• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations plzzzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations plzzzz

Guys, please help me out here. Due to limited net access, I don’t have much time to find the required products I need, there I need your input. Let use the example, of a
    Car that’s in average condition with regards to its paint work, When I say average I mean, it has light swirls etc,

I’m a average weekend detailer, and by no means a professional, with regards to the
    5-step car guide, which of the products do you recommend. I plan to make use of the
    G –100 Dual action Polisher

1. Washing?
    2. Cleaning – which paint cleaner? And which clay bar?
    3. Polishing – which cleaner / polish to remove swirls and light scratches?
    And which pure polish to create a brilliant shine and gloss?
    4. Protecting, - which wax?

Also, I presume that specific pads required for each step?, eg a specific pad for applying paint cleaner? Polishing? Which is the right pad for each step?

Guys, I know that each individual, has there own preference, but which are the most popular with regards to the above?

Any help with be much appreciated

Hi Rowen,

Here's a few threads that pertain to your questions...

Read through the above two threads and you should have a pretty good idea of the products you need, here's a summary list...

• Car Wash - NXT Car Wash or Gold Class Car Wash
      Clay - Meguiar's Quik Clay Kit or our new Smooth Surface™ Clay Kit
      Cleaner/Polish - M80 Speed Glaze
      Pads - 2 W-8006 polishing pads, 1 W-9006 finishing pad
      Wax - Your choice, NXT Tech Wax is a great way to go
      Quick Detailer for in-between normal washing and waxing - Go with either Quik Detailer or Speed Detailer
      Applicator pads
      Microfiber Polishing Cloths

Like I say, read through to two thread I included above and soak up the information.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the response, been fairly new to this forum, I have spent alot of time just reading, and what struck me is that most of the questions that I have asked, has been covered in another section or some where, but you still taking the time to respond, which is much apperciated by myself and Im sure by tons of other readers out there as well...

tx Mike, I can see you have a passion for detailing!

Comment

Remember you can also print out any posts, articles, etc and make a nice folder as well for yourself, so you arent always having to sit online to read stuff.

You'll especaialy want to print out the pad/speed setting for the G-100.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Murr1525, tx

while you are online, can you please give me some insight here..

1. how is the G-100 different form your other polishers? what makes it so popular?

2. with regards to "speed glaze", where does this fit in on the 5 step process? what is the similair product to speed glaze or it subsitue?

3. Deep Crystal paint cleaner vs ScracthX, I see that Deep Crystal can be used to remove swirls, where as ScracthX removes swirls and light scracthes? is this correct?

4. Can ScracthX, be used by applying it with the G-100?

Comment

1. The best thing about the G-100 (besides a lifetime warranty), is that it is powerfull enough to remove most swirls, oxidation, while being gentle enough that it really cant damage the paint.

It is not a rotary, so it does have its limits, but you make up for that with the ease of use and safety for the paint.

You'll also see lots of 'palm polisher' type things that are only ok at applying wax, and are in to way strong enough to remove defects, or even buff wax off nicely.

2. Meguiars Pro-line products are generaly designed for a 'shop' environment, where speed is important. Therefore, they have sort of combined the steps of the cleaner and polish into one product.

So you sort of have to pick what way you want to do things. You might spend more time on your own car, but just do what the customer pays for. So you could end up with a few possible routines, and other variations.

1. Wash
            2. Clay if wanted
            3. Light Clean/Polish - #80
            4. Wax

1. Wash
            2. Clay if wanted
            3. Medium Clean/Polish - #83
            4. Light Clean/Polish - #80
            5. Wax

1. Wash
            2. Clay if wanted
            3. Light Clean/Polish - #80
            4. Polish - #7, or #5, or #81 (pure Polishes)
            5. Wax

Or even:

1. Wash
            2. #66 Quick Detailer (cleaner/polish/wax)

You can of course think of more variations than that, and even use some of them as different packages for customers to pick from.

The products like #80 Speed Glaze (cleaner/polishes) are, #82 (very light), #83 (medium).

