• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the best way to remove gum from carpet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the best way to remove gum from carpet?

the other day i let my mom use my car to go to work,( BIG MISTAKE), well some how she managed to get gum stuck on my passenger carpet. It's really starting to bother me, im about to buy a new one but i wanted to see if there was a way to remove it without damaging the carpet before i waste any money. Any help would be greatly apreciated, thanks!!!!

just rub ice on it.

Comment

try wd40.
      not sure if rubbing peanut butter is a myth. I didn't think of it. just passing the info on. so, if its wrong or myth. sorry....

Comment

that really works?- i'll try it tommorrow, the gum is pretty messy, like someone smushed it. but it seems like a good idea.

-thanks-

Comment

Here are a few remedies I found online:

"# Take a ziplock plastic bag, at least as large as the gum spot.
          # Fill with ice.
          # Close bag and place on top of the stuck gum.
          # Wait for about fifteen minutes.
          # By now the gum has hardened because of the ice and you can now peel it off with ease."

"From Carpet: First, try scraping any excess gum off your carpet with a dull knife and then rubbing the area with ice until the remaining gum rolls off into a ball.

You might try using an extra strength deep-heating rub to remove the gum. First, heat the gum residue on your carpet with a blow dryer for one or two minutes. Then, using four-inch squares of plastic (sandwich bags will work nicely) remove as much gum as possible. You may have to apply more heat if the gum hardens. Continue to use the plastic squares to remove the gum. This part of the process should remove 80% of the gum residue.

Next, spread half a teaspoon of the extra strength deep-heating rub evenly over all the gum residue. Heat with a blow dryer set on high for 30 seconds. After turning off the dryer, immediately use the plastic squares in a circular motion (alternating between clockwise and counter-clock wise movements) to remove the remaining stain. Then apply a mild detergent and water solution with paper towels or a cloth rag, and allow the area to air dry.

It is important that you try a small amount of the deep-heating rub on an inconspicuous area of your carpet first to ensure color fastness. Be sure to keep deep-heating rub out of the reach of children and follow all safety precautions as recommended by the manufacturer."

"I clean carpets for a living.. when we come across gum in the carpet, we have little bottles of freon.. (availabe at carpet cleaning supply houses) yes the same freon you use in your fridge or ac.. 12 or 22.. I dont know about the new 134 stuff.. spraying it on the gum freezes it solid.. then you just hammer it and it busts into a million pieces.. leaving the carpet unharmed.. even in the gum is matted deep., it end up in particals. I would assume it would work with clothing and hair too..."
          It's not just chocolate, it's a lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Godiva
            Here are a few remedies I found online:

"# Take a ziplock plastic bag, at least as large as the gum spot.
            # Fill with ice.
            # Close bag and place on top of the stuck gum.
            # Wait for about fifteen minutes.
            # By now the gum has hardened because of the ice and you can now peel it off with ease."
            Thanks, it worked good, i was able to get 95% if it out. the rest i plan on removing later.

thanks for the help

Comment

leo ..what method did you use....? you just said it worked..
              RZ AutoDetailing

My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by RZ Autodetailing
                leo ..what method did you use....? you just said it worked..
                I used the "bag of ice" method. I kept the ice over the gum for 15 to 20 minutes. Then I rubbed the ice around the border of most of the gum and pealed it off slowly, sort of rubbing the ice underneath little by little. i was surprise as to how easily it came off, i expected a bigger mess.

Comment

Sprayway does mak an aerosol product which "freezes" the gum. Never used it but it's right about $7 a can.
                  As you make a living, don't forget to live.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');