• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washing Microfiber Polishing Cloths - Laundry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing Microfiber Polishing Cloths - Laundry

Washing Microfiber Polishing Cloths - Laundry

What is the best way to care for microfiber cloths and towels between usage?

I've heard people say not to use powdered detergents, or not to dry towels, etc. My mother said that fabric softener in the dryer will prevent the towels from absorbing as much water, so I don't use them anymore (this has proved true).

I've used warm water washes with liquid detergent and then dried everything without a softening sheet so far, but was wondering if this was the best way.

I searched around before making this post and didn't really find an answer to my question, so if someone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

My mom just washed my towel @ 40 degrees

Clean and static like a new one

Comment

First off fabric softener is bad! Just cold water wash them on a gentle cycle using a light cleaner. I usually use woolite as I have a lot of it lying around. Then I hang dry mine.

Comment

Ryan - What is the best way to care for microfiber cloths and towels between usage?

I roll my towels up and store them in a plastic, 16 quart see thru container with lid. Target has these for maybe $6 or $7 bucks each. On the underside of the lid snap off the [4] four tabs that lock the top to the bottom. This little detail lets air circulate through the container letting in only the macro dust particles which I do not believe makes a hill of difference to the performance of the towels. I can always see my available stock of towels and the lid comes off easily enough now. I purchased a second container of the same size that I nest below container 1 that holds my clean towels and use this 2nd container as my used/dirty towel bin at my detail site and this really helps me keep a tidy work area.

Here is what I have been doing concerning washing and drying MF products and my PC pads.

I have been washing MF and Pads in the washing machine together.
        I use Tide HE liquid, setting washer to:
        Fabric - Delicate
        Wash/Rinse – Cold/Cold
        Options – Max Extract & Extra Rinse
        Dial set to Heavy Stains.
        Dryer:
        Temp - Delicate & Less Dry
        I wash & dry pads and MF together with no unfortunate effects to either product. My wife was kind enough to borrow me an old delicates bag that is mesh with zipper to contain the pads in the dryer. Pickup at supermarket in the soap section.
        I use 80/20 [light blue color] for light to heavy cleaning and 70/30 [bright green color] for all the fine work. All bonnets are 80/20.

I store pads in a Home Depot WorkForce plastic tool box that sells for $6 bucks.

As you may have guessed I have really done my research on these products and am sharing my knowledge and what works for me with all who are interested because I like to share and who wants to reinvent the wheel so to speak. I hope this help everybody out. Later
        The way a person treats their car is a direct reflection of how they treat themselves

Comment

Originally posted by Lt1Corvette
          First off fabric softener is bad! Just cold water wash them on a gentle cycle using a light cleaner. I usually use woolite as I have a lot of it lying around. Then I hang dry mine.
          You are doing everything wrong my friend. First of all use hot water, regular cycle, your towels won't melt or fall apart believe me. Woolite and gentle cycle is for delicate fabrics and won't clean as well as regular liquid detergents such as All or Era. Drying: if the towel is natural like cotton then hot air, if polyester then warm air or line dry.

And yes, fabric softener and dryer sheets are bad as they are coating your towels with silicone. Use a little distilled white vinegar in the final rinse cycle which will help remove any excess detergent and soften your towels naturally.

To store the towel just keep them in a plastic bin or bag but avoid one that is totally air tight, you want some air circulation to avoid mildew and rit.
          Leo

Comment

Um...for those of you that are disagreeing a bit on water temp, type of detergent, etc., let me point out that less agressive washing techniques may work fine depending on the soil. I will of course defer to DFTowel who is the textile expert, but discounting drying and glass towels, which I keep separate, my bucket of dirty MF's might be soiled with everything from abrasive polishes to chemical cleaners to interior cleaners to dressings to cleaner waxes to polymer sealants to paste waxes to various types of QD's. Some have pronounced odors (#40 is particularly difficult to get out).

My observation is that there is such a range of difficulty in removing those soils, that both of you may be right. Of course, if you have a mixed load, you need to use the most agressive approach to make sure you get everything clean.

Comment

Well here is the thing about using hot water... hot water simply cleans better, period.

Look at it this way, waxes and polishes as well as most all the chemicals and cleaners and degreasers we use on our vehicles are not water soluble. If polish and wax were water soluble they would rinse off on the first rainy day and offer no protection.

Since they are not water soluble try to picture these waxes, polishes, etc, adhered in a dried state to the fibers of your towels. Now cold water will simply allow them to remain in a solid state and not completely wash off. Hot water, however, allows them to soften and loosen from the threads and allows the detergent to act as it should and lift the contaminants from the fabric.

It's not rocket science guys, it's laundry!
              Leo

Comment

I agree, DF...that's why I use hot. I also have had some colors bleed on the first washing and turn everything pink or light blue. I'm was just pointing out that the gentleman who washes in cold with Woolite may be getting his stuff clean depending on what's on the towel.

Comment

Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for. I never thought about sticking my PC pads in the washer, either; it's good to know it's safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
                    Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for. I never thought about sticking my PC pads in the washer, either; it's good to know it's safe.

I wouldn't stick pads in the wash.....

SRT-10 Silver

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan
                      Hey,

Just to chime in...

Meguiar's does not recommend the washing of the PC pads as it may loosen the velcro.

Please refer to the link that Newport Viper provided previously.

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I have washed several of my polishing pads roughly twenty five times and they are still holding up well. Regular detergent, cool water, and gentle cycle. Once the cycle is done I run rinse cycle one more time. Just as a note, I only do this with pads used to apply polishes not waxes.

Comment

I wash by hand in hot water in the utility tub using whatever laundry detergent we have at the time. Hang dry afterwards

Comment

mikehn, do you mean pads or M/Fs i am not sure you want to wash your pads in warm water
                            Patrick Yu
                            2003 Honda Accord
                            2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

To wash, I hand wash only in warm

to dry, I hang my pads on end using a strip of Velcro. Even on a windy day on the clothes line. No way they're falling off using that stuff
                              See Kevin's '03 PT Cruiser GT here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/477590

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');