• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avoid trim cleaning right after waxing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoid trim cleaning right after waxing?

I heard that NXT wax requires 12 hours to cure, and that no liquid should touch the waxed surface during the cure time.

So must I avoid using Meguiars brushes (Triple Duty Detail Brush, Slide Lock Detail Brush) right after waxing to clean the trim with the aid of Quick Detailer or Gold Class Trim Detailer, NXT Tech Protectant (this thing has some cleaning ability) etc.?

P.S.

Do you think the “Keep off . . “, “Do not use . . . “ , or “Not intended for . . “ warnings on paint care products are good indicator of the level of the trim staining problem?
    DC3 has no such warning, while NXT liquid wax has “KEEP OFF . . “ warning. However, I find that NXT liquid wax is more trim friendly than DC3. (My NXT liquid wax is purchased on Jan. 06. It might or might not be the reformulated (2005) one. Anyway, we must admit that there are various trim surfaces.)

Yes, there are as many different-reacting trim surfaces/materials/textures as there are cars and colors.

There are many techniques for keeping your trim clean. One is to just be very careful about contacting the trim when you are waxing (of course, this is easy to say, another to not have an oops). If you are polishing beforehand, it's always a good idea to mask the trim, in which case you can leave it masked until after the wax is applied. Another way is to dress the trim before you wax; in that manner, the trim will be resistant to staining, and you should be able to just wipe it off (I don't do this much...I'm guessing that most that do don't buff the dressing off the trim until after they are done with the wax, therefore killing two birds with one stone).

Comment

I agree with what Setek said, and I definately plan to try the pre-dressing the trim apprach this spring. It sounds like it works pretty good. And yes, the idea is to leave the excess dressing on the trim while waxing, so it kind of collects any stray wax without lettng it get to the plastic, and then can all be wiped off.

If you want to clean your trim afterwards, spray the QD or Dressing onto a cloth, so you can control where it goes.

Meguiars recomends 12 hours to cure for all their waxes, though keep in mind this is for very very best looks... It is best to apply 2 coats of wax as your primary goal, if you can wait 12 hours or only 15 minutes. The 12 hours is sort of a secondary goal. And your wax protection wont fall apart if it rains too soon or something.

I do try to avoid using QD type products for a day on the paint.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');