• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help! chrome tarnish? chrome failure? hmm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help! chrome tarnish? chrome failure? hmm...

i started cleaning my wheels today... chrome split spoke boss 304 wheels. sprayed em with meguiars all wheel cleaner, used the spoke brush to agitate, then rinsed off. when drying my wheels, i noticed two areas about 1/4" by 1/16" occuring along the edges of two of the spokes. The patches were a brownish/copper color. I was able to use nxt metal polysh and one dissappeared completely. the other one looks better, but i can still see a copper discoloration in the area.

what is this!? is it the chrome tarnishing? what might cause it? could the wheel cleaner be causing it? is it something that will spread, or get progressively worse? is it the chrome plating coming off?

any thoughts would be appreciated!

A picture would help.
    Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

I think what your seeing is just normal rust seeping up from the the seam, or crack in the chrome. if left untreated it could permanently stain the chrome layer.

Using NXT Metal Polish on the spots is a real good idea. As well as the rest of the rim to help prevent more stains...

I would also like to see a picture or two of it also just to be sure this isn't something worse...
      Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
      08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
      98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
      82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

ok i'll get some pics asap. there's no seams on the spoke edges, so i dont think its that. i've heard two other suggestions; heat discoloration, and areas of thin chrome plating. thoughts?

Comment

If the edges are kind of sharp, there could be a gap in the plating where the leakage is occurring.
          Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts
          08 Atomic Orange Metallic C6 LS3 Z51 4LT
          98 Torch Red Convertible * SOLD
          82 Collector Edition * SOLD

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');