• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how to pan fry whole fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how to pan fry whole fish?

Specifically how to pan fry whole rainbow trout in butter? I hear it's very good, but I've never pan fried ANYTHING.

Any suggestions?
    I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Wife says to bake it, but if you have to fry it - Heat the skillet first to medium heat. Add a couple of teaspoons of oil, veg. or olive oil and then add two tbsp or so of butter. Butter burns too fast to only use it. Dip fish in milk or beaten egg and then in cornmeal or crispy coating for fish. Fry until golden brown and flip over carefully. Continue cooking until flaky. Drain on paper towel and enjoy!
    Last edited by kellyinkc; Apr 16, 2006, 10:21 AM.
    MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Thanks for the recipe!

I'm not a fan of baked fish, I like to grill my fish. But a friend of mine just came down from the mountains with a boatload of rainbow trout and said to try them fried as opposed to grilled, that's why I needed help
      I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Hey,

Now you are talking my language!!!!

You can use butter but you need to wrap the fish in tin foil.

What I do, is take the trout, and place butter, bacon and some green onion inside it. Then wrap it in tin foil and then bake it in the oven (in a broiler).

On the barbeque, you can do the same as the above except, place a drip pan on the burner, lava rocks etc. Otherwise, every time you cook it will smell like fish.

If camping, do the same as the above except do not wrap the fish, place in a cast iron pan and lots of butter, cooking over a camp fire.

The above with give the fish a nice smokey flavor!

How big are the trout?

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
          Hey,

Now you are talking my language!!!!

Yes...you can use butter but you need to wrap the fish in tin foil.

What I do, is take the trout, and place butter, bacon and some green onion inside it. Then wrap it in tin foil and then bake it in the oven (in a broiler).

On the barbeque, you can do the same as the above except, place a drip pan on the burner, lava rocks etc. Otherwise, every time you cook it will smell like fish.

If camping, do the same as the above except do not wrap the fish, place in a cast iron pan and lots of butter, cooking over a camp fire.

The above with give the fish a nice smokey flavor!

How big are the trout?

Tim
          How does the trout taste baked? I've never been a fan of baked fish.

The trout are about 1/2-2/3 lbs each. He gave me about 4 lbs
          I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Hey,

Not as crispy or dry but rather soft. But the bacon in the middle combined with the butter and onion, gives it a nice flavor. To be honest, frying over a campfire is still the best, IMO.

They sound like nice sized trout. I love fly fishing and do a lot of it each year!!!

Here is my prized rainbow trout caught on a fly rod:

Maybe when I come down to California, I can talk Mike into taking me trout fishing for a day or two. I am used to fishing around here and would like to learn or see how other people fish in other areas!

Cheers!

Tim

Comment

Hey Tim, you are making me hungry!!!

Comment

Hey Kelly,

I am actually full..I just ate pizza!

Tim

Comment

To be honest, frying over a campfire is still the best, IMO.

I love to cook over a campfire. Used to backpack, but wifes idea of camping is plugging in the trailer.
                  Pizza huh? That sounds good too!! Having left over pizza tonight myself!

Comment

Originally posted by kellyinkc

I love to cook over a campfire. Used to backpack, but wifes idea of camping is plugging in the trailer.
                    !
                    LOL! Yea...I think my wife would agree also!

Tim

Comment

LOL

Comment

Maybe when I come down to California, I can talk Mike into taking me trout fishing for a day or two. I am used to fishing around here and would like to learn or see how other people fish in other areas!
                        We've got pretty good hunting here too, if you're into that. But the best places to go fishing hunting on the west coast is to travel north a bit to Oregon.

I prefer hunting in MI though when I go to visit my dad.
                        I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Hey,

I used to hunt quite a bit years ago. But the guns laws up here has made it quite difficult.

Tim

Comment

Hey,

I used to hunt quite a bit years ago. But the guns laws up here has made it quite difficult.

Tim
                            We usually go Bow hunting, just because I can't stand the cold during gun hunting season(in MI), lol.
                            I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

You first must use an oil and butter combination or use lard season the oil with a little rosemary to flavor the oil remove the rosemary and heat the oil back up to temperture and seasoned the fish with salt and lemon pepper batter mix slowly lower the fish AWAY from you in the oil and fry 4 minutes on both sides. good luck
                              Whats my color? Color X

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');