• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wash mitt softness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash mitt softness

Today I was at Target buying a gallon of Gold Class car wash. While there, I was feeling their wash mitts to see how soft the other brands were. I noticed that their mitts were much softer than my own. I own the Meguiar's Ultra Plush Wash Mitt. I was wondering if I perhaps am not taking good enough care of my wash mitt. It does not look like it did originally (like below). Instead, it has more tufts.

What steps should I take to maintain the wash mitt? Should it go in the washing machine with my microfiber towels?
    Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
    Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

I noticed the same thing. I don't worry becouse when it's wet it gets plush and soft like it was when brand new. The Ultra Plush is the best mitt I have ever used.
    Last edited by Mark2; Jan 20, 2006, 06:25 AM.

Comment

I a lot of sheepskin wash mitts and most of have remained fluffy and soft due to my care regiment. After the wash I rinse the mitt throughly and then hang up to dry. Then after I have enough mitts I wash the mitts in cold water using tide and microfiber wash in a front loading washer (no auger in the middle) set to cold wash and rinse. After washing the mitts are damp to wet, but not soaking and my be hung out to the rest of the way. Using the above method, has prolonged the life of the wash mitts and I have some mitts for than two years. Cold water works better in my experience and cause less life shortening damage to the mitt. Hot water causes the mitts to shed the fluffy wool, which makes a mess in the washing machine.

Eric
      Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

I try to get mine as clean as possible after each use(using the hose and car wash). Then I hang them up. I sometimes put them in the washer, but I don't need to do that very often.

Comment

I had a problem with my Meguiars "Autogroom Microspun" mitt becoming matted. What I did was used a clean comb and gently combed at an angle. This did pull out some fibers, but the mitt is almost as good as new now.
          I guess next time I will go with a real wool mitt.
          Cheers,
          Manoj

Comment

You mean that, after a few machine washes, the wash mitt does look like this:

A few more detail shots:

Like I said I always wash my MF towels, mitt's etc. by machine
            at 60F, and never had any problems with it, and i agree, when
            it gets soaked in water it becomes real soft again. And I like
            it a lot
            I just love detailing

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');