• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! How do I install the back-up plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! How do I install the back-up plate?

Hey All,

I have the PC Model No. 7424 and am trying to figure out how to install the back-up plate correctly. I took some pics that might help you guide me along, since I am confused at the directions, and I am sure someone on here knows how to do this.

My PC:

My back-up plate:

The instructions:

The diagram:

FL

Oh wait a minute... Do I just hold tight to the center thing that rotates, and the back-up plate just screws on? That all?

And could someone simplify how to remove the back-up plate? Thanks
    FL

Comment

There is a wrench proviced that slides between the plate and the machine so that you can hold the spindle from turning while you spin the plate tight (just like Fig. 6). You sound like you're on the right track.

Comment

Hey, this is starting to come together

How's this for clearance? It won't screw on any tighter.
        FL

Comment

Originally posted by FlaresideLariat
          [B]Hey, this is starting to come together

How's this for clearance? It won't screw on any tighter.
          It looks good from this vantage. It looks like you have the velcro pad in which case you won't have to go through this very often.

Comment

Yes, it all came in one special package I ordered. I thought it was just part of the backing plate? Will I ever need to change it?
            FL

Comment

Looks like you've got it to me. One quick note, don't over tighten it as you can strip out the threads. Fixing that would probably end up costing you a new PC.

Also, unless you have a velcro (hook and loop) failure of sorts, you'll probably never change it. I leave my backing plate on all the time....

RP
              -The Final Detail-
              Lagrange, Kentucky
              thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
              CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Originally posted by Rockpick
                Looks like you've got it to me. One quick note, don't over tighten it as you can strip out the threads. Fixing that would probably end up costing you a new PC.

Also, unless you have a velcro (hook and loop) failure of sorts, you'll probably never change it. I leave my backing plate on all the time....

RP
                Hook and Loop... I have heard of that, but not familiar with it. These pads, they just have a slab of velcro on them, and it pretty much looks to me like the pad just sticks onto the plate.

At least I hope
                FL

Comment

Hey,

Velcro is the Trade Name for hook and loop material. And, yep, the pads just stick to the velcro on the backing plate.

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

nvm nvm nvm
                    Last edited by FlaresideLariat; May 14, 2004, 08:58 PM.
                    FL

Comment

nvm nvm nvm

What does nvm stand for??

Tim

Comment

it means 'nevermind', I had posted something and then edited it out, because I just understood what I didn't understand , lol.
                        FL

Comment

Be careful when using the backing plate that came with your polisher. I have heard that Porter Cable's BP grabs Meg's buffing pads tighter than the BP sold by Meguiars.

What I mean is, the BP you have now may pull the white velcro off of a buffing pad if you're not careful.

Just something I've heard others say.
                          r. b.

Comment

it means 'nevermind', I had posted something and then edited it out, because I just understood what I didn't understand , lol.
                            Ok, now I am really confused....LOL!!!

Tim

Comment

It's ok

The pads I got aren't Meguiar's. We'll see what happens.
                              FL

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');