3. Deep Crystal will not remove swirls. At least not anything worthwhile. If working by hand, you would want ScratchX to remove swirls and scratches, and is very good for removing swirls and light scratches in a small area. However, it ***** to ScratchX a whole car. Enter the G-100 with the appropriate cleaner/polish, like #80 or #83.

4. Yo can apply ScratchX with the G-100... but if you have the G-100, I'd be inclined to try #83 first.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Rowen
              Murr1525, tx

while you are online, can you please give me some insight here..
              Well I'm not Murr1525 but I'll take a stab at these questions...

1. how is the G-100 different form your other polishers? what makes it so popular?

Rotary vs PC vs Regular Orbital Buffer

First, let's start with the information in Meguiar's *NEW* FAQ

2. What's the difference between?

* Dual-Action polisher
              * Orbital buffer
              * Rotary buffer

Dual-Action polishers and Orbital buffers

The motors and drive units on these two types of polisher's oscillate in an eccentric circular motion. This type of motion is much safer to the paint because it's virtually impossible to apply too much concentrated pressure in one place at one time. Chances are good that when too much pressure is applied, the oscillating action will come to a stop thereby protecting the finish.

Because these types of machines oscillate instead of rotate, they will not instill the dreaded buffer swirls or holograms into your finish as long as you use the appropriate chemicals, buffing pads and bonnets. This safety feature makes these machines highly popular with enthusiasts who would like to use a machine but at the same time, are afraid of burning or inflicting swirls into their car's finish.

Both the G-100 and Orbital buffers offer a number of benefits:

* Uncomplicated – Remove from box, attach buffing pad or bonnet, plug in, turn on, start buffing.

* Versatile – Can be used for cleaning, polishing, and applying waxes.

* Takes most of the labor out of the process, the machine does the work, all you do is hold it.

* Faster, more thorough - you can cover more area and do a better job with a machine.

* Creates a more uniform, higher gloss finish than your hands.

* Pushes polishing oils and protective waxes into the pores and microscopic surface imperfections far better than your hands can ever accomplish.

In recent years, the Porter Cable Dual-Action polisher (G-100) has become the machine of choice over the older style Orbital buffers for a number of different reasons:

* Smaller size and lighter weight makes them easier for anyone to use.

* Very easy to control, requires no previous experience or skill to use correctly.

* Smaller size enables you to work on small panels and tight areas easier with better control.

* More options for buffing pads and bonnets.

* Velcro® interface makes changing between pads fast and easy.

Rotary buffers

Rotary buffers are drastically different in the way they work compared to Dual-action polishers and Orbital buffers.

The drive unit used in a rotary buffer is referred to as a direct drive. What this means is the auger, (the threaded part to which the backing plate attaches), is driven directly off the electric motor. This results in a powerful rotating motion. This rotating motion is typically clockwise as you look at the rotary buffer from behind, as though you were using it on a panel.

Because the rotary buffer is a direct drive machine, it can do a lot of work very quickly. By work, we mean, the rotary buffer will remove paint.

Meguiar's understands the average person doesn't want to remove precious paint from their car's finish. However, sometimes removing paint is necessary in order to create a high gloss, defect-free finish. Example: If you have a scratch in your car's finish, say someone keyed your car, or a cat jumped up on the hood and left behind claw scratches. From a horizontal point of view, these scratches would look like this,

In order to remove these scratches, you will need to remove enough paint surrounding the scratches in order to make the surface level. As you can see in this example, removing the scratches will require removing quite a bit of paint material, and in the case of the deep key scratch (where the arrow is pointing), you will not be able to completely remove it without exposing the base, or color coat of paint. This is a situation where you are better off improving the scratch, not completely removing the scratch.

Second Example: Many cars, after being painted, are wet-sanded in order to remove orange peel or to bring the surface to a show car quality finish. After the finish has been sanded, the way you remove the sanding marks is to buff the finish with a cutting compound and a rotary buffer. The cutting compound abrades the paint, removing, or leveling the finish until it’s completely flat.

After the surface is buffed flat, it will then be polished with a cleaner/polish like Meguiar’s M-83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish with the rotary buffer to restore a swirl-free, high gloss finish. Rotary buffers are necessary to do both of these procedures because both of these procedures require that some portion of the paint is removed.

