Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That new-car smell

Question That new-car smell

why do we like it...and how to keep it around?
    HammerDown

It is the volatile chemicals from the plastic leaching out into the air.... its probably unhealthy, which is probably why we like it.

Focused on Detail Love 2 Detail's Avatar
    Well i don't know why we like it, but i do know how to keep it around for a long time. Here's what I do, I would assume this should all be common sense

don't smoke in the car (I don't smoke to begin with)

don't eat or drink( any thing that can cause spills that will end up as odors.

I don't drive with my windows down, Outside odors will overcome the new car smell, not to mention the dust. dust will get into vents and can emit odors and get into fabric

I clean my interior every week, vacuuming seats and carpet and using a Cal dash duster, clean and protect vinyl & rubber as needed

If i go out to pick up food the food is in the trunk. Anyone who has been in a car that has be use to deliver food know that the car smells really bad.

Don't leave a sweaty clothes in the car ( Gym bag of work out clothes, shoes, socks)

Use a cabin filter to filter out the dust, and change every year, some cars may not have came with them from the factory but some cars have the location for one to be added.

Easy on the cologne and don't spray it in the car

I use the all season floor mats and if they get dirt and water on them i soak it up with a towel, dirty stale water doesn't smell to great

I work for Ford and It makes me sick when i get in a car that has a couple thousand miles that smells like **** inside, 2'' of dust on the dashboard, stains, old food and drinks in the car, I don't know how people can live like that, yet there a cars with 100k + that have been cared for that still have a hint of the new car sent.

To sum every thing up, nothing is in my car that wasn't in the from the factory (scraps of paper, food, dirt etc)

Both of my cars are 3yrs old with 12- 25k on them and people always comment it still smells new how do you do that, then I bore them with everything i just typed.

If you keep it clean with no mess the new car smell will last a long time.

No company has made a "new car sent" that even comes close to a new car smell, Maybe Meguiars should look in to this.

Focused on Detail Love 2 Detail's Avatar
    Originally posted by Murr1525
    It is the volatile chemicals from the plastic leaching out into the air.... its probably unhealthy, which is probably why we like it.
    That is true there was a report i saw on one of news channel's on this and how new cars were releasing the toxic fumes. But its such a great sent oh well it seems that everything in life now is harmful.

lol ya its from like glue and toxins but it smells so good... i think i saw a spray bottle at a gas station once labeled "new car smell"

I despise that smell. If you want to renew it, use #40 on your vinyl dash.

hmm may have to give that a try never used #40 before and it think its only $14

Registered Member
    I used #40 (Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner) for the first time several days ago and I can confirm that it does indeed impart a "new car" scent. A truly wonderful fragrance!
    Last edited by intergalactica; Feb 5th, 2006 at 09:50 PM.

beuty

TIME's Man of the Year SiriusRIMZ's Avatar
    Try the Dash and Trim Foam, its not a new car smell, but its a very clean, fresh car smell, and it sticks around for a while. I love the dash foam, one of my top 5 favorite megs' products

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information