• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing Over Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Over Wax

If my car has a coat of wax on it and if i polish over it, do the oils still get into the paint? Using #9
    Last edited by Lynx131; May 8, 2004, 06:42 PM.

Yes, because #9 will remove the wax.

Eric
    Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

but what about a regular polish, like Show Car Glaze, Or Deep Crystal Polish?

Comment

I am by no means an expert with the meguiars line but from my experiances with other glazes you wouldnt be getting any benifits from it when putting it over the wax and it wouldnt last very long at all maybe till it gets wet again.

Polish is best when on the paint and then topped for added durability other than that to me its a waste of product and time

Comment

Hey,

Putting a pure polish (#3, #5, #7, #81) over top of a wax may increase the gloss, but it will not last very long. As DevilDog said, it would be better to put the wax over the pure polish.

As for #9 Swirl Remover, it would remove the wax.

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
            Hey,

Putting a pure polish (#3, #5, #7, #81) over top of a wax may increase the gloss, but it will not last very long. As DevilDog said, it would be better to put the wax over the pure polish.

As for #9 Swirl Remover, it would remove the wax.

Tim
            Now If it were a show car going on display you might try a polish over the wax... 2hotford has listed the polishes.

Wouldn't you?
            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Hey,

Yep, if you are looking for a dazzling finish for a "Car Show" and not long term durability, I would put a pure polish on top. This is a trick used by many people!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

oh, i read the question wrong from how everyone else has responded, with exception of teak. if you've got wax on your car from before, go ahead and polish and then wax. the polish will remove the old wax and lay down a beautiful surface for the new wax. my Meguiar's Rx says to polish 9 times / yr.

Comment

busy girl actually. car is outside 24/7. not into zaino.

Comment

Originally posted by denetc
                    busy girl actually. car is outside 24/7. not into zaino.
                    I guess think of it as therapy.

Comment

Originally posted by agentf1
                      9 times a year, you are going to be a busy boy. why not use something like Zaino and have it look great for a long time?

Does polish really restore the oils in the paint? Could somebody educate me on this? I have seen show cars that sit in garages and are only washed with water occasionally and look awesome for 15 or more years, rarely/never glazed or waxed, even laquer paint.
                      Please tell me Zaino isn't going to be your answer to everyones' questions?

If her Rx said to polish 9 times a year, wouldn't you guess maybe her area has horrible contamination and she parks it in terrible environments? Not to mention, it's just a guide, in no means a perfect prescription. Zaino won't help stop acid rain or tree sap or chemical fallout if she lives/parks in some horrific area (the Rx includes stuff like that).

As far as polishing oils, what's your point? Are you saying paint doesn't look better after using a product like #81 or #7? For oils being removed, you just said the car is indoors 15 years at a time, and never washed with any sort of detergent or anything. So it's not surprising the paint would degrade very little... But I guarantee you it is degrading if nothing is being done to it. Just sitting there is not going to make it improve!
                      Last edited by Aurora40; May 12, 2004, 11:54 AM.
                      1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
                      2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
                      1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Judging from how long the NXT lasted for me I am guessing I am in a terrible environment also and my Rx may read 12 to 15 times a year, unless it came from Dr Sal of course, then it would probably read 4 times a year for the harsh environment. Realistically I probably do it more often than that anyway.
                        The Rx she mentioned was for a polish. You are talking about protectants...

If you live in a terrible environment with chemical fallout and rain etching and tree sap (I'm making an assumption about this, but I've used the Rx thing before and it does add that stuff in, and I've never gotten one that approached polishing 9 times a year, so I'm making an educated assumption about the environment conditions that were fed into the process), applying Zaino more often wouldn't help any of that. Zaino won't remove etching or chemical contamination or anything. Nor will it prevent them from damaging the paint, though it may slow them down a bit.

I really don't want to dwell on this Zaino thing but you brought it up.
                        I brought up the Zaino thing??
                        Last edited by Aurora40; May 12, 2004, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora40
                          Please tell me Zaino isn't going to be your answer to everyones' questions?

I brought up the Zaino thing??
                          I think it was the first line of your post. you are correct, Zaino will not remove anything but I am assuming it prevents it since my daily drivers have no etching or water spots. I would also assume NXT does the same thing but what I think we are debating here is "For how long?". I am going to give Tom a call tonight as soon as I get home, hopefully I will catch him in his office. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say. If nothing else I guess we can agree to disagree, but hopefully he can shed some light on the situation.

Comment

The below etching happend from some mud puddle water that splashed onto the finish of a 2002 Corvette with 15 coats of Zaino.

Here's another shot,

Mike
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

you are correct, Zaino will not remove anything but I am assuming it prevents it since my daily drivers have no etching or water spots. I would also assume NXT does the same thing but what I think we are debating here is "For how long?".
                              Actually, I was trying to point out that the thread was about polishing products, not protectant products.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');