PDA

View Full Version : Haze still on paint

Sager09
Apr 23rd, 2005, 07:24 PM
Hi first I want to say thanks for putting me on to Speed Glaze #80 instead of #9. It is awsome! I was working on a 1998 GMC truck with Dark green paint. It had the classic swirls and spiders no big deal. I washed, clayed then used #80 with an 8000 this did the trick, then I put on a coat of NXT wax this stuff is sweet to! It looked awsome in the garage I then pulled it outside to do a final inspection and made sure all the wax was off. It was a sunny day and the truck looked good in the sun, untill I hit just the right angle and there it was a slight haze urrrrr! I am not sure what I did wrong to much pressure on the polisher? I am stumped if you can help that would be great!

Thanks Colin:wall:

travisdecpn
Apr 23rd, 2005, 07:48 PM
It could have been caused by a number of variables. What usually happens is that the polish didn't get worked enough. You want to work #80 to the point when it is almost dry, but still moist. At this point it has broken down completely, but you will still be able to remove it without running the risk of dry-buffing. Were you using the G-100 or a rotary for application?

Sager09
Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:56 PM
I was using a rotary the G-100 is on it's way.

travisdecpn
Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:59 PM
The polish probably didn't get worked long enough, there could have been other factors, but I'm going to guess that that was the case. You will really like the G-100 by the way, so much lighter and more user-friendly than the rotary. It may also be able to remove the haze left by the rotary with a w-8006 pad and some #80 set at 5. Good luck.

Mike Phillips
Apr 23rd, 2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Sager09
It looked awsome in the garage I then pulled it outside to do a final inspection and made sure all the wax was off. It was a sunny day and the truck looked good in the sun, untill I hit just the right angle and there it was a slight haze urrrrr! I am not sure what I did wrong to much pressure on the polisher? I am stumped if you can help that would be great!

Thanks Colin:wall:

Re-polish when you get the dual action polisher. It's almost impossible to produce swirl free finish is your last polishing step included the sue of a rotary buffer, that's because of the direct drive circular motion of the motor spinning the pad against the finish. Typically any haze left over by the two products you used is very light and can be removed very easily when the same to products are applied using a different motion.

Also,

Read the below two threads, they will go a long way towards helping you to understand what can and what cannot be done with a rotary buffer.

Producing a Swirl Free Finish - A few good threads to read first...

If you're new to using a rotary buffer, I would recommend reading the below two threads in the Hot Topics (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=80) because they discuss in detail working what can and what cannot be done with a rotary buffer as far as creating a swirl free finish.

Need HELP! - How to avoid holograms? (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4929)

How to avoid swirls and holograms? (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4966)

In the end, in order to guarantee a completely swirl free finish on a dark colored paint in bright lights, you're going to need to re-polish each panel either by hand or with a dual action polisher to insure any swirls induced by the direct drive circular contact between your pad and the paint is removed.

Read the above two threads and think on the things written in them. There is a lot of good information in them that will hopefully help you to understand the physics of what is taking place on the surface of the paint during the paint polishing process.

Polishing paint is an art form, there is lot more to it than the words often quoted from the movie, "The Karate Kid"

"Wax on, wax off"

Art of any kind is an expression of emotion by the artist, it is a discipline, it is a mindset, it is a way of life...

Sager09
Apr 24th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Thanks Mike:bounce I can't wait for the new polisher to arrive. thanks for the links I have learned so much from this site it's great! I guess I am a little picky but I just want to turn out a good product that looks awsome.

Thanks Again,
Colin
p.s. is the Porter Cable 7424 the same as the G-100

Mike Phillips
Apr 24th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Sager09
Thanks Mike:bounce I can't wait for the new polisher to arrive. thanks for the links I have learned so much from this site it's great! I guess I am a little picky but I just want to turn out a good product that looks awesome.

Thanks Colin, for the nice compliment, I like to think the information you can get here on this forum is "University Level". There are a lot of detailing forums on the Internet, but I often see the things posted here borrowed and posted by people on other forums as though it's their own words, which is compliment in a way.

Thanks Again,
Colin
p.s. is the Porter Cable 7424 the same as the G-100

Yes, they are both dual action polishers