• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated thread just for questions about so-called paint protection plans/products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and produ

question for Mike Phillips. Have u ever used or heard any reports about pps technolgy as a product. Take for instance a customer of mine just bought this suv and asked me to redo the interior that the dealer worked on, while i was at it i asked him if he would like it polished and waxed and then whamo i got the "i dont need it waxed for 5 years." So i asked him if they gave him anything tht he needs to use to maintain it, he then showed me a small white bottel (hotel shampoo bottle size). long storie short it had PPS writtin on it and thts it. So i went on the net and did a search there seems to be a pps as a style (if that makes sense) of protection eg. wax and sealent. And theres also a patent claim. Anyways i hope u can shed some light.

Comment

Re: Special forum just for questions about so-called paint protection plans and produ

A guy called our shop today and claimed to have a $400.00 polyurethane wax on his hummer. He wanted to know if we had anything as good as or better than this special "wax" I think he got scammed, what do you think?
      Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

Comment

He got scammed, he just doesn't know it.

You'll have educate him, might be easiest if you can get him to bring his special wax and let you do a side by side demonstrtion with it on black paint.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'll be picking up my new 2007 Nissan Altima in Super Black next month and the dealership is pushing a Simoniz System 5 with ****** paint protection for $500.
          I firmly believe Meguiar's products will be more effective. I would like some guidance on the correct steps to give my new car the ultimate paint protection when I get it home. I'm wanting to do the necessary steps the minute I get the car home from the dealership. Please provide me a detailed protocol you would follow if you were bringing home a new car.
          Also, what is your opinion on invisible bras? Do you think they are a valuable asset to protect a car or is it hype?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            Mosca said the dealership he works for uses this... have't seen him posting for a while? Let's hope his health is doing good...
            Hi Mike, Tom checking in here.

The dealership I used to work at used Resistall. The one I'm at now uses Simoniz System5. We sell it for $398, the warranty is for 5 years, and no reapplication is necessary.

Since my paycheck (and employment) depends on how many people choose Simoniz System5, everyone gets to hear about it. I simply present the product, say what it is, explain the warranty, and ask them what they prefer, the protection or the $6/mo in their pocket. About half the people say yes to the System5.

Nowhere in the literature does it say, or even imply, that the product will last 5 years; all they say is that if the vehicle gets acid rain spots, bird drop etchings, love bug etching, tree sap, etc, they will repair or repaint the affected panel. And in the actual contract they actually encourage regular washing and waxing! With SIMONIZ products, of course!

If you think about it, for the average person whose car is outside 24/7, it might not be so bad....

The thing is, people take the plan because they want their car to look nice, but without the work. They care, but they don't REALLY care; if they did, they'd wash and wax their car regularly. And since they don't REALLY care, when the car gets the marring they never think to file a claim. Because deep inside they really don't care. Think, the guy who contributes a lot to the collection plate on Sunday because he's such a SOB the rest of the week. You can spend the money but it won't compensate for the neglect.

Now, if they did file a claim, the warranty would work exactly as described; we'd buff, or color sand, or paint the panel as needed. And over a 5 year period, that could very well run over $400 on some cars, and not reach it on others. If a black Suburban parked under a flock of migrating geese it would be heck getting that top de-etched, working aroung the roof rack.

But nobody ever seems to file a claim. Because they care enough, at time of purchase, to spend the money, but they don't care enough after that.

EDIT: As far as appearance, I'd have to say that the stuff looks pretty good. It's fairly comparable to #21, not as wet as NXT but wetter than #20. It's nice and slick. I did a Corvette in the showroom with it, and a year later it's still slick. Of course the car hasn't been washed or waxed in that last year, just Cal Car Duster and a QD every now and then. Remember, the competition doesn't stand still (as well they shouldn't)!

Tom
            Last edited by Mosca; Mar 20, 2007, 06:55 PM.
            As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Mosca!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackisbest View Post
                I'll be picking up my new 2007 Nissan Altima in Super Black next month and the dealership is pushing a Simoniz System 5 with ****** paint protection for $500.
                I firmly believe Meguiar's products will be more effective. I would like some guidance on the correct steps to give my new car the ultimate paint protection when I get it home. I'm wanting to do the necessary steps the minute I get the car home from the dealership. Please provide me a detailed protocol you would follow if you were bringing home a new car.
                Also, what is your opinion on invisible bras? Do you think they are a valuable asset to protect a car or is it hype?
                Love the '07 Altima. Pushbutton start. Intelligent key. You getting the CVT or the manual? 2.5? 3.5?

Anyway, depending on where you live and how long your Altima was sitting around before you got it, it may have rail dust on parts of the car, and glue lines around where the paint guard film was taken off. Don't expect your car to have anything else on the paint, ie. wax. And don't expect the paint to be perfect. if you check the side body panels (rear quarters below the gas cap level and doors) you will notice the paint is most likely already a bit rough just from shipping. The hood will most likely look fine 'cuz it comes covered in paint guard film which is removed at the dealer, . So you'll want to start maintaining and correcting the finish from day 1.