Dual-action polishers and Orbital buffers do not have an aggressive enough action to remove small particles of paint in an effort to remove most defects, including sanding marks. This is the same reason Dual-action polishers and Orbital buffers are safe… they don’t have an aggressive action, thus they are safe. However, because they are safe (do not have an aggressive action), they are not aggressive enough to remove all but the finest of scratches.

Do not purchase a dual action polisher or orbital buffer hoping to use these to remove major or even minor scratches, as they are just not aggressive enough. They can often be used to remove fine or shallow scratches and swirls, but they will not remove any scratch that is deep enough to place your fingernail into.

Remember, using a rotary buffer successfully requires both skill and experience. If you use a rotary buffer and are not skilled in its use, you can easily apply too much pressure to the paint and burn right through it, requiring a new paint job. This same result can happen if you use a buffing pad attached to an electric drill.

2. with regards to "speed glaze", where does this fit in on the 5 step process? what is the similar product to speed glaze or it substitute?
              It's in the Step 3 Polishing section, that is, it's a polish, but it's a cleaner/polish, that is used to remove light below surface defects.

I'll probably re-write this section and put cleaner/polishes into the Step 2 section called Surface Prep, because technically it remove defects and technically that would place it into the Step 2 Surface Prep section.

From The 5-Step Paint Care Cycle, the section on our 2 different types of polishes.

Step-3 Polishing

Meguiar's offers two types of polishes, Cleaner Polishes and Pure Polishes. Cleaner Polishes are for removing very light or fine defects while restoring a crystal clear, smooth high gloss surface. Pure polishes are for finishes already in excellent condition and are for the purpose or creating brilliant high gloss with deep dark reflections.

If you look in Webster's Dictionary under the word polish, one of the definitions they include reads like this:

"A preparation that is used to produce gloss, and often color for the protection and decoration of a surface."

This definition best describes Meguiar's Pure Polishes. Meguiar's pure polishes are designed to create brilliant high gloss while preparing the surface for the application of a protective coating. Meguiar's pure polishes accomplish this without the use of abrasives.

Another definition found in Webster's Dictionary for polish is,

"To make smooth and glossy by friction."

This definition best describes Meguiar's Cleaner/Polishes. Meguiar's cleaner polishes are formulated to very gently abrade the surface with Meguiar's Diminishing Abrasive TM and Buffered Abrasive TM technology to remove the finest defects and create a perfectly smooth, high gloss finish.

Depending on what type of paint you're working on, traditional paints like lacquers and enamels, or catalyzed clear coats, Meguiar's has the products specifically designed to work on both types of paints, not to mention many other surfaces such as plastics and polyester resins (Fiberglas Gel-coats).

Meguiar's Trade Secret Polishing Oils
              The trade secret oils Meguiar's uses in both types of polishes are unique to the industry and to this day have never been surpassed for creating deep, dark reflections and brilliant high gloss by any of our competitors in over 100 years.

The oils Meguiar's uses are also important in maintaining the original condition of the paint by filling in the naturally occurring microscopic pores and surface imperfections thus preventing detrimental substances and elements as simple as water, or worse, acid-rain, from entering into these pores and microscopic surface imperfections thus causing oxidation and chemical etching. These oils act to replace the original resins as they wear away through natural processes.

When paint is new, it is the most impermeable it will ever be, this means it is a very smooth non-porous, continuous film. With age, exposure to the environment and micro-scratching caused by day-in, day-out wear and tear, your paint develops micro-fissures in the surface along with other defects. These micro-fissures and other defects act to make the continuous film or coating of paint more porous. As this happens, your car's finish becomes more vulnerable to corrosive elements that will attack and degrade your finish.

Remember, waxes, synthetic or otherwise, are meant to be Sacrificial Barriers with the intended purpose sealing the surface, while blocking those things that would attack your paint, from coming into direct contact with the paint.

"Waxes protect your finish by sacrificing themselves so that your paint doesn't have to"

An analogy is your skin. In the same way you can clean, polish and protect your skin, you can clean, polish and protect your car's finish. Soap can be used to clean your skin and remove dirt from the pores. Skin lotions can be used to moisturize your skin, conditioning it and making it more clear and beautiful. Protection products like lotions used to protect hands from exposure to chemicals and UV protectants can be applied to help protect your skin from the things that would attack your skin if these harmful things could come into direct contact with your skin.

