• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove calcium water spots below the surface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove calcium water spots below the surface

I have the following questions in regard to removing hard water spots.

The vehicle I am dealing with is a black 1995 Corvette. My customer purchased the vehicle used about 6 or 7 years ago and it has had a problem with water spots ever since. The spots are mostly on the hood and they appear to be below the surface; as you cannot feel them with your fingernail. The windshield also has a water spotting problem.

1- What are some of the safest ways to remove calcium water spots?

2- Are there any products available to simply dissolve the calcium buildup?

3- Can the process be done by hand? Thus reducing the chance to damage the clear coat.

4- Would you consider using abrasive products in an attempt go below the surface to remove the spots?

5- Would you recommend having this car repainted?

6- Can water spotting appear to get worse with time?

7- Can some last step products actually highlight this condition and make it look worse?

Thanks in advance for all replies.
    FRANK CANNA
    Mirror Finish Detailing
    23rd Year 1986-2009

Sounds like a case where a paint cleaner would be helpful????

I'd try some Deep Crystal Step 1 (for a very reasonably 5 or 6 bucks). from an auto parts store.

Is that the only mostly chemical cleaner that Meguiar's sells anymore? I know that the Medallion Cleaner was some excellent stuff, but I don't believe it's available anymore

Comment

Well, it sounds as if you may have etched in water marks on the paint.

Look up the thread on "Deep Polishing Glass" for help with the glass.

1. If they are etched in, then you will need to treat it like a scratch/swirl, and use a cleaner with some abrasives, like ScratchX, #80, #83, etc.

2. You can try a paint cleaner, or even the hard water spot remove from the Marine line might work. But if they are etched in, that wont do anything.

3. Yes, but it will ****. You would have to work in ScratchX in with several coats, with lots of passion to clean up the etching in the paint.

4. That is what you will have to do for etching.

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

5. Not really.

6. Well, once a water mark has etched its way in, it shouldnt keep going forever. Now you can get more and more water spotting if nothing is done to protect the paint from future rain.

7. Well, possibly I guess. Polish and wax will tend to fill in small defects, but marks certainly do show up more on a clean car.

And yes, DC#1 is the only pure chemical cleaner made. The Cleaner/Wax is also chemical only. Though all of the cleaners have chemicals in them.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Here's Mikes thread on the subject:

How To Remove Water Spots

PC.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');