PDA

View Full Version : Business card comments wanted

scrub
Feb 16th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Here's my first attempt at designing a business card. What do you think? I'm pretty new at photoshop. (like most any other program I've been using lately)

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/694businesscardovernite2-med.gif

I think there might be too much red.

I used different fonts to keep people's attention. Some of the text effects were just kind of mistakes that I think work well. Thinking of adding a lens flare to the hood/windshield area below the company name.

My inkjet print comes out ok. I'm still working on the company name effects to make it stand out more. Might need to change to a thicker font.

benhui86
Feb 16th, 2005, 08:09 PM
i like it, very classy, but is the black background going to cost more than just a plain white background?

gb387
Feb 16th, 2005, 08:17 PM
I think its a great start.... Looks good the only thing that kind of sticks out a bit is the email and web area. To me it looks like it should be arranged a little different. Not sure why maybe its that the words "email" and "web" are on a different line as the actual email address and web address?!?! not really sure exactly heck maybe its just me.

I like red so to me that part looks good.... Like the car! :xyxthumbs

Chris Nemlich
Feb 16th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I would suggest removing the red from behind your slogan. Maybe a lens flare effect on or around the word shine? The red blur takes away from the rest of the card IMHO though.

I would also suggest moving the company name slightly fruther from the car, seems to be almost touching.

I would put you name, "Owner", and phone number down by your email and web address too but that's just me. If you do that you can move where your slogan is and maybe have it take up a little more verticle space.

Just throwing out some ideas, take them as you wish. I actually really like what you have so far, just being picky to try to help you!

:xyxthumbs

Chris

imp2000ls
Feb 16th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I like your business card.

Your choice of colors compliment themselves. Classy.

The only suggestion I have is that I'm not keen on the text for the email and telephone. Too gothic script for such a modern lookin business card.

imp2000ls
Feb 16th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Sorry Scrub.

I should of said email and web text. I like the telephone # text.

Mike Phillips
Feb 16th, 2005, 09:45 PM
If you have an e-mail account with your Internet hosting account, set your e-mail up there so your e-mail will be,

Rick@aikenautodetailing.com

Less is more, keep everyone focused on one website address. You should be able to use the mail forward option to forward any e-mail sent to Rich@aikenautodetailing to go to your gforcecable e-mail account.

Just a suggestion...

Mike

Mike Phillips
Feb 16th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Also, if your mobile, then state that, if you have a brick & mortar store, then state that, take all the work out if letting the customer know what you can do for them.

If you come to them, stating your mobile will tell them that.

If they have to come to you, listing your street address will tell them that they have to arrange to bring you their car.

Don't make them wonder or guess.

Mike

black240sx
Feb 16th, 2005, 10:30 PM
I suggest using fewer fonts.

Your business name and slogan can be a bit flashy, but the other information should be plain for easy reading.

Rob66
Feb 17th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Excellent choice of colours looks really good/classy.

My only comment would be (and i'm no expert) is that the Company name is a touch to close to the car windshield. And possibly stick to 2 fonts. I think the Font used for the 'Strap/Tag line looks really good.

IMO.:xyxthumbs

Rob

ftboomer
Feb 17th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips
If you have an e-mail account with your Internet hosting account, set your e-mail up there so your e-mail will be,

Rick@aikenautodetailing.com

Less is more, keep everyone focused on one website address. You should be able to use the mail forward option to forward any e-mail sent to Rich@aikenautodetailing to go to your gforcecable e-mail account.

Just a suggestion...

Mike

Along those same lines, if you want a gmail account, let me know. I agree with Mike, your email name should be your web address I think it is also a bit too long.

As for the cards, looks great, as someone else said, very classy look.

SingingSabre
Feb 17th, 2005, 08:59 AM
I think it you should take out the "web" and "email" lines. People will know if that's a website vs. an e-mail. That will free up some space on your card to list whether you're mobile or in a building.

Remember to not make it too busy. I would change the effects around your motto a little, make them a little less obtrusive.

Otherwise, I love it! Great card!

scrub
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks a ton folks. Seeing all the helpful replies just made my day... :xyxthumbs I will work through all the comments and post the next rev. Soon!

Also thank you for the direct and candid replies. Nobody just ripped the card and said "it's sorry". I got information about areas of improvment. Now I can use the comments and really improve my card. :coolgleam

Carl
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Just a little thing...