While human skin and automotive paint are very different, the analogy is very similar. With Meguiar's, you can:

* Wash your car's finish to remove unwanted and accumulated dirt contaminants
              * Clean your paint with our special paint cleaners and cleaner/polishes
              * Polish your paint with our pure polishes to create unequaled beauty
              * Protect your paint with our advanced paint protection products
              * Maintain your car's finish using our fast and easy to use maintenance products.

The unique thing about Meguiar's highly specialized trade secret oils is their ability to restore and maintain the Optical Clarity of both single stage and clear coat paints in a way that waxes alone cannot match, (both natural and synthetic), the results of which are demonstrated in side-by-side comparisons.

[quote]3. Deep Crystal paint cleaner vs ScratchX, I see that Deep Crystal can be used to remove swirls, where as ScratchX removes swirls and light scratches? is this correct?[/b]
              You're making this harder than it really is.

Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is a chemical paint cleaner only and is very limited in removing swirls because it's so gentle to the finish. Remember, in order to remove a swirl, you have to remove the paint surrounding the swirl until the highest points on the surface are equal with the lowest depth of the swirls. Thus you have to remove paint. As I just wrote above, Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner is a chemical only paint cleaner so it's not going to be very effective at removing small particles of paint.

ScratchX on the other hand does contain ingredients that will help you and your hand to remove small particles of paint, thus it is more effective at removing swirls.

Here's some more information from our forum on these two topics...

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

In order to remove a scratch out of anything, metal, plastic glass, paint, etc. You must remove material around the scratch until the surface is level or equal to the lowest depths of the scratch or scratches.

The below diagram if for paint, the the same thing applies to just about an surface material or coating.

In essences, you don't really remove a scratch, you remove material around a scratch.

Then the big question is, is the material or coating workable, as in can you abrade small particles of it and leave behind an original looking surface. For example, some things you can abrade, (remove the scratch), but you can never completely remove all of your abrading marks, thus you can't really fix the problem, all you can do is exchange one set of scratches of a different set of scratches.

The next questions is, how thick is the surface material you're working on or the coating. You are limited to what you can do by the thickness of these to things, (surface coating or surface material), and whether or not this surface is workable.

Sometimes you don't know what you can so until you try. It's always a good idea to test your choice of products, applicator materials and application process, (By hand or by machine), to an inconspicuous area. If you cannot make a small area look good with your product, applicator and process, you will not be able to make the entire surface look good. It's always a good idea to test first and error on the side of caution, versus make a mistake you cannot undo.

And

How to use ScratchX by hand to remove defects like these,
              1. Scratches
              2. Swirls
              3. Bird Dropping Etchings
              4. Water spots
              5. Scuff and Mars

++ = Success!

A couple of important notes to consider,

1) Clear coats are harder than traditional paints. This means they are more difficult to remove defects out of, especially by hand. This is part explains the increase in popularity of the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher.

2) ScratchX is not a wipe-on, wipe-off product, (WOWO), it's more of a wipe on, work in product, (WOWI). You need to apply with a clean foam applicator pad and work the product in with a little passion.

Here is how to remove a bird dropping etching or an isolated scratch.[list=1][*] Only work a small area at a time - about 6 inch by 6 inch area or smaller[*] You can apply using a combination of circular motions and straight-line motions[*] Work the product against the finish until it looks as you have almost run out of product.[*] Re-apply the product and repeat the above steps 2-3 more times[/list=1]
              When I apply ScratchX like I have listed above, I am able to get out about 95% of a bird dropping etching or isolated random scratches.

The trick is to work the product in until it just begins to disappear and to apply more than one application. You see, the ScratchX, like all Meguiar's Paint Cleaners, contain a diminishing abrasive, as you work ScratchX in, the microscopic diminishing abrasives gently abrade the surface removing small particles of paint. But as you work it in, these diminishing abrasives breakdown. Thus, they quit abrading the finish and actually polish the finish to a clear, high gloss. This diminishing action turned polishing action is a benefit to you because it enable you to work out defects without leaving scratches behind.

