• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove 3M double sided tape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to remove 3M double sided tape?

WD 40 can work as a solvent as well. That or a hair dryer to loosen it up then peel it off.

Comment

Mineral spirits...saturate a rag with some and go to town on that spot. Follow up same spot with quick detailer.
      Ray...
      Graphic Designer and detail semi-freak!

Comment

Originally posted by gbackus View Post
        My truck has some 3M double sided type above the windows were it used to hold onto some of those wind deflectors, however I decided to take them off. On the passenger side the tape was quite old and I was able to remove it with only moderate difficulty using a plastic razor blade. However, the driver's side tape is fairly new and still very tacky. I've tried both plastic and steel(very scary to use on paint) razor blades and they both just seem to remove the top portion of the tape, leaving a very thick and sticky residue that refuses to come off.

Anyone have any suggestions?
        WD-40 will work. Just spray the area, and leave on for a few minutes.

Comment

this thread is 7 years old. I don't think he's waiting for an answer. lol.
          Check post dates so your not commenting on posts that don't need answer anymore.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by gbackus View Post
            My truck has some 3M double sided type above the windows were it used to hold onto some of those wind deflectors, however I decided to take them off. On the passenger side the tape was quite old and I was able to remove it with only moderate difficulty using a plastic razor blade. However, the driver's side tape is fairly new and still very tacky. I've tried both plastic and steel(very scary to use on paint) razor blades and they both just seem to remove the top portion of the tape, leaving a very thick and sticky residue that refuses to come off.

Anyone have any suggestions?
            Going through this right now with the only difference being the door frame where the wind deflectors were attached have a matte black rubberized coating. Already tried an eraser wheel it burned right through the coating exposing the paint. Scraping with a razor blade just won't work either. Adhesive remover isn't helping. Will try WD40 next.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');