• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High fly'n SHINE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High fly'n SHINE

This is my second aircraft detail. I detailed it to be displayed at the Planes of Fame air show this weekend, May15-May 16 , 2004, in Chino , Ca. ------

( http://www.planesoffame.org/airshow04.html )

I love classic air planes as much as I love classic cars and this one was a joy to detail.

This one is a beechcraft stagger-wing. This paticular craft was made in 1946.

I discovered there is an acceptable practice at the airport of "dry washing" or "rag wrenching" aircraft clean. This practice usually means wiping the aircraft with a damp rag to get it clean. Although not a bad idea for flat or simi-flat military paint jobs, this way of cleaning aircraft with shiney paint could leave micro maring (tiny scratches) in the paint as seen in the pics below.

Last edited by Superior Shine; May 14, 2004, 10:38 PM.
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

I started, oddly enough, with "dry washing" the classic stagger-wing. I used a large fluffy wash mitt dipped a bucket mixed with NXT soap and water.

This type of aircraft has a fabric skin that is stretched over an aluminum and wood frame.

After the whole craft was clean I determined that a light cleaner
    would be best to remove the light scratches and to shine up the paint. This type of aircraft has a painted fabric skin that is stretched over an aluminum and wood frame. The fabric area sounds like a drum when you tap on it with your finger.

I am not sure how tough this material is so I cautiously proceeded to "clean" the finish with Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish. I did the ridged areas with the PC and the fabric covered area by hand (where is scottwax when you need him?)

As you can see I did get a little bit of red color on the pad of the PC.

Once the whole plane was DACP'ed and wiped down, I applied Meguiars new NXT Tech Wax.

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

While the NXT dried, I turned my attention to the plastic wind screen. The wind screen was lightly scratched and hazy.

I used Meguiars PlastX with a PC to polish the wind screen so it now appears clean and sharp.

Comment

It was now time to removed the NXT. The NXT wiped off easily and I was very happy with the deep wet gloss that the classic stagger-wing now wears.

Comment

Here are a few shots of the stagger-wing in direct sun light ---

Comment

In at least one of the pics you can see a very light cob-webbing around the suns reflection.

When you take into consideration that most of the craft was done by hand and that it must be polished with very light pressure, I believe the results are more than satisfactory.

I eagerly anticipate the next one!!!!

Comment

that looks amazing, great work

Comment

Joe = Whenever I see a new post from you, not only do I get a lesson in history but you always outdue yourself. A very enjoyable post. Tremendous work ....and thanks for reconditioning these planes to their glory days!

The plane shows are always a treat.
                "Automotive Detailing with a Passion!"

Comment

That looks great! I would guess the owner was very happy! You know after I saw you first post with the old traininer aircraft I was wonderind if you could wax a "fabric" plane? Well I guess you can!
                  Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

OMG..

That plane looks fantastic! Superb!

What an excellent job!

I too...just love reading your posts and processes! I've learned so much from them!

With these planes being detailed, it appears you have taken your passion and profession to a "higher" level!

My Dad said once..."Son...you can never do enough for a good customer!" I Said "Don't worry Dad...I won't"!

Hehehehe

Comment

Great job, as usual, SS!

I met a guy at the Meguiar's 3-Day Advanced Surface Care Training Course out in Irvine that specializes in aircraft detailing. I've been trying to get him to get on the boards and spearhead some information on detailing a plane but, I've yet to see him.

RP
                      -The Final Detail-
                      Lagrange, Kentucky
                      thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
                      CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Great job Sup!

So how long did it take for you to complete the plane? It must be a real chore with all those rivets!!

Tim
                        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                          Great job Sup!

So how long did it take for you to complete the plane? It must be a real chore with all those rivets!!

Tim
                          Not many rivets with Dope and Fabric. Across the ribs in the pictures you see stitching. That's to keep the ribs together and straight with the main fabric. Over the stitches is basically fabric tape that is doped on to protect the stitching. It's pretty strong. The only production aircraft that I know of that still uses it is the Maule.
                          Just think, even the big DC-3's have dope and fabric control surfaces! (Rudder, ailerons.)
                          Wayne

Still a Junior...

Comment

Originally posted by wlefevre
                            Not many rivets with Dope and Fabric. Across the ribs in the pictures you see stitching. That's to keep the ribs together and straight with the main fabric. Over the stitches is basically fabric tape that is doped on to protect the stitching. It's pretty strong. The only production aircraft that I know of that still uses it is the Maule.
                            Just think, even the big DC-3's have dope and fabric control surfaces! (Rudder, ailerons.)
                            Quite amazing that a plane can fly with nothing more than fabric covered wings and fusalage. My grandfather use to restore planes and I remember him recovering wings and things with th fabric.
                            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Joe: I am humbled.

I just delivered a black car, at the ($435) concourse level, received a "you are an artist" compliment, but this blows me away!

You are the man!

Jim (jimamary)

BTW, I think I'll have time to make my "brush" on Monday. Thanks again for the 'simple' tip!
                              Last edited by Jimmy Buffit; May 15, 2004, 06:56 PM.
                              If it was easy, everybody'd be doing it!

www.jimmybuffit.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');