• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frustrated

well my first time useing pc hasnt gone as planned. used #9 with light cutting pad on black neon. the car looked great at first. but then i saw it in the dark with lights relcting off . it is coverd in swirls looks like i used a brillo pad on it. can anyone help

Was your "light cutting pad" a Meguiar's pad?
    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

frustrated

no, unfortunatly not but it is a name brand

Comment

So many factors could be at play here, but since we're on the subject of pads....

....I wonder if this pad is too aggressive for the product and the finish you're polishing.

Another question: how long did you run the product? Did you work it down to that last little bit of polishing film, or was it still fairly white when you stopped the DA and wiped?

Comment

Was fairly white

Comment

#9 needs to be broken down by running that DA longer than you may well have. By the time it's ready to wipe, it will be just a bit of the polishing oils in a light haze on the surface.

With all other factors remaining constant, I'd think you will get better results working the product a bit longer.

Comment

Thanks, I will try it again.....it's 9:30pm I better get to it!

Comment

Just adding a little.... When I first started to use my PC I didn't work the product in long enough.

For example, when I started to use #80 I worked it in for around 30 seconds, later after reading what others do on MOL 1.5-2 min gives better results, giving time for the product to work as it was designed.
                Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Just adding a little.... When I first started to use my PC I didn't work the product in long enough.

For example, when I started to use #80 I worked it in for around 30 seconds, later after reading what others do on MOL 1.5-2 min gives better results, giving time for the product to work as it was designed.
                  Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Re: frustrated

Originally posted by xfactor
                    well my first time useing pc hasnt gone as planned. used #9 with light cutting pad on black neon. the car looked great at first. but then i saw it in the dark with lights relcting off . it is coverd in swirls looks like i used a brillo pad on it. can anyone help

How did it look in the dark with lights reflection on it before using #9 with the dual action polisher?
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

It had halograms from body shop, but it seems like it's much worse after using #9.

Comment

It had holograms from body shop, but it seems like it's much worse after using #9.
                        If the body shop instilled holograms or buffer swirls, probably from a wool pad on a rotary buffer like Richard shared in this thread,

Then you'll probably need something more aggressive to remove these swirls like M80 Speed Glaze.

#9 is a very, very mild cleaner/polish and best results, (read best abrading ability), comes when it's applied using a rotary buffer.

Try a spot about a foot squared using the dual action polisher on the 5.0 setting with about 10 pounds of pressure and work this small area using overlapping motions. Buff for 2-3 minutes but don't buff to a dry buff.

For your last passes, lighten up your pressure and make a few more passes. Wipe this residue off immediately after you remove the machine using a clean, soft microfiber and then inspect.

Just to note, #9 is a very, rich, creamy polish, if you shake up the bottle and pour some out into your hand and feel it, it will feel like hand lotion. By itself, it will not swirl-out a finish. I suspect your pad is the culprit. Is this the stock pad that comes with some Porter Cable units?
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

No, it's an orange light cutting pad. seems pretty stiff also. Swirls on car do seem like they came from the pad. What is your reccomendation for pads if I use #80?

Comment

No, it's an orange light cutting pad. seems pretty stiff also. Swirls on car do seem like they came from the pad. What is your recommendation for pads if I use #80?
                            The orange cutting pads I've used and seen discussed are too aggressive for most people to use with a dual action polisher on a clear coat finish.

For the work involved and the results hoped for, do yourself a favor and get one of our W-8006 foam polishing pads and try this foam formula with your #9 Swirl Remover 2.0

A better solution would be to get our M80 Speed Glaze and use this instead of the #9 and your success is for the most part guaranteed.

If the swirls are deep and your paint is fairly hard, you may have to start with M83 to effectively remove them.

Check out the results on this black finish using M83 followed by M80 Speed Glaze.

Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks Mike, you are the man! I will try your plan of attack. I have so much to learn. Thanks again for your expertise.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');