• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Factory Paint vs. Dealer Paint Job Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Paint vs. Dealer Paint Job Q's

The tailgate of my truck has been repainted courtesy of the dealer I purchased the truck from when it was damage in their car wash. Seems the paint on the tailgate gets the "cobweb" look very easy and sometimes it almost seems to have a very light haze to it. Most wouldn't notice the haze. The rest of my truck is original paint, the original paint seems much easier to care for and doesn't get the "cobweb" look/haze it almost looks deeper and more reflective than the repaint.

Is the "after market" paint softer? What about the haze any reason it may appear to have this haze?
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Depends on the material used, but GENERALLY speaking, aftermarket finishes are not as high grade as the factory paint

The process is different, for one. The material sprayed is different.

Have you examined the haze very closely? As in, is it a surface defect, subsurface defect, or just a haziness with the top coat?

Sometimes base/clear of lesser quality will oxidize more rapidly than would a factory finish. Often, the materials may not have been mixed or cured properly when they were sprayed...lots of factors
    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

I've always found that re-paints are always softer than a factory paint. I'm not a professional, but I have taken Auto Body Shop Class in school for about a year. I re-painted a Red Ford F-150's Tail gate, and noticed the newer paint was much softer than factory.

I do not know why you have a 'haze' though.

Comment

Well, factory paints get baked on... paint shop jobs dont. That perhaps is part of the difference.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

All the others are right. There is nothing like the factory paint jobs. A custom painter can probably do better, but there is no way a dealer would pay for that expensive of a paint job. More than likely you got a paint job from their mediocre at best body shop.

Repaints are definitely softer, no question.

My biggest fear would be that the haze comes from swirl marks under the clear coat. If that is the case, a repaint will be needed.

Hopefully the swirl marks are in the clearcoat but maybe you will need a rotary and something like #83 (or maybe #84 ) to get them out.

RamAirV1
          2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');