• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Touch up paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touch up paint

I messed up on applying touch up paint(all over my car), and I was wondering what the best solution is to get rid of it?

It's fading right now, but it's been at least 1 year since I applied the touch up paint. I did a horrible job and I feel like I want to get my car re-painted because of it.

Any suggestions? I have the PC 7424, and the new NXT wax(liquid) if that helps.

to MOL
    i dont think anything can remove it without damaging the surrounding paint since it has been there for one year, but i could be wrong
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Depending on the kind of paint it was it may be easy or hard to remove.

I’ve noticed that some touchup paints will dissolve easily in solvents, even relatively mild ones like paint-prep cleaners, Prep-Sol, Pre, DX 330, etc.

PC.

Comment

As PC said, it could be a piece of cake or a royal pain.

In this case, I'd get the Langka (sp?) blob-remover stuff. I hear it's basically just lacquer thinner, but I suspect it's acutually a little more than that. It's made for exactly this sort of thing, and if I ever get my '97 Bimmer back from the mechanics I plan to use it to remove similar touch-ups the the previous owner did.

If the touch-up is just too heavy, but otherwise OK, then I'd just wetsand it (3K grit) and polish. But if you want to basically start over from scratch, try the Langka.
        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');