Where you have "email" and "web" the font of those words is a little gothic. Maybe you could go with a more classy font...just a thought.

scrub
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Carl
Just a little thing...

Where you have "email," the font of that word is a little "gothic." Maybe go with something a little less "choppers."

I didn't care for the font either! :D Thanks for the input.

Vandelete
Feb 17th, 2005, 05:48 PM
:D Hey Scrub ..good job making that Buisines card..i really like it. but i must say too..leave the Gothic font behind and choose one who will fit in like the font wich Aiken detaling was made with..but the rest speaks for itself. :xyxthumbs

scrub
Feb 17th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Here's my next draft. Thanks again for the comments. I tried to fit them all in. I'm still having problems with the web and email on the bottom with the tag line. Maybe I need to drop the tag line from the card.

Ideas?? Thanks.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/694businesscardovernite3-med.gif

gb387
Feb 17th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Hey scrub nice work! I like that one better one more small thing the word "SHINE" and your email seem to run together a little. If there was a way to separate them more? hummm.... maybe its just me.

I think its much more fine tuned than the first one nice work!

scrub
Feb 17th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Thanks again. Yeah I'm still trying to work out the spacing.

SpoiledMan
Feb 17th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Rick, how about making the email on one line and your tag line one line? Otherwise, I like!

scrub
Feb 17th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Great idea. :xyxthumbs I think it works well. Thanks for the help. What do you think?

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/694businesscardovernite4-med.gif

SingingSabre
Feb 17th, 2005, 10:46 PM
I think it looks great now!

Perhaps you should space the motto a little more evenly?

black240sx
Feb 17th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure that the underlining is adding anything to your motto. Try leaving it out.

SpoiledMan
Feb 18th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Much better. I do agree with the above posters in saying that the motto should be spaced as a single statement and maybe lose the underscoring. Play around with it and see what happens.

scrub
Feb 18th, 2005, 07:49 AM
I guess the tag line wasn't working. Here's what I was going for.

1. The reason for the underscoring was to visually show what I offer my clients. The "what's in it for me" that a business has to answer for clients to get their business. So I underscored "Your Car to show the client what they would be getting. Their car cleaned. I underscored the "Our time" to show the client their car was getting cleaned by us and saving them time. This to me is creating value for my client's. Value in terms of money yes, but also value in something more important, their Time.

2. I spaced out the tag line and was going to add puncuation to the first part but space was running out and starting to look bunched.

Again thanks for the good ideas and comments. Please don't read the above as an argument. I'm giving you my reasoning behind the tag line. Tell me if it makes sense or did I go off the deep end on that!! :db:

Here's the updated card. I think I've added everyones comments, which were some very valuable comments and ideas. Keep the comments coming, please! I think we're getting close to print! party:

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/694businesscardovernite31-med.gif

SpoiledMan
Feb 18th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Now I didn't say you had to take the underscore away just to play with it. Center the tag line and you're ready for the print button.;)

ftboomer
Feb 18th, 2005, 07:57 AM
I like the changes, looks great now.

SingingSabre
Feb 18th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by SpoiledMan
Now I didn't say you had to take the underscore away just to play with it. Center the tag line and you're ready for the print button.;)
:iagree: :xyxthumbs

black240sx
Feb 18th, 2005, 10:51 AM
If you look closely, there is a swirl mark on the right fender of the car.

lol, just kidding. The card looks great. :xyxthumbs

scrub
Feb 18th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by black240sx
If you look closely, there is a swirl mark on the right fender of the car.

lol, just kidding. The card looks great. :xyxthumbs

That'll buff right out. Or I can photoshop it out. That's a good one! :xyxthumbs

scrub
Feb 18th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by SpoiledMan

I realize I didn't have to remove the underscoring. What I was trying to do with the underscore wasn't working. So if your impression was it didn't add to the card then I agree. Everyones fresh point of view is giving me a better perspective from a clients point of view.

Maybe some of you deal with business cards everyday and see the good ones and the bad ones. I think the card looks dramatically better. Thanks again.

I will center the tag line. One of the first comments was to remove the red behind the tag line. I really just scaled it back. Is that enough not to distract or should I remove??

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/694businesscardovernite3_2-med.gif

SpoiledMan--> The email and tag line idea of each on one line was a great idea.

