• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC/CC or Single Stage Paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC/CC or Single Stage Paint?

If you walk up and inspect a vehicle how do you know if it is single stage paint or if it is base coat/ clear coat?

Hey,

Take some cleaner polish on a cloth and apply it to the paint. If it pulls color from the paint, it is SS paint. If no color other than the product is visible, it is BC/CC paint. Otherwise, it is difficult to tell.

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

If you're not gonna be touching it (e.g., shows where one type of paint or the other is "correct" for judging) you can often tell by how it looks with regard to depth and reflection. Hard to describe, but when you've seen enough ss and b/c paintjobs you get to where you can often tell the difference. Not always though, some colors make it pretty impossible to tell.
      Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Originally posted by Accumulator
        If you're not gonna be touching it (e.g., shows where one type of paint or the other is "correct" for judging) you can often tell by how it looks with regard to depth and reflection. Hard to describe, but when you've seen enough ss and b/c paintjobs you get to where you can often tell the difference. Not always though, some colors make it pretty impossible to tell.
        True, on some metallics, a trained eye could spot SS paint. But on solid colors, that would be tough.

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Yeah, I've had a lot of ss metallics over the years (and currently have two). Some of them have a multi-layered effect where the base color settles to bottom, metallic flakes settle on top of that, clear is on top like cream (can't do much correction on these or they'll fail). Those are like b/c with thin clearcoats.

Some solid types of black and green lacquer have a truly unique look that I can spot right away and I just *love* but that's probably from looking at/working on old Cadillacs and Jaguars

While b/c is best for most people, I still have a fondness for well-maintained, high-quality ss. Seeing an old Jag with b/c paint just rubs me the wrong way (which leads to some, uhm, interesting discussions at Jaguar Club of Ohio meetings ).
          Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');