• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How cold is too cold? To wax that is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How cold is too cold? To wax that is.

Hello everyone!

How cold is too cold to wax? I have the Deep Crystal System at the moment, but haven't waxed the car in over two months.

Jon

Well, I usualy dont go too much belor 35-40F... And even at those times, I usualy pick a cleaner wax, so I am done quickly.

I know A-12 and ColorX both work good at those temps.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Color X takes the place of DC #1 and DC #2 correct? If so, I've gotta run to the store tomorrow.

Any idea when the Smooth Surface Clay Kit is going to be introduced?

Cheers,
      Jon

P.S. By the way, the Steelers will win on Feb. 5th!

Comment

Both the A-12 Cleaner/Wax and ColorX actualy are cleaner/polish/waxes, so they would replace all 3 steps. You can top either of these with DC#3 if you want a second coat of wax.

ColorX is mildly abrasive, and Cleaner/Wax is an extremely mild cleaner.

I think SmoothSurface can be ordered online, but I dunno. The Quick Clay kit will be available until the swtch, if it hasnt yet, so you will be able to order some sort of clay.

And yes, of course they will
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hi Jon,

There has been many threads here on MOL discussing the temperatures for product application and removal. Here are a couple of links that may help:

Also just to make a correction so other readers do not get confused:

It is the Quik Clay System. Notice that there is no "c" in Quik.

Quik Clay System

The new Smooth Surface Clay Kit should be shipping soon if not already.

Here is some info on the A12 Cleaner Wax

Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax – This is Meguiar's best all purpose cleaner wax. A-12 as it's known by it's part name, was introduced in 1973. While most waxes come and go… this wax has been around for over 30 years and will be around as long as were driving cars. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax is a combination of non-abrasive chemical cleaners, rich conditioning oils and synthetic polymers, silicones and waxes all ingredients for long lasting paint protection. Because this Cleaner/Wax is non-abrasive it can be used on finishes in good to excellent condition with excellent results. The chemical cleaners in Meguiar's cleaner wax will clean and remove light oxidation, pore-embedding stains, built-up road grime, and air-borne contaminants. The trade secret conditioning oils will rejuvenate your paint, restoring the paint's original oils lost over time, resulting in a darker, more clear finish. The synthetic polymers, waxes and silicones will seal the paint, locking in the rich conditioning oils and protect the finish against corrosion, oxidation, chemical attack, and the detrimental effect caused by day-in, day-out driving and exposure to the environment.

Another benefit to Meguiar's A-12 Cleaner Wax is it's widespread availability, and affordable price. This makes it another good choice for people with daily drivers that would like to wax their car often. And if you like to see water beading on your car's finish after washing or following a rain storm, you will not be disappointed. The chemists at Meguiar's recently reformulated A-12 Cleaner Wax to bead water like nobody's business! Water beads are small, tall and tight and last and last. Water beading, as well as darkness gets better and better with each additional coat. Easy to use, Meguiar's Cleaner Wax wipes on easy, dries fast, and removes effortlessly with a premium quality 100% cotton towel, or Meguiar's own microfiber polishing cloth, the Ultimate Wipe. Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax can be applied by hand, dual-action polisher and orbital buffers.

Cheers!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I saw SmoothSurface at an Advance Auto Parts store.

Long time ago, I emailed Meguiars about application temperature for clay bar. At very low temp, the clay is less flexible: possibility of paint damage is slightly increased.

p.s.
            I asked the same question to Clay Magic, but they did not reply at all.

Comment

I don't really like waxing below 45 degrees. Of course, humidity can play a part too. Cold and damp equals problems. Polishes and waxes are harder to remove. During the winter, I like a day with temps above 50 degrees with lower humidity. Living down South, the temperature is generally not a problem, but the humidity is.
              Bama

Comment

Originally posted by ktlimq
                I saw SmoothSurface at an Advance Auto Parts store.

Same here.... Saw, purchased, and used all in the same day!

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');