With the invisible bra, 3M rockguard or whatever your dealer wants to call it, it does not look good on black. unless you do a lot of driving through gravel, it may look worse than the rock chips would . When you wax the car, the wax will build up on the edge of the tape, putting a white line across the hood. The Altima doesn't have any from the factory, but 350z's, muranos, pathfinders, frontiers, xterras, and versas have clear rock guard tape just in front of the rear wheel wells, you should look at a black one at the dealership and picture the front of your car wrapped in it. Silver it looks okay, black makes it look wavy and outlined, on white the film tends to look yellow after a year or two. It protects well against small rocks they use to sand the roads in the winter here, but it will still tear and chip the paint with big rocks, and is a pain to remove to repair the paint.

If I were picking up a new black car, I'd wash it as soon as I got it home, clay out the dirty feeling parts, and wax it. Some of the more experienced people might give you some more detailed instructions, but your brand new car will look better than showroom if you take care of it right away.

Comment

Thanks Glucosegrin!!
                  For economy purposes, I got the 2.5 with the CVT in the SL package. I've already ordered Meguiar's clay kit, show car glaze and the nxt generation tech wax and I'm just waiting on the car to come in. This will be the first new car I've had, so I really want to protect it from day one. I was hoping Meguiar's tech wax wouldn't leave a white residue along any leading edges..ie;leading edge on the hood where the bra adheres.

I've never used a clay bar before and I had reservations on using it on a new car, but do you feel it would be o.k. to use it on a new car? I do plan on protecting the car (polish & waxing....even claying if necessary) the minute I get it home from the dealership.
                  Thanks for your input!

Comment

Sure you can clay.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Blackisbest View Post
                      Thanks Glucosegrin!!
                      For economy purposes, I got the 2.5 with the CVT in the SL package. I've already ordered Meguiar's clay kit, show car glaze and the nxt generation tech wax and I'm just waiting on the car to come in. This will be the first new car I've had, so I really want to protect it from day one. I was hoping Meguiar's tech wax wouldn't leave a white residue along any leading edges..ie;leading edge on the hood where the bra adheres.

I've never used a clay bar before and I had reservations on using it on a new car, but do you feel it would be o.k. to use it on a new car? I do plan on protecting the car (polish & waxing....even claying if necessary) the minute I get it home from the dealership.
                      Thanks for your input!
                      Be sure to tell the dealership that you do not want them to wash your new car!

Dealership car prep people are notorius for custom installing the "swirl" option.. if you get a chance, watch them in action.
                      Meguiar's Fire/Rescue/EMS, member of the Church of the Highly Reflective Finish!
                      Waxworks Automotive Detailing

Comment

BlackisBest:

You do not need to clay your vehicle unless there is Industrial Fallout (IFO) on the surface.

You can determine this by simply taking the cellophane wrapper off a package of cigarettes and putting it over the first three fingers on your hand. Rub the various horizontal surfaces of the vehicle and if it feels like "sandpaper" then you should use the clay to remove.

You cannot remove this with wax or even with a buffer and compound, it seems to just "stay there" through the process. Claying is the only way to remove.

When finished claying you can try the cellophane trick again and see if you removed it all.

Regards

Bud Abraham
                        DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

Comment

Just a way for dealerships to make money these days since they dont make on the selling of the autos....which is part of the reason they push servicing at the dealer as well....
                          WrightDetail
                          The Wright Way
                          2007 Chevy HHR
                          2008 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 1500

Comment

I've worked at shops where I have applied either AutoArmor or Auto Butler on new cars for the local dealers. We also did under coating, rust proofing, tint, clear bra, spray bed liners, fabric protectants, and full detailing.

$500+ Paint sealant = waste of money!
                            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

New guy on the block, but just started detailing

I have a 2006 Vista Blue Mustang GT that I show in the "Driven Class" I keep the car as clean as possible for a car that has to stay outside all the time and is driven daily. Of course every once in a while I'll get a scratch or chip and I freak out. I've read so many different brands of scratch remover polish I think that's made. Can anyone out there please tell me what really work?
                              Thanks for any and all help,
                              David

Comment

New guy on the block, but just started detailing

I have a 2006 Vista Blue Mustang GT that I show in the "Driven Class" I keep the car as clean as possible for a car that has to stay outside all the time and is driven daily. Of course every once in a while I'll get a scratch or chip and I freak out. I've read so many different brands of scratch remover polish I think that's made. Can anyone out there please tell me what really work?
                                Thanks for any and all help,
                                David
                                Last edited by dcfox01; Jan 8, 2008, 07:38 AM. Reason: need to delete posted twice by mistake, sorry

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');