• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First G100 effort. Good and Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First G100 effort. Good and Bad

Hi all,

I got my G100 yesterday, all the way from the US of A, and I'm using a big stepdown transformer to run it from the 240V supply we have here in Australia.

My car, a 1992 BMW E34 M5, is in OK condition, and always looks good after a good clean and wax, but it also has a fair amount of cobwebbing that I was keen to fix.

Unfortunately, I wasn;t able to get any #83 and #80 locally, I will have to order some from the US again, so I thought I would have a go at removing the cobwebbing with some #9 Swirl Remover 2.0. I taped off a small area of my bonnet (hood), and set to work with an 8006 pad and the G100 set at 5. I tried it a few times, trying Mikes well documented guides, but I was having very little effect. I guess that means that the clear coat on my car is very hard then, right?

Then I tried some #1 medium cut cleaner that I had here, also with the 8006 and G100 at speed 5. Big mistake! It left heaps of fine scratches all over the small area that I was working. I went back over it a few more times with #9 again, and got most, but not all, of the scratches out.

I was feeling pretty down after this, so I reapplyed some DC#2 polish to the bonnet (hood) using a hand applicator and wiped it of using an MF wipe.

Today I also bought some NXT Tech Wax, and so I was keen to try that too. I've always just used DC#3 Carnauba Wax, and been happy with the results, but everyone here raves about the NXT so I thought I would give it a try.

I applyed it using an 8006 with the G100 on speed 2, very easy to spread evenly doing it this way. Then, I used an MF bonnet that I had just bought over a clean 8006 pad, and removed the wax. These MF bonnets are fantastic. Whenever I use a terry cloth to remove wax, I find they are forever gumming up, and I end up using 3 or 4 towels to remove the wax from the car. With the MF bonnet, I did half of the car, turned the bonnet inside out, and the did the other half of the car.

And the end result is fantastic. I will use NXT and the 8006/MF Bonnet combo from now on, very easy to use, and the results are great.

So, all I have to do now is order some #83 and #80, and have another go at removing the cobwebs.

Regards

John
    See my BMW E34 M5 at http://www.jrobbo.com/M5

Hi John,

Just because #9 didn't work, don't draw the conclusion that the paint on your car is hard, it may or may not be hard or soft, but the fact is that the #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 is very gentle especially when applied using the dual action polisher.

Your results with the #1 Medium Cut Cleaner just serve to document for others not to use this product with the dual action polisher as it's only recommended for use with rotary buffers.

When you get the M83 and the M80 you'll see better results.

Hang in there...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the words of encouragement Mike, i'll post back when I get the #83 and #80 and let you know how I go.

Regards

John

PS. I'm going to meet a friend shortly who owns a 1995 BMW 540i LE and we are going to find a nice spot and take some photos. I'll post some to show off the results of the Tech Wax soon!

Comment

Hi again,

I took a few photos yesterday evening around sunset, i'm pretty happy with the way the Tech Wax came out, I think it look great. Once I get rid of some of the cobwebbing, i'll be able to get some real depth back in the colour

Regards

John

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');