• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure Washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Washer

Hi guys,

Can you guys recommend a quality pressure washer for me? I will use it for washing the car mostly and some driveway cleaning but nothing more. I don't think I need anything super expensive so please let me know what brand and model to get. Thanks!

Peter

Re: Pressure Washer

Originally posted by pklin
    Hi guys,

Can you guys recommend a quality pressure washer for me? I will use it for washing the car mostly and some driveway cleaning but nothing more. I don't think I need anything super expensive so please let me know what brand and model to get. Thanks!

Peter
    I have been researching this myself. Lowes has a Karcher I think it's 1200psi or there abouts for $99.99. Home Depot has one with what they call a docking station for $119.00. I'm not sure of the brand name but the docking station is a nice idea.

Comment

for home use an electic one is perfect .like the karcher ..doubt you need 2300psi or more like the gas ones..
      RZ AutoDetailing

My Gallery

Comment

i have a jobmate electric pressure washer picked it up for $75... had it for a few months and its still working fine but search around Octaneguy seems to love his 1300 psi pressure washer
        Patrick Yu
        2003 Honda Accord
        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

I bought a Karcher 1400 psi pressure washer from Amazon recently. Check out this lengthy thread.

It was on sale and had a rebate too. Definitely worth it. I also feed it with Gold Class Car Wash--bigger jug and less expensive than NXT Car Wash--since it uses a lot more soap than you normally would with a bucket. But I like it a lot.
          Richard Lin
          ShowCarDetailing
          5548 E. La Palma Ave
          Anaheim, CA 92807
          toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

Having owned uhm [trying to remember..] three or four pressure washers, I've found that more power is better. I've also found Karchers (both gas and electric) to be extremely unreliable, that's why I've had so many of them...

Also, FWIW, I don't use them for washing vehicles, with the rare exception of really nasty undercarriages. I don't like the idea of forcing water/dirt/whatever under/around seals and even when you're being careful, you can blast trim right off the vehicle. You also have to be careful that you don't force the dirt into the paint. A few years ago there was a big dust-up about people messing up the bead/sealing of wheels/tires by using pressure washers on them. I know plenty of people *do* use them for this sort of thing, but be very careful if you decide to try it.
            Practical Perfectionist

Comment

I think there are several factors here:

1.) From what I understand, the old Karchers made 2 or 3 years ago were not of the quality they are today. I don't know that for a fact, but I've been using my Karcher a lot, and it's been fine. I'll post back in 6 months and see. Besides for the price, it can't be beat.

2.) Another misconception about pressure washers--something I didn't understand until I got one---you can adjust the spray from just a dribble to maximum force. Put the pressure wand an inch away from a surface at max force and yes it will damage paint. Keep it 6 inches away, and it's very soft. In fact, it feels very much like air blowing with a water mist rather than a harsh water jet.

Richard

Originally posted by Accumulator
              Having owned uhm [trying to remember..] three or four pressure washers, I've found that more power is better. I've also found Karchers (both gas and electric) to be extremely unreliable, that's why I've had so many of them...

Also, FWIW, I don't use them for washing vehicles, with the rare exception of really nasty undercarriages. I don't like the idea of forcing water/dirt/whatever under/around seals and even when you're being careful, you can blast trim right off the vehicle. You also have to be careful that you don't force the dirt into the paint. A few years ago there was a big dust-up about people messing up the bead/sealing of wheels/tires by using pressure washers on them. I know plenty of people *do* use them for this sort of thing, but be very careful if you decide to try it.
              Richard Lin
              ShowCarDetailing
              5548 E. La Palma Ave
              Anaheim, CA 92807
              toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

Having owned uhm [trying to remember..] three or four pressure washers, I've found that more power is better.
                Greater volume and pressure can be very beneficial in most cases. The first portable, small electric unit I owned was only 1400 PSI and 1.3 GPM. This was enough to mist the area around me, but not do a lot of the heavier agitation needed underhood and in wheels and wells.

I've also found Karchers (both gas and electric) to be extremely unreliable, that's why I've had so many of them...
                Strange, because the first home model Karcher electric I bought in 1998 was a backup for our business as well as for use on some off-site jobs. It was very sturdy and I bought a second one shortly after for the same purposes. The main electric unit we had in our shop was an industrial Karcher model. It was used at least 5 days per week, mostly 6-7 though. It was a 230V 3 phase electric motor and pump combination that put out 4 GPM at 2250 PSI. It needed repairs once in the 2.5 years it was in service professionally.

Accumulator, have you found a home unit that you prefer over Karcher or are you still searching for the right one?
                See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Originally posted by OctaneGuy
                  From what I understand, the old Karchers made 2 or 3 years ago were not of the quality they are today. I don't know that for a fact, but I've been using my Karcher a lot, and it's been fine. I'll post back in 6 months and see. Besides for the price, it can't be beat.
                  Karcher didn't have a low priced, entry level machine that competed with the far cheaper models sold at Sears and other large retailers. They responded by cutting their costs and features (read: durability) to price themselves into the do-it-yourself/home consumer market. Many, like myself, who were accustomed to the industrial models from Karcher were sorely disappointed with their consumer line offerings.

The Karchers I see on shelves at big box stores seem to offer even more power and features than they did 5-7 years ago, but the prices are about the same, if not a bit less. I've read great things, such as from Richard, both online and elsewhere.
                  See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Originally posted by OctaneGuy
                    I think there are several factors here:

1.) From what I understand, the old Karchers made 2 or 3 years ago were not of the quality they are today. I don't know that for a fact, but I've been using my Karcher a lot, and it's been fine. I'll post back in 6 months and see. Besides for the price, it can't be beat.

2.) Another misconception about pressure washers--something I didn't understand until I got one---you can adjust the spray from just a dribble to maximum force. Put the pressure wand an inch away from a surface at max force and yes it will damage paint. Keep it 6 inches away, and it's very soft. In fact, it feels very much like air blowing with a water mist rather than a harsh water jet.

Richard
                    Hey Richard,

Pressure washers all vary greatly. But until one has put through 500 hours plus through one, durability will not be really known. Further, the more industrial models use spray tips to adjust the spray pattern and therefore the force of the water. For washing cars, I use a 40 degree tip which provides enough force yet is not too aggressive. I have 25, 15 and even a 0 degree tips though they do not go near paint. I have blown holes through all kinds of stuff with the 0 degree tip, and at good distances away!!

Tim
                    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I never replaced the gas powered Karcher; I had it repaired (again) last year and I haven't used it since. I never found the smaller electric ones powerful enough for jobs around the house, not that they ever kept working long enough to get a good workout I was much happier with the gas powered one; as OctaneGuy said you can turn them down to where they're hardly a "pressure" washer at all. But of course they don't clean as effectively then either

Guess I should've gone with the 230v one instead of the "consumer grade" 120v models. Overall though, I decided I like the gas powered one best. I can use it all over the propery and only have to worry about a hose hookup, which isn't as big a hassle for me as also running a 230v power cord. A 230v model might be handy in the garage if I were doing other people's vehicles (undercarriages, etc.) but I don't really need it for mine.

If I were buying a new one, I'd buy the brand most easily serviced, which around here would probably be Sears.
                      Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');