Rob66--> How's the font now. I used 3 types. Does that cause confusion or unwanted busyness? I know you said try to use 2.

Chris Nemlich--> Is the arrangement of the card in better shape now with the changes made?

This should be about all the comments added. :bow Thanks again for taking the time to read, reread, and reply to all the messages. I thought it was a great looking card before but with a few minor changes the card exceeded my expectations. I'd like to thank everyone and a give special thanks to Vandelete. His lessons and tutorials have been very helpful in learning how to create and design different projects. He is a true friend and professional.

gb387
Feb 18th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Thats it! looks good nice work.

Vandelete
Feb 18th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Looks very nice now! great :xyxthumbs

Superior Shine
Feb 18th, 2005, 04:56 PM
my 2 cents ----

If you didn't personnally detail the viper it shouldn't be on there.

I believe you should have a logo.

The tag line dosn't do anything but take up space.

It is a handsome card though.

scrub
Feb 18th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Superior Shine
my 2 cents ----

I didn't detail the viper. I've been asking myself that question. I tried to convince myself it would be alright. Thanks for pointing that out. I feel the same way.

Anyone have any good logo ideas instead?? :)

scrub
Feb 18th, 2005, 06:55 PM
my 2 cents ----

The tag line dosn't do anything but take up space.

It is a handsome card though.

Thanks for the motivation to try something new. I went out on a limb on this one. Its a bit grainy on screen. I hope it turns out better. The original is crystal clear.

Thanks SS for your direct and honest comments. I think this is even better than the previous version.

I did keep the place holder tag line for lack of a better one.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/694newcard1-med.gif

Superior Shine
Feb 18th, 2005, 08:03 PM
If you detailed that vette then this is something I am liking.

Keep your name over to the left side just move your name up a little. Then put your tagline under that. Have your e-mail and web address at the very bottom that is where most people expect to see it.

scrub
Feb 18th, 2005, 08:10 PM
we'll do, thanks.

scrub
Feb 18th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Here's the changes. I did detail this vette last summer. The pics didn't turn out great except this one. I kept it just in case I might be able to use it in the future. :xyxthumbs

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/694newcard2-med.gif

Thanks again for your help. ;)

Superior Shine
Feb 19th, 2005, 12:12 AM
I like it. What do you think?

black240sx
Feb 19th, 2005, 12:54 AM
Just a thought here... "mobile detailing" can cover a wide spectrum, from people that mainly just do car washing, to those that do expert polishing, etc.

You might change the subtitle from "mobile detailing" to "mobile professional". You already have "detailing" in the business name, so it may not be necessary to repeat it.

The idea is to attract the right type of customer.

scrub
Feb 19th, 2005, 06:08 AM
I like it. What do you think?

For some reason, I think the new card really speaks for itself. The original revision of the card could have been used for a salesman at a dealership. It didn't say "detailing". The new rev says detailing just by looking at the background picture. Plus it might make people ask questions like:

What kind of car is that?
Did you detail this car?
Who owns that car?

These kind of questions can break the ice and lead to discussions of products and car cleaning. Then that would give me an avenue to explain my services, products, and technique knowledge. In other words I think the card could generate interest in my detailing business from a client's perspective. Plus I think the card enhances my company's image.

Thanks again for setting me straight. That's kind of why I have waited so long to make a card. I didn't want a cookie cutter card or borrowed image. The new season is about to start and I wanted a card asap.

black240sx--> Thanks for the comment. I agree that detailing in the name and the next line is redundant. How about "Professional Mobile Service". Am I a professional though? :D I'll post new rev in a few minutes. Thanks for the input.

Chris Nemlich
Feb 19th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Scrub,

I love the new version. This is the same thing I struggled with myself. My original card had a very nice looking 2005 Corvette on it. I then opted to change it to a reflection shot off of a hood I detailed.

For some reason your name, "Ower", and phone number seem....lost? They don't seem to fit right now. Maybe play around with different fonts or arrangements.

If you want to try some new things you can play around with small changes like putting a "-" in between your email and web address. Ties them together a little bit.

It is looking very nice now scrub!

One question, are you paying to get these printed? If you are going with multicolor will cost more and you usually cannot get the raised ink.

Looking good scrub!

