• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That new-car smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That new-car smell

why do we like it...and how to keep it around?
    HammerDown

It is the volatile chemicals from the plastic leaching out into the air.... its probably unhealthy, which is probably why we like it.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Well i don't know why we like it, but i do know how to keep it around for a long time. Here's what I do, I would assume this should all be common sense

don't smoke in the car (I don't smoke to begin with)

don't eat or drink( any thing that can cause spills that will end up as odors.

I don't drive with my windows down, Outside odors will overcome the new car smell, not to mention the dust. dust will get into vents and can emit odors and get into fabric

I clean my interior every week, vacuuming seats and carpet and using a Cal dash duster, clean and protect vinyl & rubber as needed

If i go out to pick up food the food is in the trunk. Anyone who has been in a car that has be use to deliver food know that the car smells really bad.

Don't leave a sweaty clothes in the car ( Gym bag of work out clothes, shoes, socks)

Use a cabin filter to filter out the dust, and change every year, some cars may not have came with them from the factory but some cars have the location for one to be added.

Easy on the cologne and don't spray it in the car

I use the all season floor mats and if they get dirt and water on them i soak it up with a towel, dirty stale water doesn't smell to great

I work for Ford and It makes me sick when i get in a car that has a couple thousand miles that smells like **** inside, 2'' of dust on the dashboard, stains, old food and drinks in the car, I don't know how people can live like that, yet there a cars with 100k + that have been cared for that still have a hint of the new car sent.

To sum every thing up, nothing is in my car that wasn't in the from the factory (scraps of paper, food, dirt etc)

Both of my cars are 3yrs old with 12- 25k on them and people always comment it still smells new how do you do that, then I bore them with everything i just typed.

If you keep it clean with no mess the new car smell will last a long time.

No company has made a "new car sent" that even comes close to a new car smell, Maybe Meguiars should look in to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
        It is the volatile chemicals from the plastic leaching out into the air.... its probably unhealthy, which is probably why we like it.
        That is true there was a report i saw on one of news channel's on this and how new cars were releasing the toxic fumes. But its such a great sent oh well it seems that everything in life now is harmful.

Comment

lol ya its from like glue and toxins but it smells so good... i think i saw a spray bottle at a gas station once labeled "new car smell"
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord
          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

I despise that smell. If you want to renew it, use #40 on your vinyl dash.

Comment

hmm may have to give that a try never used #40 before and it think its only $14
              Patrick Yu
              2003 Honda Accord

Comment

I used #40 (Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner) for the first time several days ago and I can confirm that it does indeed impart a "new car" scent. A truly wonderful fragrance!
                Last edited by intergalactica; Feb 5, 2006, 10:50 PM.

Comment

beuty
                  Patrick Yu
                  2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Try the Dash and Trim Foam, its not a new car smell, but its a very clean, fresh car smell, and it sticks around for a while. I love the dash foam, one of my top 5 favorite megs' products

Comment

it sticks around for a while
                      While we're not talking about the same product, #40 also lasted bloody long. Had to drive with all windows opened during cold winter days to try and get rid of that smell.

I could not leave the windows opened during the night, so in the morning there was such a strong smell inside it was a case of instant headache.

While I seem to bash on #40, it seemed an excellent product, just one I will never use for the interior again.

If you like that "like new" smell, you certainly won't be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Skuz
                        While we're not talking about the same product, #40 also lasted bloody long. Had to drive with all windows opened during cold winter days to try and get rid of that smell.

I could not leave the windows opened during the night, so in the morning there was such a strong smell inside it was a case of instant headache.

While I seem to bash on #40, it seemed an excellent product, just one I will never use for the interior again.

If you like that "like new" smell, you certainly won't be disappointed.
                        My favorite smell in the world for cleaning the car? Medallion leather cleaner, hands down. Mmmm.... I love the smell of #40, but for prolonged exposure, everything else just seems too "chemically" for me. It's probably a personal preference thing.
                        My car's so shiny I can see your car's swirls in its reflection.

Comment

Originally posted by SiriusRIMZ
                          Try the Dash and Trim Foam, its not a new car smell, but its a very clean, fresh car smell, and it sticks around for a while. I love the dash foam, one of my top 5 favorite megs' products
                          Nope it has to be that (new car smell)...

My 06 is 6 months old now, the new car scent is still there kind-of. More so when it's warm and sunny.

Era, whats #40 anyhow?
                          HammerDown

Comment

Hey,

Meg's #40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner is still my favorite interior dressing!!! However, I do not find that it smells like a new car, but that is just me. I love the new car smell as well!

Here is a link to the #40:

#40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner

Here is some more info:

Tim
                            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

i picked up #40 today and it doesn't smell like new car smell.. i smelled all the protectants ... and got dirty looks from everyone it actually smells like turtle wax's F21 protectant

i don't know if they were after the new car smell in their product or not

but i am just going to use #40 on the trim kind of dissapointed that it didn't smell like new car smell but hey i knew that before i bought it
                              Patrick Yu
                              2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');