Because the diminishing abrasive breakdown, you need to re-apply and repeat the process until the defects are removed.

Note: You can rarely remove a bird dropping etching, or a scratch, from a clear-coated finish with one application.

"A little technique goes a long way"

ScratchX works, if you work it. It takes a little practice to get the hang of removing defects out of modern clear coats with hi-tech products like ScratchX. It' not like the old days with a traditional lacquer or enamel paint job where you could apply some old-fashioned rubbing compound and in a few passes, the scratch would be gone, (and so would a lot of your paint).

High gloss clear coats are thin delicate surface coatings that are easily dulled and easily scratched. Once they are dulled down and/or scratched, it takes the right product, the right technique together with the human element of care and passion to massage them back to a glistening gemstone.

Have patience, and if at first you don't succeed, try try again.

4. Can ScratchX, be used by applying it with the G-100?
              Yes, but ScratchX contains a polymer that doesn't like to be warmed, when it is warmed it can become gummy to wipe off, knowing this a head of time, if you use ScratchX by machine, be careful when you wipe it off so that you don't instill scratches at the same time.

Most of these questions were answered from information I included in one of your previous questions when I included this,

List 'O Links

Many of the things we cover in our Saturday Classes are discussed and talked about in the threads found in the sub-forums of the Information Station

For example,

Circles or Straight Lines?
              Which LSP is Best for Light Colors
              How To Remove Swirls By Hand
              Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line
              How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX
              How to locate Meguiar’s Professional & Detailer products in your hometown
              How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test
              The Dual Action Counterweight "Controversy"
              What are the Differences Between Meguiar's Waxes
              What's the Deal with "Layering"?
              Measuring Clear Coat Thickness
              Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer
              Glass Polishing...Deep Cleaning
              NXT Tech Wax Cure Time
              Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car
              Colored Waxes - Do they really work?
              PC + #83 not "Cutting" it! - The Limits of the Dual Action Polisher
              What it Means to Remove a Scratch
              Why Meguiar’s Recommends Polishing Paint
              Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
              A Lesson From White Paint
              Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Here's one more...

3. Will an orbital buffer work with your products?

Yes.

Orbital buffers are designed to help you safely produce a better shine with less effort on your part. Orbital buffers, offer the safe oscillating-action that Meguiar's G-100 Dual-Action Polisher uses, the primary difference being one of size and design.

Traditional Orbital buffers are typically larger than the G-100 and typically have two handles on opposite sides of the buffer unit itself. There are smaller Orbital buffers on the market, and some with different handle configurations, but in the end, they all do the same thing and that's use a random, oscillating motion to safely apply cleaners, polishes and protectants.

The benefit to using an orbital buffer is, generally speaking, they will produce better, more even results than the results you can achieve only using your hands. The only drawback to the orbital buffer is sometimes their larger size can make it difficult to work on small areas, like windshield posts, or tight spaces like the space under a rear deck wing. Since most orbital buffers use a large 8" to 11" buffing pad, you tend to use more product because the pad itself will absorb a certain amount of your product.

Note: Meguiar's more aggressive Paint Cleaners and Compounds in the Professional Line should only be applied with a rotary buffer by an experienced technician.

Meguiar's G-100

In recent years, Meguiar's G-100 Dual Action Polisher has become incredibly popular with serious enthusiast and avid Meguiar's fans. Unlike traditional orbital buffers, the G-100 uses a backing plate, which utilizes a Velcro Quick Change system so that you can quickly and easily switch from a polishing pad like the W-8006 to a final finishing pad like the W-9006. The smaller 6" size provides plenty of cleaning and polishing action while using dramatically less product because of the smaller size. The G-100 is also lighter in weight making it incredibly easy for just about anyone of any skill level to use. Its smaller size allows it to be used on smaller areas and in tighter space making more versatile all around. Best of all, Meguiar's offers a LIFETIME WARRANTY in case there are ever any problems. Simply return the G-100 to Meguiar's and Meguiar's will replace the G-100 with a brand new model, no questions asked.

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');