• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spot Free water softener/Filtration system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spot Free water softener/Filtration system

Thanks Tom. I have a few questions for you.

Have you had to replace the resin yet?

Yes, I got probably 1 year of washings out of the cartridges and I washed my cars about once a week in the summer. After talking to the owner of the company, it is dependant oh how hard your water is, I thought I had hard water at 86 PPM due to spotting, but he told me out west where he was it's like 300 to 400 I believe which is bad. The better your water, the longer they will last.

Have you tried recharging the resin yourself by just running salt and water?

No, I bought the replacement resin packs, you flush out the old and install the new. I have enough to last me for a while.

How is the pressure if you didn't use a power wash system? I plan on just plugging the system into just a normal hose that has measured around 75psi.

The instructions say to not exceed 75 psi inlet water pressure, but my unit came with flow restrictors you just inserted into the hose, which are not needed if you use a pressure washer. You might call them or email them on that. You might also look around for a distributor if you are interested since they upped pricing for third parties. I got mine back before they did this but I do like the unit.

Hope this helps,
    Tom

Comment

That definitely helps. Thank you!!
      Matt
      2007 Lexus RX350
      1998 Acura Integra

Comment

Wasn't the price close to $145 for the 100G unit last year? That's quite a price increase ($300 now)...guess I should have purchased it when I first saw this post.
        1999 Ford Contour SVT
        Silver Frost/Midnite Blue
        1966/2760

Comment

Same here. I think if we can get a group of 10 to purchase, they'll give some type of discount. However, it's not going to amount to $100.
          Matt
          2007 Lexus RX350
          1998 Acura Integra

Comment

You might give the owner a call, or atleast have him tell you who is carrying them. I can't remember what I gave for mine, but it was much less than they are now. For a price increase like that, someone else should be selling them.

Tom

Comment

I have not tried this as yet but looks good:

It is mentioned in this thread:

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Weed View Post
                I ended up getting the CRSpotless DI100WM which is the wall mount unit and put it in about a week ago. I have only used it once so far, I washed a car we are selling and it was dark outside. I was curious to see the results the next morning, only to wake up wtih 2" of snow on the car. I did notice when I used that water to fill up my wash bucket, the soap was much thicker that normal, that was noticeable as was when I rinsed the car as well.

Since we now have two black vehicles and when it warms up a bit, I plan on doing a review on this system and letting the cars air dry. I will take pics and post my findings.

Tom
                Looking forward to your review and opinions!

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamicd View Post
                  Looking forward to your review and opinions!
                  Check out page 2 of this thread...

They sure have increased the prices big time of these, which is too bad...

Comment

For $300, I would rather pay a little more and install a whole house system. I put a really good one in my last house w/ electronic monitoring for recharges, and it only ran $700. I think you can get basic ones for around $350-$400.

The small one referred to above at pwgazette.com/gardenhosefilters.htm[/url] looks pretty good for just washing cars.

Hey, this thing auto URL'ed that link
                    -Mike

Comment

I just found another portable water deionization system called the "On the Go Portable Deionizer". It says it "provides up to 800 gallons of DI water". Has anyone had any experience with this one?

Comment

Never heard of them before but the info on their website looks OK.

The real questions are how much resin comes in the tank and how much do they charge per refill?

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
                          Never heard of them before but the info on their website looks OK.

The real questions are how much resin comes in the tank and how much do they charge per refill?

PC.
                          I emailed the "On the Go" company and they said they charge $80 + shipping for the resin for a refill. What concerns me is the dimensions of their tank isn't much bigger than the two CRSpotless DIW-10 system tanks, but their claim is it "provides up to 800 gallons of DI water". The DIW-10 claims about a 100 gallons. I'm not sure how the de-ionizers work, but is there a way to make a system more efficient for a given tank size? Otherwise, the "up to 800 gallons" could be for someone with good water already.

Comment

The problem with their use of "up to this or that" is that there’s no calibration, no point of reference on which you can compare directly. If you start with super pure water you can filter "up to" a million gallons.

The resin is made up of chemicals that attract and bind to the minerals dissolved in the water. As water passes over the resin the minerals in are captured. The water gets purer and purer as it flows over more of the resin.

How much mineral content can be removed depends on the amount, composition and shape of the resin granules, the mineral content of the water and how well/long the water is exposed to the resin.

Without much more specific information on the different companies’ resins’ capacity for different types of ions and your water’s ion content it’s impossible to know exactly how the two systems compare for your needs.

You may be able to get information on your local water’s mineral content from your municipal water supplier. I don’t know if the DI filter companies in question are willing (or able) to give out enough info about their products to make the calculations.

I wish there was an easy answer but there isn't.

PC.

Comment

I looked on ebay- and you could buy replacement DI resin instead of buying it from CR Spotless- saving some money!

Comment

Please excuse the dead thread resurrection, but does anybody know if these things work good for just washing cars? I need an AFFORDABLE solution to hard water!!

www. pwgazette.com/gardenhosefilters .htm (Just copy, paste, and combine the broken link in your browser to view the page- Mark)
                                Last edited by Markus Kleis; Mar 31, 2009, 11:22 PM. Reason: No clickable links before 30 posts
                                2015 Toyota Corolla S Plus in Barcelona Red Metallic

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');