• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tree sap (UGH)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tree sap (UGH)

One of my cars (www.homepage.mac.com/subvet1) was parked by one of my vendors underneath a tree and the sap from the tree got on the paint and went through the clear coat...

Not sure what to do to correct..

anyone have any suggestions..

Be Gentle -- This is my first post !

Repaint or live with, In the future green rubbing alcohol remove tree sap just wax after removal use a cotton cloth and rub in one direction only
    Whats my color? Color X

Comment

Re: tree sap (UGH)

Originally posted by SUBVET
      One of my cars (www.homepage.mac.com/subvet1) was parked by one of my vendors underneath a tree and the sap from the tree got on the paint and went through the clear coat...

Not sure what to do to correct..

anyone have any suggestions..

Be Gentle -- This is my first post !
      Did you get the treep sap off? It is unusual for tree sap to go through the clear coat, but it can happen. If it went throught the clear coat you will have to repaint. Sorry to hear about that. That is the ultimate nightmare as far as detailing. I have yet to see anyone in my area that can do a good repaint, at least at reasonable prices.

I have had the best luck with clay. Alcohol never did much for me in tree sap removal. Maybe I should have used the 91% formula.

RamAirV1
      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Clay works well on sap.

I've also used WD-40 on the most stubborn, baked on stuff. It loosens the material enough that a fingernail can pop it off. On sap that's less than baked in, usually a quick squirt and wiping after about 10 seconds removes all the sap.

If I'm going to clay a finish anyway, I begin with that step and go with WD-40 on any remaining particles that didn't come off with clay.

Good luck...I looked at your website and that's quite a Plymouth you have.
        See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

How long did you have that car parked underneath the tree?
          Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
          Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

I always have good luck with clay, and follow that if need be with MPPC, as that stuff works great IMO. I've been using it recently to remove tar on CC wheels.

Tom

Comment

I had some baked in tree sap on my trunk and a combination of claybar and ScratchX took it off. It took many applications over several weeks. It got to a point that I was sure I was going straight through the clear coat because I had clayed and done ScratchX so many times.

It eventually came off and the paint still looks great but it took probably 5 different sessions and each time I'd clay it for a minute or two and then do about 10 applications of scratchX. I could see I was making progress though each time I did it.

Comment

Hey,

The tree sap has gone through your clear coat? I have never had any or any vehicles I have detailed which had tree sap on them, have it go through the clear. Do you have any close-up pictures of the tree sap which has penetrated the clear coat?

Generally to remove tree sap, I use Clay first, then Meguiar's Body Solvent, or even WD-40 to remove the larger globs. In either case, you need to be careful not to mar the surrounding paint while trying to remove the sap.

Please keep us posted!

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');