• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove 3M double sided tape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove 3M double sided tape?

My truck has some 3M double sided type above the windows were it used to hold onto some of those wind deflectors, however I decided to take them off. On the passenger side the tape was quite old and I was able to remove it with only moderate difficulty using a plastic razor blade. However, the driver's side tape is fairly new and still very tacky. I've tried both plastic and steel(very scary to use on paint) razor blades and they both just seem to remove the top portion of the tape, leaving a very thick and sticky residue that refuses to come off.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Could try Goo Gone, or something like Bug/Tar Remover, or the Body Solvent.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Yeah, a solvent-based approach along with the plastic razor blades. I usually use 3M Adhesive Remover. Try to figure out a way to hold a saturated cloth against the area to the solvent can dwell for a while (this might take some ingenuity).

Yesterday I spent an incredibly long time (nearly 30 minutes, and that's after the soaking) removing some old adhesive from a BMW. I had a goofy-looking Rube Goldberg setup holding the saturated cloth against the area in question. Looked weird but it kept the cloth where I wanted it.
      Practical Perfectionist

Comment

George, have you tried giving it some heat with a blow dryer to loosen it up?
        Quadruple Honda Owner
        Black cars are easy!

Comment

Originally posted by SpoiledMan
          George, have you tried giving it some heat with a blow dryer to loosen it up?
          I second that method. I had to remove a cracked window visor and heating it with a blow dryer made removing the tape so much easier. Once it has warmed up to where it's almost too hot to touch, it will virtually roll right off the paint with a rub of your finger.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.

I forgot to mention I did try body solvent, and it didn't seem to help much(also used safety solve from another company and no go). I'll try the blow dryer method before I go out and by some goo gone.

Thanks guys Ill report back.
            I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Alright, I tried the heat, and I can see where it would work for OLD tape, but this tape is still pretty new and sticky, and the heat only made it stickier. I can remove the tape no problem, but it's the residue it leaves behind that's giving me issues. I guess I'm going to have to just try a stronger solvent like the 3M stuff.
              I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

try some rubbing alcohol
                Darren

Comment

I used clay on the residue left by the tape.

Comment

Hi:

Another thing to consider is WD-40.

Saturate a cloth and hold on the adhesive.

Work on a cool surface and wash the area once you are finished.

Regards,

KTruck
                    Make it Shine

Comment

WD-40 will work....I have done it several times

Comment

Trying the WD-40 right now
                        I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Thanks guys. The WD-40 worked, got it out about 90%. The remaining 10% should come out with claying/polishing.
                          I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Re: How to remove 3M double sided tape?

I found that Goo Gone will work fine, for this task. You can pick it up at a grocery store or Wal-mart.

Comment

Re: How to remove 3M double sided tape?

3M Rubber Eraser Wheel???

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');