• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washing Microfiber Polishing Cloths - Laundry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cleaning microfiber/towels

I just put my microfiber towels in the washer with the rest of my colored things, and then in the dryer. I don't see any ill effects.
    C5 Vette

Comment

I live in a warm climate so I scrub with a soft brush by hand then hang dry. Works like a charm and comes out brand new each time.

Comment

I am hearing all of this information about washing the pads that have velcro on them. I just use the small Gold Class applicator pads that do not go on a buffer or rotary and that are used by hand. They don't have any velcro on them. Is there a difference on how to wash these? I plan on using the same thing that Richard used, the Wonder Washer.

I also plan to use that machince with the microfibers that I have, since I have less than 10 of them.
        Glenn's 2005 Pontiac Grand Am GT with SC/T Appearance Package
        Best 1/8-mile: 9.975 @ 70.960 (60': 2.257)
        UNCC Horsepower Addicts

Comment

I usually wash my hi-tech applicator pads (the ones with no velcro) under the sink with regular handsoap and hot water (to take off wax/polish). It works REALLY REALLY good and they are still holding up perfect. I NEVER wring them, I let them soak up hot water and SQUEEZE really good and you can just see the wax pouring out. Then I keep squeezing to let ALL the water out and finally I let them air dry. Good as new.

p.s. and by handsoap I don't mean the soap bars like Dove and Caress, I mean the soap you push down on the top and get from the small container...

Comment

This topic came up in another forum. I am reposting here since the topic came up.
            ===============================
            I separate my towels into 3 categories:
            - Terry cloth
            - MF for paint
            - MF for wheels, underbody

I never, ever co-mingle any of the above when washing. The terry cotton occasionally will shed lint which will get trapped into the MF fibers. So the terry's get their separate treatment; hot wash, liquid detergent, mixed with simple green - no bleach or fabric softener. I throw those in the dryer.

The MF's used for paint - warm/cold wash, liquid detergent, SG & distilled vinegar. I just air dry them. I don't want my MF's in the dryer due to the potential of picking up lint from the dryer.

The MF's for underbody and wheels - I always presoak in a bucket of SG prior to washing. Those towels typically need an extra dose of SG for the degreasing affect. I let it presoak for at least 1/2 day. After pre-soak, I wash them like my MF paints above. Air dry as well.

On another note I like to batch up my washes so I have special containers to hold towels prior to washing. Prior to washing, I store the dirty MF's in separate containers for MF paint towels and underbody(with lids - to eliminate any dirt falling into the container) so that further cross contamination is eliminated. The main reason is I want my MF's for paint to last as long as possible and without fear of having any grit inside those fibers. It's anal, but I just want to do anything it takes to eliminate any kind of swirls coming from my towels - either from bad wiping techniques or, cross contamination.

On a final note, I store each towel (terry, MF paint, MF underbody) in their separate plastic baggie. The terry cloth require larger zip lock bags - Hefty makes a 10 gallon bag so I store like 3 towels in there. Squeeze out the air, and store them on the shelve ready for the next wash.

For the MF's, I just use regular hefty 1 gallon zip lock bags with the pulls. I keep the MF paint towels separated as well as the underbody. I mark the underbody bags with a sharpie pen on the outside label.

Now you will know I am full on nuts. I separate my good MF paints - WW's are in a separate bag, QD towels separate, Polish MF's separate, etc. I take all those bags and store them in a clear plastic container. So when I wash, I get my chemicals, grit guard bucket, mitts and pull out my clear plastic containers with WW's and Terry's. I can do it blind, because I know I store my containers in the same place.

I am starting to ramble, but I do the same procedure for my buffing pads. Each pad get a baggie and stored in a plastic container. So that when a buffing day comes along, I pull out the PC, the container with buffing pads, container with the buffing chemicals and the MF towel container.

And then there are the brushes...never mind you get my point. I am a sick person... :-)

Comment

i also seperate my towels.

1.Paint and body
              2. Wheels
              3. Terry Towels
              4. Glass
              5. Drying Towels

i,after use, soak my MF in bucket with all purpose cleaner (diluted i believe 10:1) and then use Tide (High Effi.) on cold. everytime, brand new.

soaking time varies depening on towel.

never had a problem yet. come out nice and clean and static.

Comment

Apparently I'm uniuque. In my household I'm the expert at a number of things, and laundry isn't one of them.

I just turn that stuff over to the "expert" with the added caution not to use softener on any of them. I pre-wash the pads by hand and she finishes the job in a delecates bag or the mini-basket.

I throw them in dirty and receive them back clean and folded. She doesn't give a hoot about running my machine(s), nor I hers. On the other hand, we each greatly appreciate the other's results.

Comment

well to wash my MF towels I take the laundry soap ONLY and scrub the bad areas with a soft tooth brush next I have a soak cycle on my washer so I soak them on the hottest temperature setting Next I Wash soap ONLY on the hottest Temperature setting and it spins them damp I repeat that soaking and scrubbing cycle as necessary.

After the towels look like new I wash but instead of soap I use distilled white vinegar where the soap goes. I do that because the vinegar removes left over suds

After the washer spins them the come out damp and static

Next I take a damp cloth and give the inside of the dryer a once over to get left over lint or whatever. Then I Time dry about 45 minutes with the hottest setting and TA DA! there new!

Takes about 3 hours! Thats pretty much what i do and they look new every time!

Comment

Good tips guys I justed washed some microfiber towels on warm. I did use a dryer sheet so now I may rewash them cause im worried. They also did not get perfectly clean.

Comment

no DRYER SHEETS you might have to rewash using my way to get that stuff out of the towel because of the dryer sheet

Comment

Re: Washing Microfiber Polishing Cloths - Laundry

***Moved to Hot Topics***
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

For my use its like this. Anything microfiber same load. Home wash machine. Pretreat with shout spray. Wash gentle cycle with all free. Terry's single load. Same process. G100 pads seperate load. To dry these items seperate loads of course. No sheets,low heat. However I will not place in my dryer my g100 pads. I just place them on top of the dryer and after each load just flip them. After each of these loads I take a clorax wipe and wipe down the inside of the wash drum. This keeps everyone happy.
                          quality creates its own demand

Comment

this Wonder Washer looks interesting very matter of fact

Comment

I found local store selling "Wonder Washer" for $32+tax.
                              I don't know if its worth to buy one
                              03 MINI BRG/BLK CVT - SOLD | 08 Black WRX - FAST!

Comment

I don't use any normal detergents or laundry soap. I wash my microfibers seperately from everything else that would go into the washing machine. I use one of the products below. They work great for me! Try them as they are designed specifically for cleaning Microfiber towels!

I use one of two products called: (One Comes in 2 Sizes)
                                - Micro-Restore - 32 Oz. - $14.99
                                - Micro-Restore - 128 Oz. - $35.00
                                - Pinnacle Micro Rejunvenator -16 Oz. - $14.99

The Prices are from Autogeek.com
                                Mike Bara
                                CEO of MPB System Solutions, LLC
                                **Professional Detailer
                                **Computer & Network Technician

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');