• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ready to place an order...what should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready to place an order...what should I buy?

I am about to buy the G-100 DA polisher. I know I need a backing plate and some pads. I've searched this forum but can't seem to find a definite answer. For example, Mike's post with the chart showing which pad corresponds with each product makes no mention of the W7006 pad.

As I understand it, at a minimum, I need the following:

1 backing plate
    2 W8006 pads - used directly on the paint for cleaning and polishing
    1 W9006 pad - used directly on the paint for LSP application

The W7006 is used only with a bonnet attached, correct? Also, what product is applied/removed with this pad?

Finally, bonnets. These are for removing product, right? From what I read, they go over a pad, like the W8006.

I apologize for the newbie questions, but I want to make sure I transition from hand detailing to automtic in the proper manner.

Well, I think I fopund some answers to my own questions.

7006 is not for product application. It is only for removal, using a MF bonnet

8006 is for cleaners and cleaner/polishes. It can also be used with a wax that has slight cleaning ability...NXT Tech Wax...for that extra bite

9006 is the softest of the pads and is for pure waxes and can also be used for cleaner/wax when the bit of an 8006 is not required

Comment

I also use the 9006 pad to apply pure polishes #7, since it has no cleaning ability.

I typically only use the MF bonnets to remove wax, since it needs to cure for 20 minutes. The cleaners and polish are not required to dry, and should be removed panel by panel. And having to change the pad with a MF Bonnet every panel, just is too much hassle. So most usually remove #83-80-7 by hand with a SS MF Towel, as you go. These products are a pain to remove if they dry.

Tip... If these products dry and are difficult to remove, spray a little Quik Detailer over the dried product, and remove with ease.

But your on the right track.
      Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

Re: Ready to place an order...what should I buy?

Originally posted by 05PhillyStang
        I apologize for the newbie questions, but I want to make sure I transition from hand detailing to automtic in the proper manner.
        Far better to ask now than to buy a cabinet full of things you don't want later

Good research...you're on the money with the info you found

The G100A kit "Comes with W64DA Backing Plate and one W8006 Soft Foam Polishing Pad", so that is actually 3 items from your list instead of just one.

Here's the E-store link for that, in case you didn't have it:

If you don't already have them, I'd suggest getting at least 3 microfiber towels to start (bare minimum). Sure, they're more expensive, but they are so much better than using terry towels. If you care about fine results, these are worth the money!
        See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Just to note, dont confuse Nxt, which has very very very light cleaning ability, with a cleaner/wax. Nxt, and other waxes with cleaners, are just to take care of the lightest dust, not any real defects.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I feel pretty confident in my detailing abilities and undersatnd what products (cleaners, polishes, waxws, etc) perform what duties. My hesitation sets in when it comes to the DA, and the components that go with it.

Murr - when I mentioned using the 8006 with NXT vs using the 9006, I was just thinking out loud as to why someone would use a pad with more bite to apply an LSP. The only reason I could think of was to make use of its slight cleaning abilities. I am aware of the differences between a wax and a cleaner wax (much of my knowledge in this area can be attributed to your comments on MOL).

Pete-FWA - I have loads of microfibers. Well, I HAD loads. Until my dad found a trash bag full of towels waiting to be thrown in the wash. Thinking it was trash, he tossed it. Whenever I would detail, I'd have a trash bag by my side and I'd throw all the towels in there. Well, I got lazy and didn't feel like washing them that night...I paid the price. I can't blame my dad. They were in a trash bag, after all. I still have a bunch left though.

I was thinking along the lines of what you said about removing product by hand...for the reason you mentioned and the fact that it gives me peace of mind knowing that I went over every square inch of that car by hand before applying the next product. I think I'll even remove the wax by hand, since it's a relatively easy task. With that in mind, I guess I won't be needing the 7006 pad.

I saw the package deal at autodetailingsolutions.com. Is that the G-100? It says it has the lifetime warranty. The 7336 at Lowe's is $110, but I don't mind spending a $150 for the Meg's product. $225 from Meguiar's site is more than double. Yes, i know you get the backing plate and a pad, but I can get that from ADS.

If anyone has any other suggestions for what I should buy, I'm all ears.

Comment

I saw the package deal at autodetailingsolutions.com. Is that the G-100? It says it has the lifetime warranty. The 7336 at Lowe's is $110, but I don't mind spending a $150 for the Meg's product. $225 from Meguiar's site is more than double. Yes, i know you get the backing plate and a pad, but I can get that from ADS.
              AFAIK it is the G-100 and its a great deal! Rick's a great guy and the deals he has right now are awesome! I'd recommend Package #2 which has the G-100, backing plate, 2 polishing pads, a finishing pad, #80, NXT, clay bar, MF bonnet, NXT speed detailer and some MFs. It's pretty much everything one needs to hit the ground running. Package #4 is great too if you've got the extra cash. Not trying to spam here - just giving my $0.03... Wish I had found those deal when I was starting out - I've got a lot of "other" products laying around collecting dust now. Learn from Da Newb!

I listened to too many other people about which products were good. Mike and others here have really sold me on Meguiar's and as I try more and more products I'm sticking with them!
              Black 2004 Ford F150 FX4

Comment

I'm lucky in that I've been using Meguiar's for over 20 years so I didn't have a lot of other products. The problem was I didn't have a lot of Meguiar's products either and didn't really know how to take care of my car until I attended a day with Mike.