:xyxthumbs

Chris

scrub
Feb 19th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Ok here we go. Got the Mobile thing fixed, I think. Got the Name thing fixed, I hope. And add dashes to the web info.

For the name, I dropped the owner stuff. I don't think it adds to the card. Kind of made that line off balance. Do you think people really car the owner of the business does the work as long as its done right the first time and the work was finished when promised?

I think I need a logo somewhere on the card. Maybe across from the name line. I don't have a clue how to come up with a pro logo though. Any ideas??

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/694newcard1_2-med.gif

Superior Shine
Feb 20th, 2005, 12:28 AM
That card is SWEET!!!

scrub
Feb 20th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the help everyone.

Superior Shine--> thanks for pushing business integrity and image. I was trying to pass off and call it a schedule crunch to justify using the viper. Now I can say "yes I detailed the car on my card". I didn't think I had a good enough picture to use for a card. I just kind of found the pic in my detailed cars folder. Like I said I kept the pic incase I might have needed it some day. Who knew! :db:

I guess no other comments means we can go to print?? :xyxthumbs

What about the term "Professional"? What makes a pro and do I qualify?

SingingSabre
Feb 20th, 2005, 12:03 PM
You're a professional if you make money from it. At least, that's how I understand it.

You've studied, researched, and practiced to no end how to detail cars. You keep up with current research, techniques, products, etc. I'd say you're past being a hobbiest or amateur!

:)

scrub
Feb 20th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by SingingSabre
You're a professional if you make money from it. At least, that's how I understand it.

You've studied, researched, and practiced to no end how to detail cars. You keep up with current research, techniques, products, etc. I'd say you're past being a hobbiest or amateur!

:)

Thanks for the info. I never thought of it like that. Thanks again.

I'd just like to add that being a member of a board doesn't make one a professional. Its the talented and dedicated members that are willing to share their knowledge to see other members advance and succeed. :bow

FlaresideLariat
Feb 20th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Hey, i really like the new card you came up with, gives customers a chance to see your work. Plus it looks more positive than the black background.

Start printing!!

scrub
Feb 20th, 2005, 01:53 PM
I hear ya! Thanks ;)

Rob66
Feb 21st, 2005, 11:16 AM
Looks great Scrub.

Just a thought but how about:

'We use our time................' instead of

'We take our time...............'?

Fab card either way.

Rob:xyxthumbs

Murr1525
Feb 22nd, 2005, 02:42 PM
Card looks good... I like the new Vette one better. I dont know how far you have gone printing it out yourself, or taking it to get printed, but you really may need to do that before you can be sure it will look good. Different paper/cardstocks, different printers, etc could affect your final outcome. May need a few rounds of trial and error with that as well.

scrub
Feb 22nd, 2005, 03:25 PM
Thanks

Rob66--> I'll look into your idea and post something later.

Murr1525--> I'm going to use a print shop. With my inkjet the cards are OK.

Thanks again.

scrub
Feb 24th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Last time. Need your help to choose which card. I asked some friends to pick the card and most liked the red viper and didn't care for the vette as it was too abstract. So here we go. Please pick card 1 or card 2. Thanks.

Card 1
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/694newcard1_2_2-med.gif

Card 2
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/694newcard1_2-med.gif

SpoiledMan
Feb 24th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Card 1 sir. I love the dark and rich black paint.

scrub
Feb 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the vote. I'm beginning to like card 1 too. I like the fact card 1 has the tail light to give people a better idea of what the background image is supposed to be.

How's things out in Cali? Hope everything is ok with all the rain and all.

black240sx
Feb 24th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I like card 1 the best.

scrub
Feb 24th, 2005, 07:01 PM
black240sx--> Thanks again my friend. That's 2 for 2 so far.

SpoiledMan
Feb 24th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by scrub
Thanks for the vote. I'm beginning to like card 1 too. I like the fact card 1 has the tail light to give people a better idea of what the background image is supposed to be.

How's things out in Cali? Hope everything is ok with all the rain and all.

Thanks for asking! All is good as I don't have the money to live on a hill that might slide here. I was pretty busy today catching up and all of the cars were DIRTY!!!!!

scrub
Feb 24th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Glad to hear that. Good to hear business is picking up. I have a busy weekend planned. :coolgleam

gb387
Feb 24th, 2005, 08:09 PM
I am for card 1 as well... seems the words stad out more as well.

