• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat cleaning questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat cleaning questions

When I said qeustions I meant it.

Does Meguiar's make a hull or below water line cleaner? Or should I use a stiff wash brush and/or a pressure washer to clean areas below the water line with regular boat wash.

Does Meguiar's make polymer sealant for gelcoats?

Does Meguiar's make a medium compound for gelcoats?

Can Meguiar's gelcoat compounds be used with a PC and cutting pad or 6” wool pad or are they rotary only?

What type of gelcoat maintenance can be done to a boat, which is left in a slip throughout boating season?

Eric
    Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Re: Boat cleaning questions

Eric,

Most boat hulls, below the water line, are usually cleaned with a pressure washer. There are some rather harsh acid based cleaners that work very well at this task. However, because of the dangers associated with their use, I would not recommend using an acid based chemical.

Meguiar's #55 Polymer Sealant is available for boat gelcoats. From what I understand, #55 and #20 Polymer Sealant (for cars) are very similar, if not the same product.

Here's what I would recommend for medium compound for gelcoats:

Meguiar's #49
    HEAVY DUTY OXIDATION REMOVER
    To polish-out extreme surface oxidation and other significant surface defects.

Meguiar's #44
    COLOR RESTORER
    To polish-out mild surface oxidation, fine scratches, water spots and dullness.

For more info about Meguiar's Marine Care Products visit:

Since I do everything by hand, including boats, I really cannot comment on machine use.

I always recommend that my customers have their boat completely detailed every spring, before it goes into the water and at least once during the mid-season. The mid-season, in water detailing, includes everything above the rub-rail. Usually a one day job for most smaller boats under 25 ft in length.
    FRANK CANNA
    Mirror Finish Detailing
    23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

Thanks for the info Mirror.

Eric
      Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');