I used to just wash and then wax the car. That was it. I did use Gold Class. I used any old rag and also used to take the car to the car wash.

Never again. Or at least not until I'm really old and decrepit.

This is what I do now:
                Wash with NXT due to local hard water.
                Clay the car using NXT detailer.
                Use Scratch-X if needed. Clean and use NXT detailer again.
                Apply Deep Crystal Polish with W8006 Yellow soft buff foam polishing pad at 3-5. Small sections.
                Remove while still wet with microfiber towel. Small sections.
                I do one of the following:
                -Apply Gold Class wax with W9006 Tan softbuff finishing pad at 2-4.
                OR
                -Apply NXT tech Wax using either another W8006 or a W9006 Tan softbuff finishing pad at 2-4. Try at 3 - 3.5. Do entire car and let dry.
                I remove with W7006 cutting pad and microfiber bonnet at 2.5.

So I have all of the pads, plus several bonnets and quite a few microfiber towels. I think 6-8.

Absorber (2)
                bucket (2)

Meguiar's:
                PlastX
                Gold Glass Leather
                Hotshine Tire
                Insane Shine Tire
                Meguiar's Tire Brush
                Protectant wipes
                Dash trim
                NXT glass cleaner
                Microfiber towel (8)
                Microfiber glass towels (3)
                Gold Class applicator pad (6)
                NXT applicator pad
                Chenille applicator pad (2)
                Grit guard (2)
                Sponge
                Lamb's wool mop w/ adjustable handle
                G7101 Gold Class wash Gallon
                G7116 Gold Class wash
                G12664 NXT car wash
                Quick Clay white bar (2)
                NXT speed detailer
                G104 Dual Action polisher
                W8006 Yellow soft buff foam polishing pad (3-5) for A2116 Deep Crystal polish
                W8006 Yellow soft buff foam polishing pad (3-5) for NXT Tech Wax
                OR
                W9006 Tan Softbuff finishing pad (2-4) for Gold Class wax
                W7006 Burgundy softbuff cutting pad with X4003 Gold Class Clear Coat Safe Microfiber bonnet (2) to remove wax.
                Two Meguiar's detailing brushes

I also have sample bottles of #83 and #80 but haven't tried it yet.

These are my "basics" so far.
                It's not just chocolate, it's a lifestyle.

Comment

Pete-FWA - I have loads of microfibers. Well, I HAD loads. Until my dad found a trash bag full of towels waiting to be thrown in the wash. Thinking it was trash, he tossed it.
                  That's a shame.

Well, at least we know you were experienced with microfiber!

I saw the package deal at autodetailingsolutions.com. Is that the G-100? It says it has the lifetime warranty.
                  Yes, indeed, that's the one. Sounds as if you'll use the machine more than once or twice, so the warranty is a great deal.
                  See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

[i]
                    [/B]
                    Yeah, Meguiars charges the full suggested retail price for most things, so they arent competing their own with distributors and retailers.

Same G-100, and both Rick or Meguiars will honor the warranty if you ever need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Godiva

This is what I do now:
                      Wash with NXT due to local hard water.
                      Clay the car using NXT detailer.
                      Use Scratch-X if needed. Clean and use NXT detailer again.
                      Apply Deep Crystal Polish with W8006 Yellow soft buff foam polishing pad at 3-5. Small sections.
                      Remove while still wet with microfiber towel. Small sections.
                      I do one of the following:
                      -Apply Gold Class wax with W9006 Tan softbuff finishing pad at 2-4.
                      OR
                      -Apply NXT tech Wax using either another W8006 or a W9006 Tan softbuff finishing pad at 2-4. Try at 3 - 3.5. Do entire car and let dry.
                      I remove with W7006 cutting pad and microfiber bonnet at 2.5.

These are pretty much the steps I follow. Except it is by hand. I also throw in DC #2.

I truely enjoy detailing a car. It's hard work, but it pays off in the end. With my current steps done by hand, I usually wash and clay on Friday night, clean, polish, and wax on Saturday. Then add a second coat of wax on Sunday.

The G-100 seems like it will cut down on time and fatigue, while yielding BETTER results. Usually, when you use the "easier" step, in whatever you do, the quaility decreases as you save time doing these easier things. Not with the G-100. You save time and get better results...it's a win-win.

I've decided to go with package #2. I don't need some of the things (NXT Wax and Speed Detailer), so at first I was hesitant. But I figured for a few bucks more, it's worth it. maybe I'll be charitable and give the "extra" stuff to a friend

Browising the ADS site, I found many items that I could use in addition to the package deal. I was never a big fan of ordering new items or large items online. I like to touch and inspect something I've never seen before. With large items, the shipping can hurt. But ADS' shipping terms are great. Plus this site has eased concerns of buying a new product. This may turn out to be a rather large order. Well, I guess I'll just have to hold-off on taking my girlfriend out to dinner!!! She'll understand...I hope

Comment

Maybe ask Rick if you can swap a #21 sample for the Nxt bottle in the package. I dont know if he would, but worth asking if you want something different.

Comment

You know, I was thinking the same thing, and I was going to ask you guys if Rick would be willing to do something like that. But with such a good deal, I felt like I was pressing my luck.

But it can't hurt to ask
                          Last edited by 05PhillyStang; Mar 23, 2006, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');