• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

zymol cleaner wax vs. meguiars gold glass clear coat liquid wax help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zymol cleaner wax vs. meguiars gold glass clear coat liquid wax help!!

im going to detail my max...here is the process im using:

- wash using meguiars gold glass car shampoo
    - drying- 100% cotton towels and california water blade
    - polishing using meguiars color x
    - seal and glaze using mothers sealer and glaze phase 2
    - wax either using zymol cleaner wax or meguiars gold glass clear coat liquid car wax, not sure...

does anyone know using which wax offers better protection? meguiars gold glass clear coat liquid car wax or zymols cleaner wax? ever since ive own the car, ive been using zymol wax, this is the first time im going to try the meguiars liquid wax.

another question, if i wanted to, i can apply 2 or more coats of wax (which ever i use) to protect the paint? do i have to wait a certain amount of time to apply another coat?

Well, for your last question, Meguairs recomends waiting at least 20 minutes between waxing. If you can, 12 hours is the absolute best, but we cant all wait that long.

I cant speak to Zymols durability, but I always hear they have good products.

However, I am noticing the potential of a little bit of repeating in your process, which seems a bit un-needed. Granted we are dealing with different companies terminology, so it gets a little tricky. But it looks like this in Meguiars terms:

1. Wash (Gold Class)
    2. Cleaner/Polish/Wax (ColorX)
    3. Wax (Mothers)

Then

4. Wax (Gold Class)
    or
    4. Cleaner/Polish/Wax (Zymol)

If you choose to use the Zymol, it will be removing the wax from steps 2 and 3, which seems like repeating and a bit of a waste to me.

Assuming you apply one coat of each, going with Gold Class will give you 3 coats of wax, which would be good for the 2-3 coats of wax Meguiars recomends.

If you really like the Zymol, it would seem best to just wash and go straight to it, and then maybe top it with a pure wax.

Here is a few helpfull links as well for you:

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

What's the Deal with "Layering"?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Zymol is very high quality and from my experince I usually get good water beeding for atleast 2 months, parking my vehicle outside. Zymol is more of a cleaner with alittle wax, and as such should be applied in 2 foot sections at a time and wiped off before it dries.

It will remove some (little surface oxidation or very very light swirls) and does create a decent shine. However, imo only, I get a deeper and clearer shine when I seperate the steps. You might want to try #7 followed by DC3 or NTX wax.

Since you are going to polish with Color X, I would stop after that point and evaluate your surface. If your paint is to your liking then cover with wax.

I'm sure Mike will tell you, do a small section with Zymol over the Color X and compare it to a section with glaze and wax, and do a side by side comparision. Its all personal preferance, so its a matter of opinion on what looks best for you.
      Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

is color x for all kinds of paint conditions? because my paint on my max is in excellent condition except for the fact that i have alot of bird and water etches on the hood and some spider web swirls. i already detailed my car, this was my process which took 3 hours total...
        - wash with meguiars gold shampoo
        - dry with 100% cotton towels and california water blade.
        - polish with meguiars color x (1 coat)
        - seal with mothers seal and glaze (1 coat)
        - final wax with meguiars gold class clear coat liquid car wax (2 coats)

the final outcome is great, but the bird and water etchings are still on the hood , also there are still tons of spider web and swirl marks, but other than that, the paint looks awesome!!

Comment

ColorX is a really nice product. It has diminishing abrasives, so it makes it a mild to medium strength cleaner. If you work it in gently, you get a real nice and gentle cleaner wax. If you work it in with a good amount of passion, and perhaps 2 passes, you get the ability to remove mild swirls, and oxidation.

For deeper swirls and etchings, you will need ScratchX by hand, or the use of a machine to help you.

Perhaps a little more reading material as well on the subject:

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I think you will prefer the Gold Class wax, assuming it's a new bottle (the product was reformulated in Dec 04). You will have as nice a shine and a lot less dusting, and the shine and protection will last longer.

The Zymol beads water; the Gold Class does not, it will sheet water.

A couple things, though.

You have a lot of overkill with those different waxes.

ColorX and ZCW are one-step products. Using them as part of a multiple process defeats their purpose. They are great for what they are, but they don't clean as well as a dedicated cleaner and they don't protect as well as a dedicated wax.

After your wash step, insert an extra step: clay your car. It's easy, as easy as washing or waxing.

Clean your paint after claying with Meguiar's Step 1 (of the 3 step system).

Then do the Mother's Sealer & Glaze, OR the Gold Class. Not both. The Gold Class has mild cleaners in it that make it a less than ideal choice for putting over a competitor's sealant/glaze.

Since I'm not a Mother's user (it's a great product but I'm on a product purchase moratorium for the rest of my life), other Mother's users can help out with the proper way to use those products.

If you are working by hand, the best product to remove etching and marring is ScratchX. Take your time, work in small sections. It won't be easy, but it WILL work.

Tom
            As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Well Maxima2k2 it appears you'll have a small Dilema as already mentioned above.

First let me start by saying that you may want to be careful with the california water blade, although it is a good product it may also be harmful to your paint if it wasn't washed properly. When using the Blade make sure your car is free of any dirt because their is a potential for draging particles across your finish which in turn will cause scratches. Personally I'd go with a microfiber towl for drying and leave the blade for the windows.

Second while Zymol makes great products their is also an imitation wax out there with their label on it, it's made by Turtle Wax and it's in a blue bottle. Many car enthusiasts call it Zurtlewax. This is also a good one step product... however it is very messy it leaves alot of blue dust when you wipe it off, thus creating an extra chore of having to wipe that dust off.

Third Mother's sealer glaze step 2's main purpose is to seal and HIDE swirls(Act as a filler), so if you use the Colorx or Zymol products after applying the Step 2 chances are you will remove it because of the two product's cleaning properties.

IMHO I would take this approach:

1. Wash (Gold Class)
              2. Cleaner/Polish/Wax (ColorX)
              3. Sealer/ Glaze (Mother's)
              4. Wax (Meguiars Gold Class)

Oh by the way if you do layer wait atleast 20-30 minutes after your firs wax application.

Good luck let us know how it turned out.
              Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');