. Sorry I haven't been able to check this in so long. Well, I will call him up and see if he has some pictures he can send me. Is looks more like a haze than anything else. No mico-fracutes or scratches from the shell that I we can see. There are a few things that I got wrong on the initial description. First, the car was outside only a day. Secondly, after he took it home and washed it, he took it in to try and get it buffed out. He said it worked for a while, but it came back. Lastly, this happened a year or so ago. The reason I am posting this now is that I am just getting into the fine art of detailing a car, and I wanted to see if there was anything to be done for his while i am making mine look pretty. That's it. Thanks for al your posts so far and I hope this new information helps.

Michael

Comment

a stupid egg can do that much damage. **** man. that ***** big time.

coke can cause tons of damage too can't it? the acid and want not.

Comment

Just to make you feel a little better about your friend's situation, I'd like you to know that he isn't alone. One of my friends got his paint ruined. Someone came by and poured paint thinner all over his hood. Needless to say there was no fix other than a repaint. As far as a recommendation as how to fix it, I think everyone else has about got it covered. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');