Tim Lingor
Feb 24th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Hey Scrub,

Well...I too vote for card #1. It just seems to have the "right" look to it, IMHO. :)

Tim

SingingSabre
Feb 24th, 2005, 10:19 PM
I also like Card 1 better than 2...but it's only slightly!

OctaneGuy
Feb 24th, 2005, 11:43 PM
I don't know who you are planning to get your cards printed from, but these guys are the best. I've done business cards for 4 of my businesses here. Great quality, and fast turn around.

You just upload your final file, choose how many you want made--say 100 cards or 250 cards for $14.95 or $29.95 or go for 1000's if you want.

It'll get printed the same day if you submit by 5PM PST and get sent out by UPS.

This is true 4 color printing---choose matte or glossy finish. Do 2 sided if you want.

http://www.overnightprints.com

scrub
Feb 25th, 2005, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by OctaneGuy
I don't know who you are planning to get your cards printed from, but these guys are the best. I've done business cards for 4 of my businesses here. Great quality, and fast turn around.

You just upload your final file, choose how many you want made--say 100 cards or 250 cards for $14.95 or $29.95 or go for 1000's if you want.

It'll get printed the same day if you submit by 5PM PST and get sent out by UPS.

This is true 4 color printing---choose matte or glossy finish. Do 2 sided if you want.

http://www.overnightprints.com

Funny you mention this company. I've used there template for design and planned on using their service for printing. Very helpful and great prices so far from what I can tell. Thanks for the vote and print info.

gb387, 2hotford, SingingSabre--> Thanks for voting. Card #1 is the top choice. Its the same car on the same day at about the same time. Funny how lighting makes a world of difference. Thanks again.

ftboomer
Feb 25th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Card 1 from me too.

romulus
Feb 25th, 2005, 07:04 AM
scrub,
card #1, really an eye catching.:xyxthumbs

OctaneGuy
Feb 25th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Excellent! I just submitted a new order of business cards for my own MINI Club--expanded the order to include 4 officers--which is to say I like their service. Very easy to upload your final design file. I use Adobe Illustrator (AI) for my designs--Text converted to Curves so there are no font issues.

Your 4 color printed card will look just like what you submitted. Btw, between the different designs you've posted, I really liked the first ones with the red car!! :xyxthumbs

Originally posted by scrub
Funny you mention this company. I've used there template for design and planned on using their service for printing. Very helpful and great prices so far from what I can tell. Thanks for the vote and print info.

gb387, 2hotford, SingingSabre--> Thanks for voting. Card #1 is the top choice. Its the same car on the same day at about the same time. Funny how lighting makes a world of difference. Thanks again.

Brad E
Feb 25th, 2005, 10:33 AM
I love the composition of Card 1. The way the car fits on the card is great, it shows just enough of the car to make it scream detailed Corvette. And the red of the taillights and your business name really play of each other and balance out the card. But… I will say that I think Card 2 does a better job of showcasing the shine on the car; the reflection of the tree line is very nice. Just a thought, what would happen with Card 2 if you pulled the Vette down on the card and lost the lip of the trunk, maybe even turned the car slightly? Just show the top of the trunk and rear window glass, I think that would “lighten� that card up a lot and give it a nice play of curved shapes with the glass and rear quarter panel.

scrub
Feb 25th, 2005, 05:22 PM
OctaneGuy--> I hope to close on the design of the card this weekend. I meant their not there. :D

Brad E--> Great comments. I'll work on them as time permits and post.

romulus and ftboomer--> Thanks for the votes, they do help. As you probably can guess I have trouble with making big decisions like this. :wall: I really need tons of encouragement to make up my mind on this.

Superior Shine
Feb 25th, 2005, 07:50 PM
card one -PRINT IT!

Vandelete
Mar 10th, 2005, 04:42 PM
:xyxthumbs Go card 1 Scrub...love it very much!!!

scrub
Apr 5th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Card one was the one. Got them in last week. 1000 for $39.99 plus shipping. Recieved them in 3 business days. I padi extra for that in the shipping.

Thanks for the help.

travisdecpn
Apr 5th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Excellent choice, I'm gald you went with the first one. It looks very classy and professional which is representative of the quality of work you do.

scrub
Apr 5th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Thank you my friend. My detailing is coming around. Thanks to all of you.